You Better Tip at Port Everglades - Or Else!

Squire5000

I can guarantee that they will not get anything out of me. I carry my own luggage onto the ship and do not need assistance and secondly I do not take BS from anyone and am big enough to stand up for myself and not take that sort of abuse.

If you carry your own bags onto the ship, that this entire thread does not apply to you.

I'm a little suprised, as you have told us that you always go first-class with everything.

To me, first-class, is not carrying one's own bags.

If you carry your own bags onto the ship, that this entire thread does not apply to you.

I'm a little suprised, as you have told us that you always go first-class with everything.

KA-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM

down goes Brisbane , down goes Brisbane

just perfect bucky... ( you had to be there...):evilsmile:

• Like 1

I can guarantee that they will not get anything out of me. I carry my own luggage onto the ship and do not need assistance and secondly I do not take BS from anyone and am big enough to stand up for myself and not take that sort of abuse.

We did not know you could carry your own luggage onto the ship?? We carry our own off the ship.

Perhaps this would have saved our friends from losing their luggage. I told them they had not tipped enough when none of their luggage made it on the ship. Eventually was found a week or two after getting back from the cruise and was shipped to their home. Apparently it had been hanging out in the port all of that time. This was Port Everglades.

A few years ago we had a curbside check in guy at one of the NYC area airports, JFK I believe, inform us that our 2 suitcases were overweight and would cost $50 each in extra fees. I handed him $10 and they suddenly lost weight and went on the conveyor belt just fine. I kind of got the impression that he tried this with everyone. If I recall correctly, we were in a bit of a hurry so paying him off seemed cheap.

At MCO, I planted my teenage daughter on a bench near the departures entrance with our luggage while I went literally across a street to return the car to the on airport location. This was to save us needing to roll the suitcases and save her the walk for medical reasons. Her instructions were to wait there for me and don't move. When I returned a few minutes later, she informed me that the individual from curbside check in had come over to her and taken the bags and when she had not offered a tip, had been somewhat snotty with her. My first response was that I wished she hadn't allowed him to take the bags, but it was done. When we got home, it was obvious that the seam of my favorite piece of luggage had been cut open.

We did not know you could carry your own luggage onto the ship?? We carry our own off the ship.

Perhaps this would have saved our friends from losing their luggage. I told them they had not tipped enough when none of their luggage made it on the ship. Eventually was found a week or two after getting back from the cruise and was shipped to their home. Apparently it had been hanging out in the port all of that time. This was Port Everglades.

If your luggage is small enough to fit through the scanners at check-in then you can carry your own on board. I do it for convenience and a quick start to the holiday and it beats waiting around for luggage to arrive. I am all set and ready to go. I became something of an expert packing bags and luggage when I joined the Navy and feel the skill has helped better time manage my holidays.

Not necessarily, it gives ideas to others to carry theirs on to avoid this situation. Not sure where you are getting your idea about first class from. Perhaps you are stalking the wrong members posts or getting your list of people you stalk mixed up.

None the less taking your own bags on the ship enables a quicker start to the holiday and is phenomenal time management. While other passengers are hampered by their inability to do certain things until their luggage arrives, I on the other hand am all unpacked, cabin ready and enjoying my holiday on embarkation day within an hour of stepping on board.

Not necessarily, it gives ideas to others to carry theirs on to avoid this situation. Not sure where you are getting your idea about first class from. Perhaps you are stalking the wrong members posts or getting your list of people you stalk mixed up.

None the less taking your own bags on the ship enables a quicker start to the holiday and is phenomenal time management. While other passengers are hampered by their inability to do certain things until their luggage arrives, I on the other hand am all unpacked, cabin ready and enjoying my holiday on embarkation day within an hour of stepping on board.

Never have had rude porters at any world terminal we have departed from with Princess and our bags always arrive in a timely manner (usually with in an hour of boarding) and we are off and running....:)

Never have had rude porters at any world terminal we have departed from with Princess and our bags always arrive in a timely manner (usually with in an hour of boarding) and we are off and running....:)

Your luggage probably would arrive within an hour of boarding when you have been sitting in the terminal for over an hour.

As for me I have priority boarding with loyalty status. Carrying my own on guarantees the luggage arrives with me. At least it will get to the correct cabin and not be damaged, thrown around or lost.

The problem is with over 2000 passengers and probably double the suitcases the mathematics and numbers just do not add up to enable speedy delivery for all cabins. So you can thank the ones who carry their own on and relieve the pressure from the porters thereby speeding up delivery of the luggage that is checked in.

I have to laugh at those who insist on carrying all their luggage on. Imagine if everyone suddenly decided to do that? It would slow up the embarkation process considerably. Just think about it, everyone standing around waiting to board with all their luggage in tow. LOL, and some of those ramps and switchbacks can be quite steep, further hindering the process.

I will continue to happily pay the extortion money. [emoji2]

I enjoy having the ability to bring a choice of what I want to wear during the day a

or evening Including swim and work out attire, shoes and accessories.

On vacation I don’t want wet clothing hanging all over the cabin to dry either with the exception of a swim suit. I will continue to tip the porters appropriately.

If your luggage is small enough to fit through the scanners at check-in then you can carry your own on board. I do it for convenience and a quick start to the holiday and it beats waiting around for luggage to arrive. I am all set and ready to go. I became something of an expert packing bags and luggage when I joined the Navy and feel the skill has helped better time manage my holidays.

You've got that right and if your luggage doesn't fit thorough their scanners, your probably taking much to much junk to begin with. :')

We've been taking our own luggage on for years & always among the first to eat.

We can unpack immediately after lunch & be finished before many people are even aboard.

Your luggage probably would arrive within an hour of boarding when you have been sitting in the terminal for over an hour.

As for me I have priority boarding with loyalty status. Carrying my own on guarantees the luggage arrives with me. At least it will get to the correct cabin and not be damaged, thrown around or lost.

The problem is with over 2000 passengers and probably double the suitcases the mathematics and numbers just do not add up to enable speedy delivery for all cabins. So you can thank the ones who carry their own on and relieve the pressure from the porters thereby speeding up delivery of the luggage that is checked in.

We stay in suites so I do not think your schlepping a roller board on ship is really any help to us or anyone else....:rolleyes:

The bags aren't screened by Princess employees? How do they get notified of contraband (booze, weapons, irons, etc.)

No, the bags are screened by a longshoreman running an xray machine. Those bags that are found to contain items that look suspicious to the person running the scanner are pulled and placed in a separate container that is marked for delivery directly to the ships security personnel on the ship who handle the process from that point on. At least that is the way it is done at Seattle. I suspect that it is handled the same way at other ports.

Tom

I am a solo traveler, and have one 28" piece of luggage that i give to the porters....I tip $3 that is it...I dont know whether they still have the sign in Port Everglades, but i saw it, and it did say tipping porters is at your own discretion....Up in tampa, at the cruise terminal there, the porters do greet you as you get out of the taxi, and they tell you up front,...that they will take your bags...and it is at your own descretion to tip...you are treated very decently....not like down in Port Everglades or Miami...these guys are union workers...and they do not work for the cruiselines...

Been on 40 cruises never tipped porters when getting on ship they are long shore men union and well paid. I always tip the drivers who take us to the port and load and unload our bags, we have never had any problem getting our bags the cruise lines would go ballistic if the porter started messing with the bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been on 40 cruises never tipped porters when getting on ship they are long shore men union and well paid. I always tip the drivers who take us to the port and load and unload our bags, we have never had any problem getting our bags the cruise lines would go ballistic if the porter started messing with the bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree, they are not going to risk their high paid union jobs by not doing what they are paid to do.

• 8 months later...
On 2/25/2018 at 3:58 PM, pasto5 said:

We had our luggage tags ripped off both suitcases because apparently we did not tip enough in Miami. There was a sign posted saying tips were not required. We had 5 luggage tags disappear and it delayed our luggage delivery considerably.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeap ....same thing happen to me.  We saw the not tip sign and honor it.  The porter rip off our tags. We got our luggage after we had to verify it.  How big can you luggage be so you can carry it on board in case I see a porter with a mean attitude.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:04 AM, Optotronics said:

I agree, they are not going to risk their high paid union jobs by not doing what they are paid to do.

Its easy to rip off a tag without risking your job.  Just pickup the luggage by the tag...and its gone.  It will always look like a mistake

16 minutes ago, thedeadman said:

Its easy to rip off a tag without risking your job.  Just pickup the luggage by the tag...and its gone.  It will always look like a mistake

Actually, our luggage could carried by the cruise tag and won't tear off.

do your research and you can find the starting pay grade of the local ILA-1526 longshoreman; you too would see well they are well taken care of and would not risk tearing any labels or pulling stunts that could cost them their career.

I always take a photo of my luggage and the porter. I use those sturdy plastic luggage tags with the thick wire attachment. I smile and portray a happy pleasant attitude when I hand over a $2 per bag tip.

If I ever encountered an unpleasant porter as many have described here, I’d take my bags on board personally. I would take the luggage apart and put every item through the scanner individually  before I let someone I thought would damage my things take possession of them. 

• Like 1

We were just at PE last month and did not have a problem as always.  The porter was friendly and helpful.  We gave him $5 for two bags per usual.  We do have heavy plastic holders for our luggage tags which is attached to the luggage with a heavy metal wire so it would be hard to destroy it casually.  Reading all these complaints is real eye opening as we have never seen it.  

7 hours ago, thedeadman said:

How big can you luggage be so you can carry it on board in case I see a porter with a mean attitude.

Both of our bags are 18 inches wide & fit through the scanners with a little clearance on both sides. The thickness & length don't really present a problem unless exceptionally large.

Bringing our own bags with us when boarding give us the chance to unpack ASAP before sail away & dinner and not have to wait for delivery.