Walking the Royal Princess

NoWhiners

Hi all

We are taking our first cruise on the Royal. I know the promenade deck doesn't wrap around, but I am wondering if you can walk "around" by cutting thru on the fore and aft. Looking at the deck plan, it seems like there is a narrow piece of deck outside to go around, or you can cut thru some doors by the Vista lounge to get to the other side of the ship. But, it doesn't look like there are doors very far forward--all I can find are some by Crooners and Facets.

Anyone know if there are doors more forward of Crooners? Is there really a narrow piece of deck aft? Or do we just have to cut across in front of Vista?

Is the next best option to walk up on the Sun deck? I think we would prefer to walk where it is covered, in case it's too hot or raining.

Would a 3rd option be to walk inside on the promenade deck? I tlooks like we could do this from the Princess Theater to the Vista Lounge, but a couple of places squezze down into one passageway.

I suppose we could just walk around the deck with our cabin (Emerald) but that seems a little boring. Any thoughts? What do all of you do to get some walking in (besides treadmills in the gym. We wil do that too.) We will be on a TA to Southampton (from FLL) for the first part of our cruise and I think walking would be great way to keep us ready for walking tours on the second part of our cruise.

Thanks in advance,

ML

Sailed the Royal twice. Usually walk 4-6 miles a day. The track on deck 18 is small. Takes 7 laps to make a mile. I got so frustrated with groups of people walking 3-4 across so they can chat. Completely blocked the lanes. Then the people trying to walk the wrong way.....:confused:

One lane is suppose to be for runners how ever a lot of people don't notice, even with the signs and markings.

It can be extremely windy. I need to wear a visor and had to hold on to it.

Finally resorted to walking the passenger hallways using the stairs forward and stern.

Probably my only complaint about the Royal.

Sailed the Royal twice. Usually walk 4-6 miles a day. The track on deck 18 is small. Takes 7 laps to make a mile. I got so frustrated with groups of people walking 3-4 across so they can chat. Completely blocked the lanes. Then the people trying to walk the wrong way.....:confused:

One lane is suppose to be for runners how ever a lot of people don't notice, even with the signs and markings.

Finally resorted to walking the passenger hallways using the stairs forward and stern.

I agree with you 100%

Hi all

We are taking our first cruise on the Royal. I know the promenade deck doesn't wrap around, but I am wondering if you can walk "around" by cutting thru on the fore and aft. Looking at the deck plan, it seems like there is a narrow piece of deck outside to go around, or you can cut thru some doors by the Vista lounge to get to the other side of the ship. But, it doesn't look like there are doors very far forward--all I can find are some by Crooners and Facets.

Anyone know if there are doors more forward of Crooners? Is there really a narrow piece of deck aft? Or do we just have to cut across in front of Vista?

Is the next best option to walk up on the Sun deck? I think we would prefer to walk where it is covered, in case it's too hot or raining.

Would a 3rd option be to walk inside on the promenade deck? I tlooks like we could do this from the Princess Theater to the Vista Lounge, but a couple of places squezze down into one passageway.

I suppose we could just walk around the deck with our cabin (Emerald) but that seems a little boring. Any thoughts? What do all of you do to get some walking in (besides treadmills in the gym. We wil do that too.) We will be on a TA to Southampton (from FLL) for the first part of our cruise and I think walking would be great way to keep us ready for walking tours on the second part of our cruise.

Thanks in advance,

Go to the gym.

I have a friend who walked the hallways once when it was too wet outside. I guess they were watching on the cameras because she was approached by security after doing a couple decks, wanting to know what she was doing. Maybe they thought she was looking for open cabins to steal from or something but it sure put both of us off walking inside ever again, though I`m glad they keep an eye on things. I used to stride along thinking I was alone with my thoughts but obviously not! It was back to the open decks for us, rain or not!:)

I also managed to walk 7-8 miles a day on our Royal Princess cruise in December. I did a lot of it inside on the Promenade Deck early in the morning. I always took the stairs. I did not like the uncovered outdoor track. It also helped me add a lot of steps in that we had a cabin at the very front of the ship.

