What to do with luggage in Seward?

MsMarley

We will be taking the AK railroad from Anchorage to Seward the morning of our cruise. According to the schedules we should arrive in Seward around 11am but we don’t leave port until 8pm. I know we need to get to the ship at least a couple hours before that but we would also like to spend sometime exploring Seward.

What do you do with all of your luggage after you get off the train?

Can we check our luggage in at the port and then go explore?

Can we go through the whole boarding process for the ship, drop what we want in the cabin and then go back into land to explore?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, you could go to the port and check in your luggage. I would just go through the process and then leave the ship.

Keep in mind your lifeboat drill will likely be around 5:00 PM but you can double check that on the cruise line board.

Keith

I just booked the train to Whittier for our July cruise,and was told our luggage goes by truck and gets handed straight to the cruise line porters. We won’t see the luggage till it’s at our cabin.

Did you book through the cruise or did you book through AK railroad yourself? We will be booking through AK railroad and not the cruise line.

through the Railroad. As far as I know the only transfer cruise line offers is coach. This is our first Alaska cruise. Leave Anchorage at 9 o’clock get into Whittier around 12. We will stay on the train to take an excursion and the same train makes a return trip back to Whittier at 6pm on the way back to Anchorage. We don’t have to worry about luggage cause we were told put ship luggage tags on when we board the train. Again this is all through alaskan train website.

We will be taking the AK railroad from Anchorage to Seward the morning of our cruise. According to the schedules we should arrive in Seward around 11am but we don’t leave port until 8pm. I know we need to get to the ship at least a couple hours before that but we would also like to spend sometime exploring Seward.

Can we go through the whole boarding process for the ship, drop what we want in the cabin and then go back into land to explore?

Sounds like you booked direct with the AK Railroad? If so, check with them when you check-in, they may be able to tag your luggage and take it straight to the ship. In 2013, when we did this (we went to Seward a day early), they were able to tag our luggage and take it direct to our hotel while we went on a Major Marine Kenai Fjords tour. It was great not having to worry about storage or lugging it with us after the tour - especially since my youngest was on crutches with a broken foot at the time.

We cruised in June of 2016 on NCL from Seward. We were able to check our bags at the train station in Anchorage and they were delivered to our stateroom.

We went to the Sealife Center and had lunch at the Seward Brewing Company.

Last summer we drove down from our home in Fairbanks to Seward to spend a few days before doing a B2B pair (Seward to Vancouver and then back to Seward). We checked out of our hotel at 11 AM, drove over to the Seward cruise terminal where the longshoremen were taking luggage at the luggage tent. A number of folks were also dropping off their luggage. We then drove over to a long-term parking lot, parked the vehicle and walked back to the cruise terminal. Others were then dropping off their rental cars before either taking Seward's shuttle back downtown or just boarding the ship.