internet service on Getaway

Mr G RAY

Sailing on the Getaway feb 25. My mother in law is in the hospital and we would like to be able to stay in touch with home. Usually we look forward to disconnecting during a cruise but this time is different. I see on the website it cost $200. My question is how fast and reliable is the internet ? So if anyone has sailed on the Getaway lately, how was it?

Sailing on the Getaway feb 25 ... on the website it cost $200 ...
Have not seen/read any field reports live from the Getaway lately about slow or poor satellite internet on the GA, it is one of 2 NCL ships with the "newer" & promised "faster/better" broadband, FWIW.

One of our nieces' family & friends sailed her twice and going again shortly and had no complaints last year (when it might've been slower) - and able to do Facetime, Skype, FB Messenger & WeChat, etc. - with their unlimited plan, that they upgraded $$ to using OBC.

Q is: how and what do you need in stay in touch with home. Depending on your home carrier's int'l & cruise ship plan (if any) - texting is inexpensive, almost free to free - and, if it's likely just a few "let's check-in for well-being & hello calls" - paying for maritime calls at $5 a minute directly dialed from the stateroom might be easier. Unless you are glued to the ship's WiFi at all times, you still need a plan B when in ports & away from the pier or nearest hotspot.

When our own frail elderly parents were being "covered" by siblings & others while we take our vacations - we make sure to have contingencies in place and setup different/overlapping means of staying in touch ... T-Mobile, Project Fi by Google (WiFi calling) for global travel <T-Mo, Sprint & US Cellular, good in 130+ countries> and a third oversea voice calling & texting plan <roam globally> and a single Google Voice # that dial/call forward to multiple #'s & screen calls or divert direct to VoiceMail.

You might be able to manage with a smaller plan ... like a 1 GB/250 minutes plan, which was priced at $125 on the Breakaway - if you don't need to do a lot of emails or other social media surfing or uploads. Ask for any applicable Latitude discounts onboard by speaking to the iCafe manager on duty. If you run out of time/MB before the cruise end, you can always buy more time/MB based on usage & what you'll likely need - use some of that money for a few quick 1 or 2 minutes voice call ... could be easier & simple.

P.S. Have an external USB battery/power pack - roaming tend to drain the smartphone battery faster & many won't last all day.

I have been on the Getaway and the Internet is serviceable. Not the fastest you will ever get but fine for e-mail, text, web surfing, etc. It is a bit slow to steam videos, but should work fine to stay in touch.

The $200 package is for unlimited use, you can connect when you board and be on the whole trip. There are other by the minute packages available. 250 minutes is $125 plus a set up fee, and there are others too.

If you don't need to be on 24/7 one of the other packages would probably be better for you. I have used them in the past and have plenty of time for e-mail. messages, etc.

I have been on the Getaway and the Internet is serviceable. Not the fastest you will ever get but fine for e-mail, text, web surfing, etc. It is a bit slow to steam videos, but should work fine to stay in touch.

The $200 package is for unlimited use, you can connect when you board and be on the whole trip. There are other by the minute packages available. 250 minutes is $125 plus a set up fee, and there are others too.

If you don't need to be on 24/7 one of the other packages would probably be better for you. I have used them in the past and have plenty of time for e-mail. messages, etc.

But the Getaway has the three tier service. So this answe is incorrect.