You Better Tip at Port Everglades - Or Else!

Squire5000

On 2/24/2018 at 7:58 AM, MCC retired said:

Wow !

$10 for just 2 bags, $20 for 4 ?

Way too much !

Half of that would be more than sufficient for the short distance that they handle your luggage.

It is no wonder that they are fighting over your tips.

That's what we tip too ($5.00 a bag) and have never had a problem with our luggage anywhere and it always gets to our room in a very timely manner.....plus it makes them happy!!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

That's what we tip too ($5.00 a bag) and have never had a problem with our luggage anywhere and it always gets to our room in a very timely manner.....plus it makes them happy!!!

They put your bags on a cart then roll the cart 

to the ship where crew handles the bags the rest of the way to your cabin . Unless the long shore men roll the cart to the wrong ship , they pay little part in getting your bags to you . $5 a bag is way too much ! 🤔

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

$ 5 for 2 bags is the right amount for us for the 2 minutes it takes them to take it out of the back of the suv and 'throw' it onto a cart...

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

$ 5 for 2 bags is the right amount for us for the 2 minutes it takes them to take it out of the back of the suv and 'throw' it onto a cart...

We also give $5 per bag.  We spend thousands on a cruise why not make some body feel good. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:50 AM, L1211 said:

Literally told to "tip more if we wanted our bags onboard" at Port of Miami. Had tipped $20 for 4 bags. Took to bags and the $20 to another porter. Ridiculous but it happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dang... we were just at POM and I gave the guy $3 for 3 bags. He said "thank you, mam!" The bags were delivered safely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We also give $5 per bag.  We spend thousands on a cruise why not make some body feel good. 

would rather make Stewart, pool bartenders, Vines, Crooners 'happier' as we see/interact with them throughout the cruise - not a dash and go.

will stick with the $ 5 for 2 bags

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

would rather make Stewart, pool bartenders, Vines, Crooners 'happier' as we see/interact with them throughout the cruise - not a dash and go.

will stick with the $ 5 for 2 bags

Who is this guy Stewart ? He seems to be on many ships ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Of course you had no problem.  You paid the insurance fee to make sure they dont rip off your luggage tags.  They control your luggage so pay up or go without luggage. Its not a tip.  You pay for future service when most tips are paid based on past performance.  Like I said...its insurance, not a tip.  Your luggage could still get loss though.  The insurance is too make sure the porter does nothing to your luggage.  

11 hours ago, Optotronics said:

Actually, our luggage could carried by the cruise tag and won't tear off.

do your research and you can find the starting pay grade of the local ILA-1526 longshoreman; you too would see well they are well taken care of and would not risk tearing any labels or pulling stunts that could cost them their career.

Really....you dont know how unions work. The porter would have to seen peeing on your luggage in full site of 1000 people with video and even then he probably would not lose his job.  Obviously he smart enough not to do it everytime.  Do you think Cool Cruiser comments about all 5 luggages not having tags is a lie.  I had my tags removed and seen other luggages with tags removed and wonder how that could happen when I use a very strong tag reinforced.  

The trick is to find the right porter.  Someone happy...looks kind.  One does not have a grudge because his wife left him....

6 minutes ago, thedeadman said:

Of course you had no problem.  You paid the insurance fee to make sure they dont rip off your luggage tags.  They control your luggage so pay up or go without luggage. Its not a tip.  You pay for future service when most tips are paid based on past performance.  Like I said...its insurance, not a tip.  Your luggage could still get loss though.  The insurance is too make sure the porter does nothing to your luggage.  

That's not insurance any more than it's insurance when the Mafia or gangs do it to businesses, it's theft. That said, the vast majority of the longshoremen I've come across have been polite, friendly, and courteous. There have been exceptions though, that's for sure., but they have been the exceptions. If you do have a problem with one of the porters, get the name or snap a picture of the person then ask one of the other porters, not the one you had the problem with, to speak to the foreman and explain the problem to him. If he's worth his salt, and virtually all of them are, he'll take care of the problem. I know that from experience.  If you want to tip, tip, but don't let yourself be intimidated.

