Voom question.

hurls88

my wife and I are on Harmony for our 25th Anniversary and only need to get in contact with Daughter and dog sitter via iMessage or FaceTime. Does anyone know if my personal Hotspot will be enough? Any extra charges?

Thanks for any help

my wife and I are on Harmony for our 25th Anniversary and only need to get in contact with Daughter and dog sitter via iMessage or FaceTime.

iMessage will (but Facetime won't) work without any VOOM package. Harmony (and other ships with the Royal IQ app) have a "feature" whereby IMessage gets through free simply by connecting to the ship's WiFi.

I'm confused. If you put the phone in airplane mode and didn't pay for voom, how can you text from the middle of the ocean. Don't you need voom to connect to the ships wifi?

Thanks!

Normally, you would need VOOM for internet access. However, there is an anomoly in the firewall programming on Quantum class ships and Harmony that allows access to iMessage without purchasing VOOM. This could be fixed at any time.

I used the Royal IQ app on the Anthem. Although i didn't like it as much as using the Navigator app on DCL, I do like having some kind of app to use. Is there an app that works on Rhapsody?

Currently no app for Rhapsody. There is a new app Royal is implementing, but I believe it's only on 4 ships right now, see here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/royal-caribbean-international/id1260728016?mt=8

Currently no app for Rhapsody. There is a new app Royal is implementing, but I believe it's only on 4 ships right now, see here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/royal-caribbean-international/id1260728016?mt=8

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Was hoping I missed that it had been added to the Rhapsody. Can hope that the new app will be added before I sail. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Was hoping I missed that it had been added to the Rhapsody. Can hope that the new app will be added before I sail. :)

You're welcome, and I hope they add texting to the new app too.

You're welcome, and I hope they add texting to the new app too.

I do too! I love using the free texting feature on the Disney app and have gotten used to it. On the Anthem, it was nice that I could iMessage other family members even if they hadn't paid for the Voom. Once you get used to being able to do something, it is hard to revert back. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums