Saturday Mass before Easter

DaveOKC

We are disembarking on a cruise on Easter Sunday. Does anyone know if there will a Saturday evening Vigil Mass (that counts for an Easter Sunday service)? Saturday will be a sea day on this cruise.

On every past HAL cruise we've been on that ended on a Sunday, there was a mass the evening before. And yes this counted as a Sunday service.

Dan

On every past HAL cruise we've been on that ended on a Sunday, there was a mass the evening before. And yes this counted as a Sunday service.

Dan

But this being Easter Sunday I was wondering if this was still true?

I would expect so. The travelling priest will be getting off and a new one will be arriving. But if you are concerned that it may be an issue I would talk to your local priest and get their response. When I asked mine about attending mass while on a cruise line that doesn't offer any, he said you need to be willing to go.If nothing is available or accessible then it's out of your hands.

Others who post here will offer up their points too.

We are disembarking on a cruise on Easter Sunday. Does anyone know if there will a Saturday evening Vigil Mass (that counts for an Easter Sunday service)? Saturday will be a sea day on this cruise.

Yes & yes.

Reaching way, way back in my memory, I believe Holy Saturday is the only day of the year that actual Liturgy of the Eucharist (AKA Mass) is not celebrated. But this may have changed. Several years ago, I attended the Easter Vigil service when a friend was baptized, and there was no actual Mass, just the very long service.

Reaching way, way back in my memory, I believe Holy Saturday is the only day of the year that actual Liturgy of the Eucharist (AKA Mass) is not celebrated. But this may have changed. Several years ago, I attended the Easter Vigil service when a friend was baptized, and there was no actual Mass, just the very long service.

No, it is Good Friday that Mass is not offered ... but (in the old days) there was a 3-hour service running from Noon til 3 pm.

The Easter Vigil service is the first service of Easter - it makes no sense that there would not be a Eucharist. On Holy Saturday there is no Eucharist service but that ends at sunset.

No, it is Good Friday that Mass is not offered ... but (in the old days) there was a 3-hour service running from Noon til 3 pm.

To clarify my Post above, Mass is celebrated as part of the Easter Vigil (which is after sundown on Holy Saturday) service but not at all on Good Friday or during the day on Holy Saturday.

Your parish priest should be able to provide additional details if you need them.