San Juan - First Time Visit & Sheraton Old San Juan

TLS2018

Hello! I'll be taking the Freedom of the Seas cruise out of San Juan. Could anyone offer suggestions if my planned 1-1/2 to 2 day stay before the cruise is adequate or if I should extend it a day? I'm a leisure traveler, nothing too adventurous or strenuous. I'd welcome your input and any suggestions on things to do.

Also, does anyone recommend Sheraton Old San Juan? Is it clean and safe??

Thanks!

My DH & I stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan for 5 days in March last year. We enjoyed the hotel as it was central to almost everything we wanted to do in the city. If you want to limit your exploration to Old San Juan, then 1-1/2 to 2 days should be fine. We needed the extra time to visit some friends, spend a full day in El Yunque and yet another afternoon/ evening going to the Bio Bay in Vieques.

We both liked the Sheraton, it isn’t the newest or fanciest hotel in San Juan, but it was clean and is in an ideal location to walk around the city; and everyone in the hotel was friendly and helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Sheraton has an ideal location just a couple of blocks from the center of th old city, and looking over the harbor. It was clean and safe. I would not recommend the hotel restaurant - not very good and quite expensive - there are many good options a few minutes walk away. When we were there, RC ships sailed from the other side of the harbor - I think only Carnival sailed from the pier just across the street - but we could not find a good hotel near our cruise terminal - and Sheraton's location is ideal for seeing the old city.

Thanks!!

My DH & I stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan for 5 days in March last year. We enjoyed the hotel as it was central to almost everything we wanted to do in the city. If you want to limit your exploration to Old San Juan' date=' then 1-1/2 to 2 days should be fine. We needed the extra time to visit some friends, spend a full day in El Yunque and yet another afternoon/ evening going to the Bio Bay in Vieques.

We both liked the Sheraton, it isn’t the newest or fanciest hotel in San Juan, but it was clean and is in an ideal location to walk around the city; and everyone in the hotel was friendly and helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote']

• 4 weeks later...
Personally, we love staying at the 17th century, El Convento near the harbor gate. It's like stepping back in time, but with all the amenities, including wine tasting every evening.:)

We haven't stayed at El Convento (yet) but agree that there is a certain charm to staying at the older places. We have stayed at Villa Herencia and Casablanca in Old San Juan, and loved both of them. The whole area of Old San Juan is walkable and very interesting. There are lots of authentic restaurants to visit, too. Just ask at your hotel.