Can you get back off Carnival shop on 1st day?

hartskys

We have never cruised out of San Juan - we are thinking about flying in the day of the cruise. Ship doesn't sail until 10pm. Can we drop off our luggage at the ship and go back off to visit and grab some wine in Old San Juan before we sail? Which dock does Carnival dock at?

We have never cruised out of San Juan - we are thinking about flying in the day of the cruise. Ship doesn't sail until 10pm. Can we drop off our luggage at the ship and go back off to visit and grab some wine in Old San Juan before we sail? Which dock does Carnival dock at?

Yes...easy no problem. You'll be docked at the Old Town Pier right across from Old Town and the Sheraton. There is a Walgreens and a CVS where you can purchase wine etc....easy to spot from the pier as you get off.

Won't they be sailing out of PanAm pier? We did when we left from San Juan. The ships that come in for the day port at OSJ. Just trying to clarify for the OP.

I thought Carnival sailed out (embarks) of the Old Town Pier. Perhaps I'm wrong since I don't sail Carnival.

Carnival ports in Old San Juan:

Per the website:

Port of San Juan

Calle Marina

Paseo Gilberto Concepcion de Gracia

Pier #4

Old SanJuan, PR 00901

We will be arriving early Sunday afternoon in a few weeks and this is exactly what we plan to do. I am about to start a thread looking for ideas of places to go or grab a drink etc. If you haven't walked the forts, the wall and around old town, there is plenty to keep you occupied until the sun goes down. The Trolley will take you up the hill to the San Cristobal Fort and the you just walk east to make the loop around.

Yep - we checked in, ate, went to our room and then left the ship to do some minor sightseeing. Keep in mind that both forts close at 6pm

We stayed in OSJ for a few days post cruise so we weren't really in a rush to see too much

Carnival ports in Old San Juan:

Per the website:

Port of San Juan

Calle Marina

Paseo Gilberto Concepcion de Gracia

Pier #4

Old SanJuan, PR 00901

We will be arriving early Sunday afternoon in a few weeks and this is exactly what we plan to do. I am about to start a thread looking for ideas of places to go or grab a drink etc. If you haven't walked the forts, the wall and around old town, there is plenty to keep you occupied until the sun goes down. The Trolley will take you up the hill to the San Cristobal Fort and the you just walk east to make the loop around.

Thanks for confirming what I thought was indeed correct ;);)

But here's a question for a Carnival "expert". Will they let him/her back on with the wine? Generally if you bring on in port they keep it for the duration of the cruise. How do they know you didn't already bring some on when you first boarded - I'm thinking the wine (and soda 12 packs as well) would need to be taken on when boarding.

But here's a question for a Carnival "expert". Will they let him/her back on with the wine? Generally if you bring on in port they keep it for the duration of the cruise. How do they know you didn't already bring some on when you first boarded - I'm thinking the wine (and soda 12 packs as well) would need to be taken on when boarding.

They are processing thousands of new passengers along a long period of time (embarkation goes from about noon to 8pm) so, people have had success bringing aboard more than the allotted amount of wine by getting off, purchasing the wine, then getting back on the ship multiple times, spacing out their trips. This was prior to the "alcohol police" desk was moved from the ship's deck (when Conquest-class ships were home porting in SJ) to just outside the security scanning area (since you board straight onto the atrium area on the Fascination and there's no deck space for them). So, YMMV.