Tom

• Like 2

We witnessed this intimidating type of behavior at San Francisco port last year, boarding for our Hawaii cruise. A longshoreman was flinging F bombs at a passenger for carrying his own bags, telling him he couldn't do that. I thought the passenger was going to lay him out. This went on for at least five minutes. Not sure how how it was resolved as we entered the terminal.

I don't want to deal with our luggage, so we tip, $5 a bag. But attitude is everything. All the guys we have dealt with have been polite and accommodating. If I got some jerk like that longshoreman, I'd stand there and yell for the cops.

2 hours ago, MCC retired said:

$5 a bag is way too much ! 🤔

Says who???.....they hotels we stay in and where come from 5 dollars a bag is pretty standard....we are generous tippers and have no problem anywhere we go in the world.....pay what you want but do not tell others how to conduct their travel business.....Here's a TIP.....It is none of your business what others choose to tip.....!!!

2 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Says who???.....they hotels we stay in and where come from 5 dollars a bag is pretty standard....we are generous tippers and have no problem anywhere we go in the world.....pay what you want but do not tell others how to conduct their travel business.....Here's a TIP.....It is none of your business what others choose to tip.....!!!

Then why are you posting your “business” here on Cruise “Critic”? A bit testy you are !

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

In that case you should probably tip the guys hauling the  bags to your room just as much. They work even harder then the porters do lifting the bags & have to do the job again when you leave the ship. 

Plus they earn no where near at much as the porters. 

• Like 1

Everyone has missed the point I have been trying to make. It's not tipping anymore if the porter would screw with your luggage.  The fact you say I pay 5 dollars a bag to make sure it goes on board is not a tip but a additional insurance policy again porters who rip off your tags if you don't tip enough.  It's like here is some money please don't rip off my tags.  Your paying before service is performed and if you don't pay enough you get a penalty. Not a tip if porters act that way.  I cringe when I hear what's another 5 or 10 bucks to make sure your vacation is not spoiled.  Wow..sounds like extortion. ..not tip.  By the way I don't mindd paying extortion just so long as it's not a tip.  I won't tip anyone who remove luggage tags but I would pay extortion fee to prevent removal.  

Edited by thedeadman
Spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thedeadman said:

Usually do not tip, unless the porter has to do something above and beyond normal process.  Never had a problem on over 30 cruises.  The initial porter takes the bag and puts it on a cart.  A different porter moves the full carts into the terminal. The bags are then transferred by another worker and placed into a forklift suitable container. A forth worker, forklift driver, lifts that container into the ship where Princess personnel take over the bags.

So the person that you tip only has access to and controls your bag for about 15 seconds, at most. A part of the process that you can stand and watch to make sure that the bags are put on the cart with tags intact.  We also always put two tags on each bag inside plastic tag holders.  Never had a bag delayed, failed to be delivered, or even had 1 of the 2 tags missing.

On 2/24/2018 at 5:34 AM, Squire5000 said:

We boarded the Regal Princess on February 4th. We always tip the baggage porter $10 for 2 bags. We did the same this trip.

As we were walking towards the Princess terminal, I was a few feet ahead of my wife. All of a sudden, my wife starts calling out for me. I turn around and she is being verbally intimidated by a porter. I immediately go back and the guy starts berating me telling me "You have to tip". I tell this clown I did and he continues on telling me to identify who received the tip. I locate the guy and drag him over to talk to "The Intimidator" My guy tells "The Intimidator" I tipped him. "The Intimidator" starts yelling at the porter to turn over the tip to him. We picked up the pace and soon were safely inside the Princess terminal while the 2 porters were still jawboning at each other.

I don't know who oversees these guys, but you better leave a tip - or else.

We had a similar experience a few years ago with the porters at Port Everglades.  They were very aggressive in asking for tips.  I left my husband to deal with them, and booked out of there as fast as I could.  Sorry hubby!

