You Better Tip at Port Everglades - Or Else!

Squire5000

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Then you have never cruised out of Pier 91 in Seattle on Sat, Sun, Mon or Tues because on those days the porter that originally takes your bags goes around the side of the terminal building and enters the luggage hall and disappears from your view. You cannot follow him once he goes past the front of the building, although you could stand in the front of the building and watch him up to the point that he enters the building. That's the case on the east side of the building. You'll lose sight of him well before he enters the building on the west side as your view is blocked by parked equipment.

If you don't use a porter at Pier 91, you take your bags inside the building and go back into the luggage hall where you give your bags to a porter who puts them directly onto the belt into the scanner. They come out the back end of the scanner where you can watch another longshoreman take the bag off the belt and load them directly onto a cart.

Tom

I have sailed out of pier 91 most recently this last July.  Porters were along the loop drive area. Along those nice covered walk ways that they have next to the driveway and bus parking areas  They (porters in orange vests) collected the bags and put them on carts, also along the drive area. There were porters with two sets of 3 carts for each ship at the end of the drive right in front of the terminal as well. When a cart was full they (the porters with yellow vests) would wheel them in. The person that collected our bags (orange vest) put them on a cart and a different person (yellow vest) wheeled the cart in.   It was on a sunday.  There were two ships departing a Royal Caribbean and a Celebrity. 

The cart areas were labeled for each ship.  Celebrity on the right as you face the ships, Royal on the left. 

Since there were two ships and the process was a bit intermingled I made sure that the bags were placed on the correct cart for the correct ship.

From what I saw of the process you had porters as much as 100 feet away from the building.  A bit inefficient for them to take each set of bags all the way into the building.  Might be why they had carts that they filled.

Current Google ground view of the port also shows a day with a Royal and a Celebrity ship in port. Clearly showing all of the carts.

Edited by RDC1

14 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

I have sailed out of pier 91 this last July.  Porters were along the drive area.  They collected the bags and put them on carts, also along the drive area. There were porters with two sets of 3 carts for each ship at the end of the drive right in front of the terminal as well. When a cart was full they would wheel them in. The person that collected our bags put them on a cart and a different person wheeled the cart in.   It was on a sunday.  There were two ships departing a Royal Caribbean and a Celebrity. 

The cart areas were labeled for each ship.  Celebrity on the right as you face the ships, Royal on the left. 

Since there were two ships and the process was a bit intermingled I made sure that the bags were placed on the correct cart for the correct ship.

From what I saw of the process you had porters as much as 100 feet away from the building.  A bit inefficient for them to take each set of bags all the way into the building.  Might be why they had carts that they filled.

As I said, "Then you have never cruised out of Pier 91 in Seattle on Sat, Sun, Mon or Tues..." The 2 lines that you mentioned, Celebrity and Royal Carribbean , are there on Fridays, and they run their baggage program differently. You might have noticed that the 2 sets of porters had different colored vests on also. The Celebrity porters all wear orange vests, as do Holland-America porters on Sat, Sun. & Mon. as both of those lines dock on the west side of the pier. The Royal Caribbean porters all wear green vests as do the Princess porters on Sat. & Sun as both of those lines dock on the east side of the pier. That's a visual aid in helping to identify which porter group is which.

The porters for Princess and Holland collect bags from cruisers on their lines until they have filled their carts before they take their carts back to the luggage hall. Why the difference in the way they do it, I have no idea, but suspect that it's due to the way the cruise lines involved want it.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers