Best way to get from Mt. Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge to Seward, AK

Jimbo

You've gotten some great advice, and I hesitate to say anything as I am not an AK expert as we've only done the trip once ~~~ but from my experience, I think you have the right idea to drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage, drop the car in Anchorage and take the AKRR from Anchorage to Seward. If you take the AKRR back to Anchorage then you can get the Princess transport to Whittier.

Have a fabulous trip!!

Just picked a date, I wonder if people have done this or not and made the retrun train back the same day as you took the

6 Hour Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise

Say the excursion is from 11:30am to 5:30pm

Think it might be cutting it to close.......how far is the boat slip from the Railroad station?

Dates

May 4 - September 23, 2018

Departing: 11:30am

Returning: 5:30pm

DEPART

COASTAL CLASSIC >> Anchorage to Seward

DEPART: Saturday, May 12, 2018-6:45 AM

ARRIVE: Saturday, May 12, 2018-11:05 AM

RETURN

COASTAL CLASSIC >> Seward to Anchorage

DEPART: Saturday, May 26, 2018-6:00 PM

ARRIVE: Saturday, May 26, 2018-10:15 PM

Just picked a date, I wonder if people have done this or not and made the retrun train back the same day as you took the

6 Hour Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise

Say the excursion is from 11:30am to 5:30pm

Think it might be cutting it to close.......how far is the boat slip from the Railroad station?

Dates

May 4 - September 23, 2018

Departing: 11:30am

Returning: 5:30pm

DEPART

COASTAL CLASSIC >> Anchorage to Seward

DEPART: Saturday, May 12, 2018-6:45 AM

ARRIVE: Saturday, May 12, 2018-11:05 AM

RETURN

COASTAL CLASSIC >> Seward to Anchorage

DEPART: Saturday, May 26, 2018-6:00 PM

ARRIVE: Saturday, May 26, 2018-10:15 PM

I am not sure I understand the question here -- are you asking if you can take a full day Kenai Fjords excursion out of Seward which ends at 5:30 PM and then take the Alaska Railroad to Whittier the same day for an evening embarkation?

I am not sure I understand the question here -- are you asking if you can take a full day Kenai Fjords excursion out of Seward which ends at 5:30 PM and then take the Alaska Railroad to Whittier the same day for an evening embarkation?

Basically asking that yes, but also asking if we get a hotel room in Anchorage for 2 nights, Thursday and Friday Nights.........can we take the train from Anchorage to Seward Friday morning at 6:45am, be there by 11am for the 11:30am 6 Hour Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise and when that excursion gets done by 5:30pm, then make the train back to to Anchorage at 6pm? This way we will need no overnight stay in Seward, or have to load our luggage on the train since we can keep it back at the hotel room.

Then we stay overnight our last (Friday)night in Anchorage on Friday night, next day Saturday take a transfer to Whittier for our cruise on Royal Princess.

Is that doable are we cutting things to close.

Jimbo

Basically asking that yes, but also asking if we get a hotel room in Anchorage for 2 nights, Thursday and Friday Nights.........can we take the train from Anchorage to Seward Friday morning at 6:45am, be there by 11am for the 11:30am 6 Hour Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise and when that excursion gets done by 5:30pm, then make the train back to to Anchorage at 6pm? This way we will need no overnight stay in Seward, or have to load our luggage on the train since we can keep it back at the hotel room.

Then we stay overnight our last (Friday)night in Anchorage on Friday night, next day Saturday take a transfer to Whittier for our cruise on Royal Princess.

Is that doable are we cutting things to close.

Jimbo

It is doable. They are very aware of the train schedule. They will have a van at the train station to pick you up and one to take you from the dock back to the train. On our boat trip, they asked for people taking the train to let them know so they could make sure to have enough transport ready.

It is a long day.

BTW, you can get a package for the day trip including the train and the boat.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/day-trips/kenai-fjords-national-park-cruise