MCO to Port Canaveral Tolls

bethhorn

I need some help... We don't have tolls where I live...

Traveling in a rental car from MCO to Port Canaveral.

Can someone walk me through how the tolls work? Are they marked? Do I stop at each one? How many are there? How much do they cost?

Feel free to talk to me like I'm a child -- I want to be well prepared!

There are around 4 tolls of $1 to $1.50 each. They are well marked.

If you have a rental car, you may find that it is equipped with a transponder. If so, you can just drive through the SunPass or E-PASS (name of the transponder service) lanes (far left) without stopping, Your rental company will charge you the tolls, plus a convenience fee.

If you would rather pay cash, stay to the far right and go though the cash lanes. There is at least one human attendant lane where you can stop and get change.

Edited by Host Clarea

On the stretch of the Beachline from MCO to Port Canaveral, there are two tolls. One is $1 and one is $1.25.

I'd pay in cash; just watch for the gigantic overhead signs that tell you when to head for the toll booths. Also, make sure any transponder from the rental car company is off.

extra detail ......

in a rental you have two options ..... use automatic electronic toll payment thru the rental company OR pay as you go.

electron payment allows you to fly thru the gates without stopping ... but what a rental company charges for this varies from a low of under $4 a day to "you don't want to know" per toll .... see https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Your option is to pay cash and in this case your BEST option IMO is to have a roll of quarters. There are attended lanes and exact change lanes. IF there is a back up, it WILL be at the attended lane (can you tell me how to get to ..... or do you have change for a $100)

To pay cash WATCH THE BIG SIGNS cuz if not paying attention the road to the 'pay lane' LOOKS LIKE an exit ....

enhance

NOTE ... straight thru is ELECTRON PAYMENT, turn off to right is cash pay .....

Once in the 'pay lanes' , attended will be right and EXACT <quarters> will be left

enhance

{unless as mentioned by a picker of nits .... the plaza is under construction/renovation}

Does anyone know if I can use an EZ-Pass transponder? I remember seeing something about FL being ready to accept them, but not sure if it ever went into effect.

Not yet -- you would need a FL Sun Pass. Eventually they will figure it out, but not anytime soon.

last note I saw said all the 'mechanics' were done and the systems read each other's transponders.

AND the Florida SUNPASS system could properly process EZ-PASS transactions.

HOWEVER EZ-PASS states were not yet able to handle SUNPASS properly ....

Seems every state is unique in their accounting systems so the big problem is passing the $ to the state that should get the $