Can you wonder on your own or do excursions? RCL says we have to do their tours!

vacationers

I just filled out the form for NCL this afternoon. Not a big deal. Check Support for Cuban people. The form wants your name, address, phone number, reservation number. They want you to print or download a copy for the future and then you hit the submit button. I made a print out of that also.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend's travel agent filled out the form for her and checked the last box that said something like I DO NOT PLAN TO DISEMBARK TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY OF THE ABOVE. She plans to disembark to walk around each stop in Cuba, so I think she and her agent are misinterpreting the affidavit. I think that she should check the SUPPORT OF THE CUBAN PEOPLE OPTION, and make a purchase on shore. What do you think?

My friend's travel agent filled out the form for her and checked the last box that said something like I DO NOT PLAN TO DISEMBARK TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY OF THE ABOVE. She plans to disembark to walk around each stop in Cuba, so I think she and her agent are misinterpreting the affidavit. I think that she should check the SUPPORT OF THE CUBAN PEOPLE OPTION, and make a purchase on shore. What do you think?

I think you answered your own question. If it is checked she doesn't plan to disembark, she is not going to disembark. Should be Support of the Cuban People option.

My husband and I are on this ship with you! I'm hoping Blexie has other spots, as it sounds like the best option!

-Gigi

We are leaving on the Majesty, May 9th.

No RCI excursions booked.

Have dinner arranged first night ashore, then onto some bars. Maybe a club.

Next day a tour booked vi Blexie from 10 am-4pm (May be a little earlier, ship sails at 4) 130Cu for a group of 4.

2 Brits and 2 US citizens.

If you check that you are not going to disembark, the cruiseline will not issue you a visa so you will not be able to get past customs.

Blexie has other guides . We had Isbel who was great.

We just booked with Havana Journeys...TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence. They responded to all emails within 12 hours...very responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the official line that RCI must give it's passengers and it is technically true. US citizens really can't go to Cuba without being of some "official" people to people tour and all RCI tours do comply. So what is the reality? You will be a given an affidavit you must sign at embarkation in Miami. It is a legal US document stating you are on a cruise line sponsored people to people tour. However, once the ship docks in Havana and disembarkation starts - no one from RCI checks nor does the Cuba officials care. It would be a complete nightmare if security had to check everyone disembarkation the ship. If you do get off the ship with out doing an official RCI "people to people tour" then you are violate of your signed affidavit. However, there is no way the US state department would even remotely check to see if you were in violated your signed affidavit unless maybe you committed some sort of crime and were detained in Cuba. Again, you can freely get on and off the ship in Cuba and you are not required to take any RCI sponsored tour. So why doesn't the cruise line tell you this...because they really can't tell you to violate your signed affidavit plus they would prefer you to booked one of their overpriced tours which does satisfy US law.

Excellent explanation! I sort of imagine all the paperwork the US demands going into sort of an Indiana Jones style warehouse, never to be seen again...

Actually the explanation is not accurate. Can do “support of Cuban people” and perfectly legal.

Wrong. Support for the Cuban People is just what people are getting away with. Not intended to be used the way people are currently doing it. But there is no enforcement so it doesn't matter. Enjoy your visit to Cuba.

Wrong. Support for the Cuban People is just what people are getting away with. Not intended to be used the way people are currently doing it. But there is no enforcement so it doesn't matter. Enjoy your visit to Cuba.

Wrong. Support for the Cuban People is legal for travel utilizing a private guide or even self guided travel as long as you ensure you are having meaningful contact with the Cuban people and not otherwise violating the regulations by visiting banned sites or engaging in business with the Cuban government.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wrong. Support for the Cuban People is legal for travel utilizing a private guide or even self guided travel as long as you ensure you are having meaningful contact with the Cuban people and not otherwise violating the regulations by visiting banned sites or engaging in business with the Cuban government.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m ok wit the Support of Cuban people right up until I purchase a hundred Cigars. from a government store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
We are leaving on the Majesty, May 9th.

No RCI excursions booked.

Have dinner arranged first night ashore, then onto some bars. Maybe a club.

Next day a tour booked vi Blexie from 10 am-4pm (May be a little earlier, ship sails at 4) 130Cu for a group of 4.

2 Brits and 2 US citizens.

We've booked with them as well, and they actually adjusted our time to 9 am to 3 pm so we could get our entire tour in vs. ending early! Same day as you, this week.