Highlights of the med excursions

Lanky75

Hi. We're first time cruisers with kids aged 11 and 6. We're booked on the TUI Highlights of the Med in May. We don't want to do any tours as such as the kids will get bored but we want to go and see places so just wanted some advice on how best to travel to each destination. My instinct is to travel ourselves but would like to know the cheapest and easiest way to do this. This is our itinerary and initial thinking:

Corsica - just hang around near port

Civitavecchia - take the TUI transport to Rome as its too risky to travel so far independent - cost would be £130.

Livorno - take train to Pisa then on to Florence - is this achievable ? we definitely want to have a few hours in Florence - not as bothered about Pisa

St Raphael - take train to Monte Carlo

Barcelona - make our own way to Nou Camp etc

would really appreciate any advice

Lanky75:

Welcome to Cruise Critic. It will take a few months to learn the entire site.

While you will get some answers here there is an entire section of cruise critic devoted to the ports of call around the world.

This link will take you to the Europe Ports of Call Board and from there you will see all of the areas of the Mediterranean where you could post your questions about these ports on the respective Mediterranean boards.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=495

Keith

Suggest you get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. He will tell you what there is to do in each port (except Corsica) and how to do it yourself. It is a lot less expensive to take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome. As two seniors, we did it without any problems. EM

I second both suggestions already made.

Per keith1010, the ports of call boards is where you will find the most accurate and updated information on the ports. Oftentimes people who answer queries made in this and other forums on Cruise Critic, while meaning well, provide advice that was accurate several years ago but may not be accurate now.

Lanky75:

Welcome to Cruise Critic. It will take a few months to learn the entire site.

While you will get some answers here there is an entire section of cruise critic devoted to the ports of call around the world.

This link will take you to the Europe Ports of Call Board and from there you will see all of the areas of the Mediterranean where you could post your questions about these ports on the respective Mediterranean boards.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=495

Keith

Really appreciate your help Keith but that link took me to Florida page. I'm struggling to find where you mean ?

Livorno - take train to Pisa then on to Florence - is this achievable ? we definitely want to have a few hours in Florence - not as bothered about Pisa

I was looking at a similar itinerary and thought of going to Lucca instead of Florence. It's closer and very interesting, less crowded than Florence. Check out photos of Lucca.

Hi. We're first time cruisers with kids aged 11 and 6. We're booked on the TUI Highlights of the Med in May. We don't want to do any tours as such as the kids will get bored but we want to go and see places so just wanted some advice on how best to travel to each destination. My instinct is to travel ourselves but would like to know the cheapest and easiest way to do this. This is our itinerary and initial thinking:

Corsica - just hang around near port

Civitavecchia - take the TUI transport to Rome as its too risky to travel so far independent - cost would be £130.

St Raphael - take train to Monte Carlo

Barcelona - make our own way to Nou Camp etc

would really appreciate any advice

Hi,

We're doing Mediterranean Beaches with RCI in August and have a couple of the same ports.

For Barcelona we're using Barcelona Day Tours who get rave reviews on here for a half day tour at 59 per person. Maximum of `2 people, minimum of 4. They're dropping us at the Camp Nou afterwards as this is on the children's "must do" list. then we'll make our own way back to the ship - taxi / Uber.

We're struggling too for Ajacco - I'm not sure the children will be over enthused as most of the tourist attractions seem to be themed around Napolean - not a period in history which excites them (or me) very much. So we were of the same mind as you - port / town / find a beach / or even try to do some of the more popular activities on the ship which might be overcrowded on sea days.

Interested to see what everyone else suggests as none of our plans are fixed in stone :-)