We walk hallways all the time on many ships. Mostly very early (like 4 am) because once people start getting out and the stewards get the carts out, it’s no good. But have NEVER had any problem or received even a second glance by anyone about it. Don’t like walking the 18th deck because of wind and crowds. Royal isn’t really a walk-friendly ship. I preferred just walking 17th deck. But on pretty sea days when EVERYONE is staked out in a deck chair, that’s an obstacle course too. Will be on Regal in March and I’m sure there’s an identical problem. [emoji37]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On deck 18 aft there is a nice track with a lane for walkers and one for joggers. Great views all around the ship as you do laps. The only downside is that it is not covered.

Ah yes, now I see that, thanks. Might be Ok if not cold, windy or wet :D

I have a friend who walked the hallways once when it was too wet outside. I guess they were watching on the cameras because she was approached by security after doing a couple decks, ... It was back to the open decks for us, rain or not!:)

Eek, this is exactly the kind of thing I worry about. Thanks for the heads up.

I also managed to walk 7-8 miles a day on our Royal Princess cruise in December. I did a lot of it inside on the Promenade Deck early in the morning. I always took the stairs. I did not like the uncovered outdoor track. It also helped me add a lot of steps in that we had a cabin at the very front of the ship.

geoherb

I am starting to think this may be our best option. This would also allow us to people-watch, which we love. Thanks for your help.

We walk hallways all the time on many ships. Mostly very early (like 4 am) because once people start getting out and the stewards get the carts out, it’s no good. But have NEVER had any problem or received even a second glance by anyone about it. Don’t like walking the 18th deck because of wind and crowds. Royal isn’t really a walk-friendly ship. I preferred just walking 17th deck. But on pretty sea days when EVERYONE is staked out in a deck chair, that’s an obstacle course too. Will be on Regal in March and I’m sure there’s an identical problem. [emoji37]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sums it up nicely! We will figure something out.

Thanks for your help.

ML

There is no connection across the stern. The Deck Plan isn't correct about this. Some of the white area is accessible on both sides, and actually is a nice area to sit, but but no connection.

Thanks for this. I was a bit suspicious but wanted to confirm. Maybe we can sit there for a rest as we walk ;p

This was one of several things we didn't like about the Regal--Royal is about the same, I guess.

We still like a full promenade to walk on. Yes, there is a walking/jogging track, but it's up high, often windy and busy. At least it wasn't 15 laps or so to the mile like the Emerald, which we were just on.

I have walked the halls quite a few times and never had anyone become suspicious! Now I will be wondering. I mostly do this when the weather is bad.

On some ships I have found it works quite well to walk up on the lido or one of the other higher decks late in the day, like 5 or so, when it is very empty. I just walk as far as possible on which ever deck has the longest mostly unobstructed path, sometimes climbing stairs to another deck as well.

I'm sure this would work well very early in the day too, but I don't do early!

To the original poster ..... I cannot comment on Royal Princess however I have cruised enough to know that there are ways around your issue.

I like to do six miles or thereabouts every day that I can when onboard. I like to do it outside because at that time of the day I get to see the wonderful South Pacific sunrise views and fresh air. I generally will be on deck at 4.30 am for about 90 minutes.

I recommend it as early is good ...certainly before the humidty kicks in.

However if there are days when the deck crew have closed Deck 7 due to tender operations or for safety or unfavourable weather. I have resorted to stomping the halls of the accommodation decks using the inner stairs to add a step workout to my activity. It just adds to variety. Believe me I have seen some interesting door art!! When I say stomping, I only walk, I have my MP3 player plugged in to my ears so I don't think I make anymore noise than anyone else walking past.

I have never been stopped by security or any other crew, but if you are, explain, invite them to join you and just go on.

Worst case scenario .... go the gym.

If you are committed to your daily fitness walk you will find a way ;p