In room tv changes

pfleer

The Carnival Brand Ambassador has a video up today saying the reason network programming has now been discontinued fleet wide is due to operational issues and is not a cut back.

We are big fans of Carnival and push the brand all the time. TV is downplayed by most because after all you are on a cruise and you shouldn't be watching TV. Well we enjoy watching TV during our downtime and any other vacation we go on we watch TV on downtime, why should a cruise be different.

We cruised a few weeks ago and the first thing we noticed was the channels, other then the CNN package, had commercials in Spanish but the shows were in English. Our guess the package was cheaper for the cruise industry. Also, currently CNN pays airports to be the exclusive news network aired and my guess (and only a guess) CNN is expanding their reach to include the cruise industry. Once again a guess on my part, I believe the "operational Issues" are designed around revenue enhancement. Also, I don't understand their need to go to one "free" movie channel from the two (regular and family channels) they had in the past. On our cruise it appeared that cartoon type movies played most of the times we checked even late at night, they should bring back family channel and play these movies on that channel.

These changes will not keep me from cruising but my total cruise satisfaction will be reduced.

Guessing again, the next improved service is paying for TV channels you want to watch.

Hmmmm. Can sports bar still get network TV? or only ESPN? NCAA March Madness college basketball coming up soon.... on CBS... Not that I would spend hours watching... but fun to watch the last few minutes of big games! Anyone heard about this?

PS: anyone remember 10 or so years ago... Carnival showed the local Denver stations instead of Miami? haha Something to do with reception?

Hmmmm. Can sports bar still get network TV? or only ESPN? NCAA March Madness college basketball coming up soon.... on CBS... Not that I would spend hours watching... but fun to watch the last few minutes of big games! Anyone heard about this?

PS: anyone remember 10 or so years ago... Carnival showed the local Denver stations instead of Miami? haha Something to do with reception?

They can get anything Carnival wants to pay for. They showed NFL playoffs and the Superbowl. Don't know about the Olympics, but they could. Same with NCAA, but maybe not until the Suite 16 or something. Nag the cruise director, hotel director, etc on your cruise if not on the schedule.

We booked a family cruise nearly a year ago. I like to watch/listen to the news while getting around in the morning and like to catch up with it at the end of the day. One of brothers has been diagnosed with cancer since we booked. He has been given the go ahead and will take a break in chemo treatments for our cruise. He will need to rest a little more often and it would be nice if the same limited channel selection we were used to in the past was still available. My grandson will probably bring his Ipad but it would be easier if the tv could be used instead when it is time for him to have a little quiet time in the afternoon and at night.

Am I unhappy about this....yes. Will it ruin our vacation - no but it will make it less pleasant (especially for my brother). I will not apologize for my opinion.

We just got off the Elation....no Olympics. I do not go on cruises to watch TV but I like to watch sports at the bar and watch a movie before bed. The channels they had were very poor picture quality. Not a total deal breaker but what was the point of putting the nice new large TVs in the rooms when the quality of the programming and sound made it unbearable to watch.