Drink Package Carnival Vista

deriam2000

Wow. Thanks for all the insightful responses. It's nice to be able to get such great advice and experiences prior to the trip. Do you usually tip the servers if you're getting the Cheers program and buying beers? (Also, can you get bottles of beer on the cheers program? Or is it restricted to draft?)

Yes, I always tip at least $1 per drink in cash on Cheers. I find it helps the waiters 'remember' me and always check if I want more. I also have seen my pours get a little more generous as we go along.

As far as beers and the bucket discussion. Just order a bottle (or can) of beer, and ask for an empty bucket with ice. Then, (after a tip) ask the waiter to bring you another unopened beer for you on his next go-round. A few rounds later, you have your bucket of beer, which you can take back to your cabin with you.

One other beer-related item. A beer is a beer, as far as counting towards the 15 per day limit. So a can of Coors light counts the same as the Foster's oil-can size.

I wasn't telling anyone to order doubles, I was 'trying' to make the point that 15 drinks sounds like a lot, but might not cover all of your needs for the trip. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Oh and we asked for an extra shot a couple of times and were told no.

You can have an extra shot, after 5 minutes, and it counts against your total. You're better to order drinks with more than 1 shot of alcohol in it if you want to maximize the buzz (i.e. Long Island Iced Tea vs. Screwdriver)

Also, buy it in advance of the trip, for $51.25 per day. That lowers the 'break-even' point by 1 drink right there. And, it's not a matter of HAVING to break even every single day, it's all about an average over the entire cruise. Not having to think about the bill at the end contribute GREATLY to our enjoyment. I'm willing to potentially pay a little bit more for that peace of mind.

Leaving tomorrow, and can't WAIT to have my first drink in hand!

If you tip $1 a drink on top of what you were already charged are you really getting a good value? I don't think it would pan out for us as I'm not that big of a drinker. I'd feel terrible the whole cruise and gain 15 pounds.

It's purely up to you and what you want to do. For us, we stock away loose change all year and convert it to $1 bills for our trips. They 'mean' very little to us, it's just $1, but the crew works HARD, and really appreciate it. We get a very explicit thank-you every time.

As far as the 'tips already included' argument; yes, I've paid 15% on the $51.25 per day cost. So, that would account for 5-6 drinks for me. Don't they also deserve a tip on drinks #7-15? Also, those gratuities are spread amongst the entire bar crew, while I'm having actual face-to-face contact with a worker who is performing a service for me. I appreciate it, and choose to express that appreciation in the form of a $1 bill.

On some cruises, my DH has brought along a bunch of our weird $1 coins (Saki's he calls them) The crew REALLY loved getting those, they were quite a conversation starter.

A bit off topic, but because this is active. Do people try to reserve loungers / recliners early in the morning like they do at all inclusive resorts?

Also, what time do the bars open in the morning?

Do you typically have the same bartenders / servers working the same hours / bars for the duration of the cruise?

Thanks again, it looks like I’ll probably go with the cheers package.

The actual pool bars might not open until 8, but IIRC the bar at the back of the lido is open REALLY early. I know there is a bar open somewhere really early, because on our cruise last year, my son was able to get his last drink on Cheers on debarkation morning. He was up really early, and Cheers officially expires at 6am.

Squad goals...

Also keep in mind that when the Vista moves to Galveston cheers is not available until 2nd day because of the silly Texas liquor laws. To me, this is one of the drawbacks to cruising out of Galveston as that 1st day on board is often a heavy drinking day because it’s your first day on vacation. 🤪 you have to pay per drink on that first day regardless. Wish they could change this somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, there will generally be the same people at the same bar during the same time frame each day... You will also often find these crew members working at a different location afterwards...

Do you typically have the same bartenders / servers working the same hours / bars for the duration of the cruise?

Yes... The same staff is usually always at the bar(s) the whole week

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering, the Cheers program when departing from New York Ports, doesn't go in effect until 6am the next morning. You aren't charged for the first night. But are you charged for the last day when you arrive in Port?

Thanks,

I was wondering, the Cheers program when departing from New York Ports, doesn't go in effect until 6am the next morning. You aren't charged for the first night. But are you charged for the last day when you arrive in Port?

Thanks,

No....For example, if you are taking a Sat-Sat cruise out of NY....Cheers doesnt kick in until Sunday at 6 am. You are only charged for 6 days. So in theory your Cheers package ends at 6 am on the Sat of your debarkation

It really does come down to a numbers game. I'll also add if you are a big drinker (or can play one on vacation) the drink package might not be for you. Especially if you like to hang out anywhere close to the Lido bars, or bars close to it. The glasses are small and so was the alcohol amount. We felt the sports bar on our last trip on Splendor was the best pour. Maybe we just hit a weird week, but they mostly seemed to stick to one ounce, seldom one and a quarter per drink. Every drink they used a shot glass, so we could watch.

Also, most people don't realize that when you have a drink at home (or a bar near home that has a good pour), it is more than one ounce per drink. Usually closer to two ounces or more. My point being, if you have a couple of drinks at home that is four ounces. On the ship it might take you four drinks to get the same amount of alcohol. I know 15 drinks sounds like a lot, but it can be deceiving.

I totally agree with you on the one ounce shots. If you are a heavy drinker it may seem like you are getting screwed on your drinks. I personally do not have to worry about it because I do not drink a lot of liquor. In fact on a 7 day cruise I may have 3-4 of the pool side fruity drinks never a jack and coke, or a vodka and OJ ect. I :hearteyes:BEER and if you get a bottle of beer they cannot extract the alcohol so I am good in that dept. However, my DW is in that dept. and she will tell you the drinks are weak:(. With that said, her drinks are only weak or weakish the first night, we tip extra. In fact when we tip starting the first night, her drinks become stronger and stronger as the week goes on, because as stated before you will pretty much have the same bar keeps for bar/lounge of your choice for the entire week, and they will get to know you.