Eclipse and speciality restaurants?

suamom

When sailing on the Eclipse last year we ate in both Murano and Tuscan Grill.

Murano was excellent and the food very good, especially the table side cooking for the lobster.

Whilst we didn't have a great experience in Tuscan, this does seem to be the exception to the rule and perhaps we just caught them on an off night.

Agree with Geoff and Louise that Murano’s is very special. We enjoy the menu, our only problem being what to choose...I must confess that I am frequently tempted to choose something flambéd simply to enjoy the theatre! You must not miss the ‘ballon rouge’ desert!

Tuscan, with its wake views is great for dining in when leaving a port. It is our traditional first night dining venue...It is a standard steakhouse also serving pasta. I must say we preferred the old pasta menu to the new but there is still plenty of choice. Our experience was of generally good, but not stunning, food (what we expected) and excellent service.

Q’sine we see as having a fun rather than fine dining menu...think of lots of tapas sized amusingly presented dishes from all over the world. First time we did Q’sine we ate too many filling things before we got around to some of the things we really wanted to try. Last visit we were more specific about the order of which we wanted our food delivering and that worked better...

Sushi we find a little odd...There are items to order if you don’t like sushi but not many. With a few changes they could make the menu far more appealing to non sushi fans but if you do like sushi then I am sure you will enjoy. The other issue with this venue is that it is not fully enclosed and can be quite noisy....We find it has less of a ‘special’ dining feel....You pay according to items ordered unlike in the other restaurants where there is a flat fee.

In terms of cost (before we had unlimited entry as part of our room package) we have received good discounts by booking a 3/4 night package pre cruise. Other guests report getting really good discounts on board. You will see speciality restaurant tables set up when you board, worth a chat with them. This can really vary from cruise to cruise...on our last Eclipse cruise Murano’s was almost fully booked. We had arranged our nights there first day of the cruise and had no issues but we were aware some guests by mid cruise were struggling to get a table...

Hope you have a wonderful cruise, we are back on Eclipse in September!

Yep, the main, the Murano, Qsine, Tuscan, and the, I hope it dies a quick death, Sushi on 5. We tried to like it. We ordered all over the menu to see if the chef did anything unusual. I started with chicken gyozo which are fried dim sum by any other name. Not bad at all, the spouse had a little tuna poke. Not worth it. He ordered an entire mixed sashimi plate and another chef's special Nigiri plate. Several types of tuna, one of salmon, a glazed piece of eel and a cooked shrimp, his Nigiri were basicially blah too. I headed to a bowl of rice udon noodles with seared shrimp that needed taste. Even miso would have been a flavor. I whisked in some Wasabi but it was blah. But hey, it was at least hot and it was still chilly outside. My husband has some nice Japanese Lagers and I had a terrific pinot grigio. For desert we tried the green tea tiramisu. It was, interesting. The cream was much heavier than we both thought it would be. The service was great. But 14 days of fish that needs to be fresh every day? Go back to the Bistro mix or turn it into a diner that changes dishes based on their current flotation area. Go nuts over conch soup and fritters, Cuban black bean soup with half a Cubano sandwich and yes, spicey stews while at Saint Vincent. Put the old appetizer Nigiri that was free and great back on the buffet where it helped absorb the pre-dress for dinner cocktail on the sunset bar. Please.

We have done both Murano and Tuscan Grille and enjoyed both of them very much.

The night we were at the Grille, the seas were acting up very badly and I had to leave and apparently I found out later that I was not the only one. When we rebooked two nights later, the seas were behaving and we had a great dinner accompanied by the incomparable view of a full moon out the back windows, it was breathtaking. And just to make it better, we weren't charged for the first night. It doesn't get much better than that. DH gave them a great tip.

Murano lived up to all the hype and then some. Never have we had a dinner like that one. It was, and will remain, a stellar cruise memory for us.

Thanks so much for all the opinions and suggestions. I think we will do all of them w the exception of the sushi. Neither of us love sushi so I have not problem taking it out of the mix.

When we sailed Celebrity awhile back, the goat cheese souffle was heaven. Hoping one of the restaurants will have it. It was served at a speciality back when we sailed.

Happy Sailing!

Thanks so much for all the opinions and suggestions. I think we will do all of them w the exception of the sushi. Neither of us love sushi so I have not problem taking it out of the mix.

When we sailed Celebrity awhile back, the goat cheese souffle was heaven. Hoping one of the restaurants will have it. It was served at a speciality back when we sailed.

Happy Sailing!

Goats cheese soufflé available in Murano’s....also a Grand Marnier soufflé and a chocolate soufflé are available for dessert....I am not generally a dessert lover but between the ballon rouge and the Grand Marnier soufflé I am very temped!

Edited by chemmo

When sailing on the Eclipse last year we ate in both Murano and Tuscan Grill.

Murano was excellent and the food very good, especially the table side cooking for the lobster.

Whilst we didn't have a great experience in Tuscan, this does seem to be the exception to the rule and perhaps we just caught them on an off night.

We agree that Murano is the star...and Qsine also quite good (for those that enjoy the format). As to Tuscan, after cruising on Celebrity for many years (we are Elite Plus) we are convinced that all Tuscan;s always have off nights. There is just something "off" about the menus, concept and service. Is it a steak house trying masquerade as an Italian restaurant or an Italian restaurant trying to pretend its a steakhouse. IMHO it fails in nearly every aspect. We recently tried the venue again (on the Reflection) and our service was pretty good and the food acceptable. We walked out thinking, it was OK...but despite having a package with 14 meals in alternative restaurants we never returned. Consider that Murano (which we think is one of the best dining venues at sea) is about the same cost.

Hank

Just a quick comment about the sushi, while its not on the buffet any longer, you CAN get a small dish to-go from Sushi on 5 to enjoy in your cabin or elsewhere and it’s a better product than the former buffet food.

And no, its not “free” bur neither was the buffet sushi,

it was just included in your cruise price. It wasn’t expensive as i recall, but i don’t remember for sure, maybe $7 or so ???

Its an option, if, like me, you enjoy a sushi appetizer on your balcony before dinner. Still available, just slightly more trouble and cost.

The one time we tried Tuscan Grill on Silhouette they must have been having another off night. We are sticking with Murano and Qsine next time around. We will miss Blu, but we can’t justify the high premium usually required for cruising in Aqua Class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums