Carnival World Mastercard

july2012

Hello fellow cruisers.

I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to get the carnival world mastercard...

I have a cruise balance to pay, and will be making some purchases on the cruise as well as at least one excursion.

I usually try to cruise every other year, but may not plan another cruise after this for maybe 4 years (sending son off to college this year).

I see they have a bonus of $100 and I was thinking I could pay my cruise balance with the card and all cruise purchases and other things....

My thought was to get it and see how much I can earn and use the rewards points to help off set my cruise balance.

My cruise balance is due 3/27/18 so not sure if its worth it for what I'm trying to do which is get as much rewards money to offset the cruise cost?

I could then of course use it and stack up rewards points to use for our next cruise....a College Graduation cruise 2022.

There are better cards out there for earning rewards that will give you plenty of flexibility on how you can redeem your points and the earning ratio per dollar spent of the Carnival card is pretty low compared to other cards. If it were me, I wouldn’t get the Carnival card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks for your reply.

I do have a great rewards card that I use often.

I was thinking of the carnival one just for the benefits when using it to pay for your cruise and the discount on excursions etc...

I would also use it on outside purchases to build up rewards to use for our next cruise.

I was thinking to use it to pay balance on 2 cabins in March..

Bonus 10k points now would result in $100

You may want to check rewards cards on creditcards dot com, there is one out there that will give you a 50,000 point bonus if you hit a certain threshold of purchases in 3 months, that 50,000 can be used towards travel purchases including cruises and is the equivalent of $625.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are better cards out there for earning rewards that will give you plenty of flexibility on how you can redeem your points and the earning ratio per dollar spent of the Carnival card is pretty low compared to other cards. If it were me, I wouldn’t get the Carnival card.

Same for me, I had the Carnival card, but my Amazon card gives my 5% back. Really no comparison.

We use the Carnival card for most everything, except Costco, right now. It has lots of benefits- if you only want to use the rewards for Carnival things. We cruised in 2015 and haven't since and are up to over 54k points. This will pay for both of our gratuities on board. Or we could pay off our next cruise.

That said, we are planning to get the Chase Sapphire in June/July because of the flexibility that card offers.

I use reward cards for absolutely everything. I use AmEX for Gas, Groceries for the 5% cash back. I use my Chase Amazon for 5% cash back @ Amazon. I use my Chase SW card for airline purchases. Discover for the extra 5% back when it applies to gas, groceries, restaurants, home improvement, etc..

I use my CWMC for pretty much everything else instead of using my debit card - in fact, I have maybe used my debit card once in the last year. I have NEVER paid interest or fees. I have redeemed just shy of 300,000 points in the last 2 years. I use it for the double points for anything carnival (unless Amex is offering $100 stmt credit w/ every $500 pymt) ... i like the no foreign transaction fees when i use it ... much like AmEx.

There are options to paying with points that are overall better ... IF you look at the cost and the options. For example, paying for gratuities w/ points is cheaper than paying for the gratuities outright.

The option to reward cards is knowing how/when to use them to get the most benefit. My DH can't comprehend all of that, so he just asks me "Which card do I use for this?" haha

Same for me, I had the Carnival card, but my Amazon card gives my 5% back. Really no comparison.

? My Chase Amazon card only gives us 5% back on Amazon ... not everything. It's 1% on everything else.

I know there are better credit card offers out there, but my wife and I like this card because we know we are saving to use our points on a cruise. We have never paid any interest on the card because we pay off each month, and purchase everything we can with the card. 3 years ago we cashed in 100,000 points. About 3 weeks ago, I cashed in 170,000 points, and basically got 2/3 of our cruise coming up in June paid for. So for us, the card is a good one.