Aurea Tipping

ANDISIX14x11

It's a difficult question. I know MSC, with it's European flavor says there is no need to tip, but it is a more regular practice to tip in the U.S. Even if I felt the spa worker was somehow paid by MSC for providing the "free" massage service, I would feel obligated to provide some tip, just was I would be expected to tip if I paid for the massage at a spa. I think it would be appreciated. Now having said that, I don't get spa services too often. I know that DW does go to spas, both at home and at sea. She tips well at both, although she may tip less to the seemingly incessant "upsell" appeals to get customers to buy product or additional services.

For the bartenders, I would probably tip the primary bartenders well at the end of the cruise, but I also tend to give some money early. It does result in them having "better eyesight," and seeing you waiting at the bar for service before they see other thirsty non-tipping customers.

To me it's kind of like the advice Groupon and other discounters give you. Tip base not on what you paid for the deal but tip with consideration for what you would have paid if the service hadn't been free or discounted.

For those of us trying out an Aurea package but who've never gotten a massage before, what would be an appropriate tip amount for the masseuse?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

We have Aurea but won’t be tipping extra for the massage.

We do tip extra on the last night to our room steward, waiters and favourite bar people though!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have Aurea and did not tip the massage person nor did they even ask us at the desk on the way out. We tipped our room stewardess extra at the beginning and she has been great. We will be giving extra to the waiter and assistant we had all week in MDR because they too were great. We also plan to give Yuhlia the woman who seats you for Aurea in MDR extra because she knew we liked a certain waiter and let our party of 3 be seated by ourselves at an 8 person table to have them. It was a very busy evening too so we thought that was very nice of her.

We have Aurea and did not tip the massage person nor did they even ask us at the desk on the way out. We tipped our room stewardess extra at the beginning and she has been great. We will be giving extra to the waiter and assistant we had all week in MDR because they too were great. We also plan to give Yuhlia the woman who seats you for Aurea in MDR extra because she knew we liked a certain waiter and let our party of 3 be seated by ourselves at an 8 person table to have them. It was a very busy evening too so we thought that was very nice of her.

Since you have Aurea can you answer a question or two for me: is the Aurea section of the MDR open for breakfast and lunch as well as dinner? Secondly, did you visit the Aurea private sundeck and if so, was it a nice atmosphere (read: adults and well-behaved children only?). Thank you!

The Aurea section is only for dinner. Breakfast and lunch are the usual open seating. Breakfast was ok the one time we went. Lunch was not. They were disorganized, forgot to put our food orders in we think (us and a table next to us) as people seated well after us had their main courses. My boyfriend went to the maitre’d as our waiters never came back after serving a starter to us. We waited close to an hour and finally got someone. They then took it from someone else and served us we think. It was not pleasant.

Also the sundeck is nice and we enjoyed it. There are children there but they were behaved and our 14 year old son came with us too. He behaved as well.

Thanks, both for this and the previous posting re: Aurea dining stuff. I like to have a sit-down breakfast meal if possible. Lunchtime buffet should be "interesting." ;p

The Aurea section is only for dinner. Breakfast and lunch are the usual open seating. Breakfast was ok the one time we went. Lunch was not. They were disorganized' date=' forgot to put our food orders in we think (us and a table next to us) as people seated well after us had their main courses. My boyfriend went to the maitre’d as our waiters never came back after serving a starter to us. We waited close to an hour and finally got someone. They then took it from someone else and served us we think. It was not pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote']

Sorry, I meant to ask before: when you say breakfast and lunch are open seating, does that mean you CAN have lunch in the MDR? My understanding is that the Seashore restaurant was open for breakfast and dinner only, and that the only choice for lunch was the buffet. Is that not the case? Also, if you don't mind, any idea on charges for room service food? I know delivery is free apart from late at night, but are they charging for the food?

Sorry, I meant to ask before: when you say breakfast and lunch are open seating, does that mean you CAN have lunch in the MDR? My understanding is that the Seashore restaurant was open for breakfast and dinner only, and that the only choice for lunch was the buffet. Is that not the case?

Same on all MSC ships and nothing changed in the last ten years. You can have your lunch in the MDR from the menu, the difference is that you will not be at the same table every day like with dinners. Process is the same as for breakfast, the waiter will guide you to the next free table as they want to have the guests in one area and not all around the MDR. If you want to have a table for two you will usually get it, but depending on the mood of the waiter :cool:

We always have dinner in the MDR, for lunch we check the lunch menu of the MDR and make a decision daily.

Sorry, I meant to ask before: when you say breakfast and lunch are open seating, does that mean you CAN have lunch in the MDR? My understanding is that the Seashore restaurant was open for breakfast and dinner only, and that the only choice for lunch was the buffet. Is that not the case? Also, if you don't mind, any idea on charges for room service food? I know delivery is free apart from late at night, but are they charging for the food?

Yes you can eat lunch in Seashore. We only did once given it wasn’t the best experience. Not sure on the room service. We tried one night and actually never got any because we could never get through to order and gave up.