Solo Studio GTY

TravelingUnguided

I've never sailed in Norwegian before and since I'm traveling solo, I wanted to try the studio cabin.

Now under the NCL account is says "Stateroom: Studio Stateroom GTY, Category T1"

I did not purposely pick that option... After reading on here, some people get upgrades? I'd rather just have the Studio. NCL website now shows the Studios are sold out for my cruise date. Is it possible I didn't get one?

As Deb said, I wanted access to the Studio Lounge and just to try it the Studio rooms. Sure, if I got upgraded to a Balcony, that would be great! But I doubt that happens and I wouldn't consider a standard interior room an "upgrade". I guess I'll give them a call and see what happens.

If you are talking about the Upgrade Advantage Program, being in a Studio does NOT qualify for the program.

The studios are great— I’m going on the breakaway tomorrow!!

It’s entirely possible that the studios are sold out because they’ve sold the rest as guarantees and haven’t assigned you yet. But the other alternative is also a possibility and I would not expect a balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Studio GTY sometimes happens on Euro cruises due to there being multiple embarkation ports. sometimes cabins get double booked. It happened to me twice on Epic. I don’t know why it happens to studios and not other cabins but it’s a frequent issue for the Euro Cruises.

The first time I got to keep the studio and the other person was upgraded to a balcony, at no extra cost. The second time I was upgraded to a balcony.

!

It’s entirely possible that the studios are sold out because they’ve sold the rest as guarantees and haven’t assigned you yet. But the other alternative is also a possibility and I would not expect a balcony.

If you are talking about the Upgrade Advantage Program, being in a Studio does NOT qualify for the program.

I think you're misreading me. I'm not expecting a balcony, don't want a balcony and wasn't trying to be in any program.

As Deb said, I wanted access to the Studio Lounge and just to try it the Studio rooms. Sure, if I got upgraded to a Balcony, that would be great! But I doubt that happens and I wouldn't consider a standard interior room an "upgrade". I guess I'll give them a call and see what happens.

If you are a solo traveler you can request access to the Studio Lounge (or could last time I sailed) even if you don't have a studio room. The only way an standard interior would be an upgrade is if it's on the same deck as the studio room.

I have sailed twice in the studios, Thanksgiving and Christmas 2017. All solo travelers on board the ship are invited to meet in the Studio Lounge at 5pm for cocktails and joining a group for dinner. On the trips I made, between 15 and 40 would go to dinner and a show as a group. A lot depends on the co-ordinator. The studio cabins I had were great, but if I could get another cabin for quite a bit less, I might consider it and just meet in the lounge at 5pm each evening.

Solos that are not booked in the studios are only supposed to use the lounge during the solo gathering time. The rest of the time, they shouldn't access the area because it is stocked only for studio guests at other times.

• 1 year later...

I also believe Studio GTY is given when people have cabins placed on courtesy holds. Sometimes you end up getting a GTY when you book because it is showing all cabins are "accounted for" but not necessarily booked and paid. I noticed this in a recent booking where Studios kept showing sold out or guarantee, and then the next morning (or after 4 AM anyway) a couple of rooms would show up again in the inventory.

I am betting that if those held cabins ended up getting booked and your GTY wasn't able to be assigned to a studio, THEN you would be assigned another cabin.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:57 AM, LeoEdre said:

I don't understand why you should prefer the Studio vs. a larger cabin for the same price. Studios are just smaller interior statorooms, or am I missing something?

Better beds in the studios!