3 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

Usually do not tip, unless the porter has to do something above and beyond normal process.  Never had a problem on over 30 cruises.  The initial porter takes the bag and puts it on a cart.  A different porter moves the full carts into the terminal. The bags are then transferred by another worker and placed into a forklift suitable container. A forth worker, forklift driver, lifts that container into the ship where Princess personnel take over the bags.

So the person that you tip only has access to and controls your bag for about 15 seconds, at most. A part of the process that you can stand and watch to make sure that the bags are put on the cart with tags intact.  We also always put two tags on each bag inside plastic tag holders.  Never had a bag delayed, failed to be delivered, or even had 1 of the 2 tags missing.

The process varies quite a bit from port to port, but basically, you are right in that a number of different people handle the bags. However, only the first one, the one who has interaction with the passenger and is the one who has access to any tip is the only one who has reason to "mess with" the bags/tags.  To the rest of the people handling the bags, any bag is just another one of the countless bags that he/she will see during the day and they probably could care less about taking the time or effort to do anything with the bag other than get rid of it and move on to the next one.

Tom

19 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

The process varies quite a bit from port to port, but basically, you are right in that a number of different people handle the bags. However, only the first one, the one who has interaction with the passenger and is the one who has access to any tip is the only one who has reason to "mess with" the bags/tags.  To the rest of the people handling the bags, any bag is just another one of the countless bags that he/she will see during the day and they probably could care less about taking the time or effort to do anything with the bag other than get rid of it and move on to the next one.

Tom

The first one, only has access for a few seconds, and you can watch and monitor the complete time, a few seconds, where he has any access or control. If he messes with it in any way, you can see that, and you have the ability to correct the issue, and make a complaint in away that impacts future behavior, including a picture of the porter and the bag.

While there are some operational differences between ports, the work breakdown is pretty similar. Bottom line is I have yet to see a US port where I could not see the hand off of the bag from the initial porter to the filled cart step. You do get some major differences in foreign ports.  For example is Buenos Aires you put your bags on a conveyor, which takes them immediately through the wall, so now porter contact at all.

12 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

The first one, only has access for a few seconds, and you can watch and monitor the complete time, a few seconds, where he has any access or control. If he messes with it in any way, you can see that, and you have the ability to correct the issue, and make a complaint in away that impacts future behavior, including a picture of the porter and the bag.

While there are some operational differences between ports, the work breakdown is pretty similar. Bottom line is I have yet to see a US port where I could not see the hand off of the bag from the initial porter to the filled cart step. You do get some major differences in foreign ports.  For example is Buenos Aires you put your bags on a conveyor, which takes them immediately through the wall, so now porter contact at all.

Then you have never cruised out of Pier 91 in Seattle on Sat, Sun, Mon or Tues because on those days the porter that originally takes your bags goes around the side of the terminal building and enters the luggage hall and disappears from your view. You cannot follow him once he goes past the front of the building, although you could stand in the front of the building and watch him up to the point that he enters the building. That's the case on the east side of the building. You'll lose sight of him well before he enters the building on the west side as your view is blocked by parked equipment.

If you don't use a porter at Pier 91, you take your bags inside the building and go back into the luggage hall where you give your bags to a porter who puts them directly onto the belt into the scanner. They come out the back end of the scanner where you can watch another longshoreman take the bag off the belt and load them directly onto a cart.

Tom

3 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

We witnessed this intimidating type of behavior at San Francisco port last year, boarding for our Hawaii cruise. A longshoreman was flinging F bombs at a passenger for carrying his own bags, telling him he couldn't do that. I thought the passenger was going to lay him out. This went on for at least five minutes. Not sure how how it was resolved as we entered the terminal.

I don't want to deal with our luggage, so we tip, $5 a bag. But attitude is everything. All the guys we have dealt with have been polite and accommodating. If I got some jerk like that longshoreman, I'd stand there and yell for the cops.

that was me carrying my golf bag on board.

• Haha 1