Has anyone had problems getting money back on their credit card for overcharges?

Hi,

I feel so bad for my TA. She has been on the phone more times than she'd probably like to remember over the past month trying to recoup charges that should not have been included as part of my final payment amount. What happened is that we initially planned to book a pre-cruise hotel package through RCL, and then the conditions of the booking didn't suit us so we canceled and decided to just book it independently (but still through my TA). Somehow Royal wound up adding the hotel charges on to my balance owed. What's even weirder is that they credited back a part of the amount they owe me (some unusual figure that I wouldn't even be able to wager a guess at how it was arrived at), but the balance of the amount they still owe me has not even been listed as a pending transaction yet. It will soon be almost a month. Every time my agent calls them she winds up speaking to someone different and is always given a different reason why it hasn't posted to my account yet. Most recently she was told that they attempted to post the credit but it didn't go through (??) I don't recall ever running into this problem before. Doesn't inspire much confidence. Can't wait to fill out the post-cruise survey. A cruise I have booked for next year with a different line is looking more and more appealing!

What really annoys me the most about this whole ordeal is that Royal will not deal with me relative to any of the financial matters since the cruise was booked through a TA. I suppose that is consistent among all lines, but somehow it doesn't seem right. I mean, if it's a matter of proving my identity to them, I'd think that could easily be accomplished. When you think about it, the same could be said for their dealings with TAs. I'm sure it's all some sort of arcane security issue.

Edited by three4rd

Yes.

I was double charged for a voom/drink package, and was told the 2nd charge would be credited back within a few days. More than a month passed and we still had not received the credit on the card for the double charge. I tried to resolve it again with RCL on the phone, gave it a few more days to show up, and it did not. So I disputed it with credit card company. 2 weeks later I was credited by credit card for the dispute, and within a week or two RCL finally put the credit back on, so at that point I was over credited. It took more than 2 months for my double charge to get credited to me, but when I was credited back twice, they had that cleaned up within 24 hours.

Not really understanding your post. If the amount was charged incorrectly to your credit card you could dispute it with your credit card. Not sure who you are saying RC owes money to - you or your travel agent. Sorry, not very clear.

I thought I explained it well enough. It's not a charge that can be readily disputed because the (smaller) amount owed (to me - not the TA) is imbedded within a larger amount. The charges posted to my credit card by Royal are not itemized into 4-5 separate individual charges. Rather, RCL lumped them all together into 2 larger amounts that are rather confusing to figure out in that they don't directly match those that are on my confirmation booking statements. So...yeah...they owe ME the money, not the travel agency.

Yes.

I was double charged for a voom/drink package, and was told the 2nd charge would be credited back within a few days. More than a month passed and we still had not received the credit on the card for the double charge. I tried to resolve it again with RCL on the phone, gave it a few more days to show up, and it did not. So I disputed it with credit card company. 2 weeks later I was credited by credit card for the dispute, and within a week or two RCL finally put the credit back on, so at that point I was over credited. It took more than 2 months for my double charge to get credited to me, but when I was credited back twice, they had that cleaned up within 24 hours.

Not very encouraging to hear this. Sounds like I may well have to wait quite awhile yet. I'm not impressed with this sort of thing. Doesn't exactly make for stellar customer relations IMHO.

I had a small amount charged twice ($78). But it was the point. I disputed it with AMEX and notified my TA. I had the credit back from RCCL in a week.

My situation is with AMEX also. The rep I spoke to tonight at AMEX would gladly have initiated a dispute, but because the amount in question is not listed as a separate transaction, she said it's sort of difficult to pin it down. Plus, she said it's not advisable to dispute the entire larger amount (that contains the actual dollar amount they owe me).

Yes.

funny how that works, huh?

Bill

Heard from my TA that she called Royal again today and was told that the credit / refund posted yesterday. Just checked tonight and there is nothing there - not even pending. Unbelievable. I am quickly losing confidence and am seriously considering no longer sailing with this company.

Heard from my TA that she called Royal again today and was told that the credit / refund posted yesterday. Just checked tonight and there is nothing there - not even pending. Unbelievable. I am quickly losing confidence and am seriously considering no longer sailing with this company.

Typically credits don't show as pending and take a few days to post.