Alaska: Carnival vs Holland America

dsotm73

We are planning an Alaskan cruise for May or June in 2019. Our analysis thus far has narrowed the decision to either the Carnival Legend or HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam. Celebrity and Princess are much more expensive, as is NCL because we do not drink and feel the other amenities don't warrant the price premium.

We are older cruisers (56/62). All of our cruises recently have been with Carnival, and we have the fourth sailing on the Dream scheduled for later this year. We love the balconies, the trivia games, the comedians, even the production shows, though at some point they would get repetitive, I'm sure. We also love the dining choices we've experienced on Carnival, and have never had a bad meal in the MDR, enjoy the steakhouse once per cruise, and eat lunch at Guys and Blue Iguana multiple times each cruise.

While we are open to trying something new, the cruise on the NA is $300 (~8%) higher than on the Legend, so we're looking to see what we would get for the extra costs. I have always heard that HAL was an upper-class cruise line, but the reviews here for the NA to Alaska last May and June are not very favorable. I know to take these with a grain of salt as people are more likely to write a review when they experience a problem than write a neutral or favorable review. However, the reviews from the Legend for the same period are much more favorable. I spend most of my time on CC in the Carnival boards, so I am well-versed on their shortcomings. The last couple weeks I have been lurking on the HAL boards and find similar complaints.

So I guess my question is this: How would you convince someone that HAL is a better value at a slightly higher price than Carnival, or vice versa? It would help if someone has specific ship experience on the Legend and/or the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska.

Both of these are round-trip 7-day cruises, Carnival sails out of Seattle while HAL sails out of Vancouver. Itineraries are also similar, but Carnival goes to Tracy Arm Fjord while the NA goes to Glacier Bay. Is there any advantage either way?

I've done both lines to Alaska. Spirit with Carnival and NA last September. IMHO HAL has much better service, better food, and a elegant ship. The NA feels a little bigger but it's the same superstructure. Interior layout is different but lido is similar.

Both will have an older crowd for Alaska but HAL is mostly 65+. I would pick HAL hands down and I'm in my 40's. The Crows Nest, Asian Restaurant & Bar, Italian Restaurant and better food & service is well worth $300. The Cabins, ship app & TV info are far better on HAL. I was really impressed with the NA app/TV info offerings. That doesn't makes a cruise but its a huge improvement for HAL.

I have been on 6 Alaska cruises, 2 on HAL, 2 on Carnival, and 2 on RCL. I can't address the two ships you're considering, but I can tell you that sailing out of Vancouver is superior to sailing out of Seattle. From Vancouver you sail through the inside passage between Vancouver Island and the Canadian mainland, a very scenic route with usually calm seas. From Seattle the ships go through the Strait of Juan de Fuca and out into the open ocean, where the seas tend to be rougher and there is no view. In addition, Glacier Bay is far superior to Tracey Arm Fjord. Hands down I would go for HAL out of Vancouver vs. Carnival out of Seattle. Nancy

I would also choose HAL because it goes to Glacier Bay. If seeing glaciers is a must, and I think it should be for your first Alaska cruise, you are much more likely to see those in glacier Bay than Tracy Arm. Ships almost never miss Glacier Bay, but last year very few saw Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier. Most were diverted down Endicott Arm to Dawes Glacier, but the views are not as god as Glacier Bay. Since i have visited Alaska twice, both times on Princess B2B cruises booked almost last minute as bargains, and seen Glacier Bay four times, I wouldn't hesitate to sail Alaska on Carnival or Celebrity another time. I have sailed on Nieuw Amsterdam, but don't need to sail her itinerary. EM

Absolutely agree with nwcruiselover and Essiesmom. Alaska is a very different cruise than the carribean or the med for example. It is all about the ITINERARY rather than ship or it’s amenities. HAL and Princess have been sailing to Alaska for many seasons now and have priority in certain areas like glacier bay. Also, the point of sailing out of Vancouver vs Seattle cannot be stressed enough if you are worried about sea sickness at all. Also be aware that with the relatively short season the excursions in Alaska are very expensive. It is a wonderful place to cruise, and a bucket list destination for many, but It is expensive and you should take everything into consideration before booking.

I cruise on both Carnival and HAL. I enjoy Carnival, but I always feel as if I am having a more upscale experience when I cruise on HAL.

We (early 60’s) cruised to Alaska last May on HAL Noordam. It was, as always, an excellent experience. The Nieuw Amsterdam has, like the Noordam did, a BB King’s Club which was fantastic—great band and vocalists performing Motown, R&B, soul, etc. And the performer in the Piano Bar was the single best performer I’ve encountered on any cruise ship. Plus, there was plenty of trivia to keep us entertained (but not as many games as you’ll find on Carnival.)

Two advantages that I see to the HAL cruise are: 1) beginning and ending in Vancouver and 2) sailing through Glacier Bay. I like Seattle, but I LOVED Vancouver. We spent 2.5 days there prior to our cruise and I’d recommend at least that much time there, if not more. And the day sailing through Glacier Bay was both relaxing and interesting. They bring NPS Park Rangers on board to narrate the entire time you are in GB and the rangers also do different presentations during the day. (Hint: On the day you are in GB, grab a table at breakfast in the area around the Lido Pool next to the windows—preferably portside. You can sit in comfort during the entire time you are in GB and hear the commentary. The pool area will be covered and you will have a seat, which we preferred to standing outside all day in the cold.)

Having said this, it sounds as if you really enjoy sailing on Carnival. If so, you would probably enjoy going to Alaska on the Legend.

HAL is my choice for almost all cruises. I love the crew and the service. The N.A. hadnthe Tamarand Restaurant which is not to be missed. The Vancouver sailing is also a major bonus..Glacier Bay is awesome. I did take an. Excursion off the Volendam to Tracy Arm which was really beautiful but Glacier Bay was beyond amazing. Vancouver is also awesome.

We did a multi generation family cruise and we chose HAL because it went to Glacier Bay. We are very happy with our decision. It was spectacular. Also, we had a Saturday departure which was more favorable than Carnival’s Tuesday departure.

As others have said, sailing out of Seattle means that you’ll spend time sailing on the west side of Vancouver island and missing the views that you get when you sail through the inside passage. Our sailing was out of Seattle and our first day at sea was out in rough waters with nothing to see but white caps.

As far as the ship goes, we sailed on the Westerdam and it provided a more elegant and sophisticated onboard experience. But with that said, Alaska is a destination that’s mostly about what’s outside rather than what’s going on inside the ship. When I think of that cruise, my memories are mostly about the ports of call and fantastic scenery, so I would place more emphasis on the actual itinerary than on the ship or cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

I have sailed on the Legend to Alaska (it was an 8 day itinerary) it was great. I have sailed with HAL twice (not to Alaska) and enjoyed both ships and would certainly recommend that cruise line if itinerary and price suited your needs.

One thing for sure, cruise to Alaska is more about Alaska than the ship.

You say HAL is about $300 than CCL, without knowing anything else if it were me, I would say if it is $300 more per person I would go for Carnival. If it were $300 more per couple for a similar cabin I would choose HAL.

you can't go wrong with an Alaskan cruise

have a great time

p.s. be sure to look at the Alaska, and west coast threads....there's lots of info there

You say HAL is about $300 than CCL, without knowing anything else if it were me, I would say if it is $300 more per person I would go for Carnival. If it were $300 more per couple for a similar cabin I would choose HAL.

$300 for the cabin. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums