New to Celebrity - Which ship to start?

mmadhatter

I think choice of ship would be largely dependent upon which itinerary interested you the most.

Get a copy of their brochure, and start your process of elimination there (works for me - I choose itinerary before ship, but some do it the other way around).

Hi, first, I know Royal offers way more ships (in number) so part

of your question depends on what you think is midsize.

The 3 C-Class ships are in the 70-77,000 ton range.

The 4 M-Class ships run in the 90,000 ton range.

And the smallest ship is Zenith and she is less than 50,000 tons.

There are many different opinions from X'rs about which class of

ship they prefer. I have been on both sizes and enjoyed myself

everytime. The M-Class offers more choices, example, Specialty

Restaurants, Aqua Spa Cafes.

The C-Class are smaller but in my opinion are just as lovely.

My experiences on both size ships have been fabulous.

Service and food both always great.

I cannot give you a comparison, due to the fact the only

Royal Ship I have sailed was Sovereign of the Seas (before her

recent re-do).

Whichever ship you decide to book, have a wonderful cruise.:)

We also first choose itiniery. We sailed Celebrity for the first time this past June and wanted to go back to Alaska. So checked it out and r/t from San Francisco we took the Infinity, mid size-1950 passenger. We ordinarily cruise Princess but wanted to try Celebrity. We like thie mid-size ships the best.

Marilyn

All of our prior four Celebrity cruises have been on C-class ships, and we have been on all three. We depart Jan. 2nd on Mercury for a 11 nighter.

There are subtle differences between the three vessels. [e.g., the Royal Suites on Mercury and Galaxy have a small cut off of the veranda in the bedroom which allows for a sitting area in the bedroom and has a door leading out to the veranda, Century does not.] They are remarkably easy to get around, and it never seems crowded.

Of the three, our favorite is Century which just happens to be the oldest of the three. [Mercury is the newest.] The basis of our opinion is that Century has what we consider to be the greatest staff afloat, always helpful, always smiling, and happy to see you.

or so I've gleaned from three years of hanging out on this board :)

it happened to be the ship for our first and second Celebrity cruises -- and we're hooked, although its sister ship Mercury is our absolute favorite -- it has a few improvements, including the aft covered pool/grill-pasta bar/eating area between the buffet cafe' and the open aft deck -- especially perfect for the cooler-weather cruises we have enjoyed on Mercury (California coast & Alaska).

TR

next: Galaxy PC 4/1/06

past: Mercury AK 8/05, Millennium EC 12/04, Mercury CA-MX 4/04, Infinity AK 8/03, Century WC 3/03, Century EC 9/02

We are seasoned diamond members of RCI but now want to try Celebrity. Like mid sized ships, great service and good food. We are a husband & wife of 30 years and are 46 & 48. Enjoy nature and sight seeing. Any suggestions welcomed

You'll have a great cruise on any of them. I would maybe lean towards M-Class, since you've done a lot of RCL ships. As I'm sure your probably know, X is owned by them. They've done a great job keeping RCL in new ships, while X gets by with dry-docks.

Your 46 and 48 and been married for 30 years! That's amazing! Congrats!

I too prefer the Century, but Summit ranks next!

I'd say you cant go wrong on any of them -- pick where you want to go and then look at the ships.

Expect great food and great service and generally a fun cruise. That's what you will get.

Happy choosin' and happy cruisin/!

love

jloan

Just my take on it but the worst X ship you pick is going to far exceed the best of the RCL ships. Pick the week you can go, then the places you want to go and find the ship. Too bad you can't pick those other 2000+/- people going with you. Sometimes that can make or break a great cruise not the ship you choose.

We've sailed Century (twice), Mercury (soon to be twice), Summit (twice), and Millennium. All were outstanding. If I were just picking on the ship alone, I'd probably pick Summit. Part of that is probably because we had so much fun on her both times we sailed her. That tends to make a ship stick out more in your mind.

We've also sailed on a few RCI ships (Monarch, Explorer, Mariner, Brilliance, Jewel). Summit is built on the same hull as the Brilliance and Jewel so that should give you some feel for the size if you've sailed on any Radiance class ship. The C-Class (Century, Mercury, Galaxy) ships are closer to the size of Sovereign, Monarch & Majesty but are all newer than the RCI ships. We much prefer the C-Class ships over the RCI smaller ships.

I don't think you could go wrong with any Celebrity ship. If you have been relatively happy with RCI, you'll be happy on Celebrity.

Mmadhatter - I am one who looks at itinerary first also. We chose Constellation last year because she left out of San Juan and you get an island just about every day., and there is usually less children aboard. Since we don't have any small children we prefer this time of travel.

We are also going on the Famous Century for a two nighter out of Fort Lauderdale Jan 12, because everyone on Cruise Critic has spoke so highly of this ship that I had to see her before she gets her Makeover next Spring.

I believe you will love any of the ships.

Enjoy your cruise and please post your experience.

Charlie

We've sailed Century (twice), Mercury (soon to be twice), Summit (twice), and Millennium. All were outstanding. If I were just picking on the ship alone, I'd probably pick Summit. Part of that is probably because we had so much fun on her both times we sailed her. That tends to make a ship stick out more in your mind.

We've also sailed on a few RCI ships (Monarch, Explorer, Mariner, Brilliance, Jewel). Summit is built on the same hull as the Brilliance and Jewel so that should give you some feel for the size if you've sailed on any Radiance class ship. The C-Class (Century, Mercury, Galaxy) ships are closer to the size of Sovereign, Monarch & Majesty but are all newer than the RCI ships. We much prefer the C-Class ships over the RCI smaller ships.

I don't think you could go wrong with any Celebrity ship. If you have been relatively happy with RCI, you'll be happy on Celebrity.

Hi, Anne! Glad to hear you like Summit the best, because we are thinking of that for an Alaskan cruise in 2007....IF the itinerary is similar to the one for 2006.

The difference in equality is the itinerary. We have sailed on Mercury around South America; Galaxy in the Carib and across the Atlantic; Infinity to Hawaii and through the Panama Canal and Millennium in the Mediterranean. We are booked on Constellation for New England next September and again on Infinity for a Hawaiian RT in April 2007. The difference in size between the C class and M class is not much, and as long as your ship is not too big you will enjoy it. We have also sailed on RCCL, HAL (twice), NCL, Carnival, Princess (three times), Oceania and Crystal. Crystal is in a class by itself, for which you pay. Oceania is a unique "niche" line, and if the itinerary is good, and the price fair; it is very fine. But Celebrity is well ahead of all the others, so for a mainstream ship with a high return for your dollar, you can grab any X ship and be confident you will have a very good cruise.

There've been some very good responses in this thread. You'll see the ratio of passengers to tonnage favors Celebrity. I believe Celebrity has a little more understated elegance. As far as which class of ships....they are all good but there are a couple of important differences to DW and I.

Century class ships have far fewer verandahs...none (or practically none) until you get to suite level cabins. That changes this year when Century gets a makeover and picks up about 250 verandahs for lower classes. Millenium class ships have many verandah options to choose from, slightly larger cabins and they have the specialty restaurants. These restaurants make dining a 2 1/2 hour fine dining event, not just a meal. (We really like that). Century gets a specialty restaurant as part of her refit this coming spring. For the specialty restaurants and more cabin options we tend toward the Millennium class ships. But only slightly because the Century class ships are VERY nice also, should itinerary take us there.....we just book a suite to get the verandah.

Merry Christmas and good sailing.

RandA

Century class ships have far fewer verandas...none (or practically none) until you get to suite level cabins. That changes this year when Century . . .

RandA

Actually, it's just the Century that has such a limited number of verandas. Century has a total of 61 verandas. Mercury and Galaxy each have 220 verandas. The Century, as originally built, did not have verandas on the Vista deck. This will change with Century's April refit.

Zenith...she is a true cruise ship, and when she is finally gone you'll be able to say you sailed on a classy, warm, proud ship...quiet cozy bars...warm friendly staff...wonderful size (it even feels like a ship!!).

Don't fall in love with the toy's of cruising...the sea, the staff, the islands, the other pax, fine food, these things make a cruise great...not ESPN, CNN, Email, verandas...etc.

Danno, I am with you. The Zenith (sorry---Zenith) is a wonderful ship. We have sailed on her 5 times. The crew is very friendly and with one exception tops in service. (It is nice to board and have someone call your name in greeting and not when they see your name on the sea pass but because they remember you from a previous cruise.) The crew tends to re-up on Zenith so you will see them again on a repeat sail.

Any ship you take with Celeb will not be a disappointment. Have a great cruise! And Hqppy new Year!

. Like mid sized ships, great service and good food.

Then you will love Celebrity Cruises, because that is what they are all about, as well as elegance. We sailed on Century (twice), and Summit, and would recommend Summit, simply because of the different pools (shallow, deep and Thelassotherapy) available to all, and the specialty restaurant. You will not be sorry...

. Like mid sized ships, great service and good food.

Then you will love Celebrity Cruises, because that is what they are all about, as well as elegance. We sailed on Century (twice), and Summit, and would recommend Summit, simply because of the different pools (shallow, deep and Thelassotherapy) available to all, and the specialty restaurant. You will not be sorry...

Just don't fall into the "bigger is better" trap...bigger is better for cruise line's, bottom line...not always for the client.

Big ships have a lot to offer, but they give up much in other areas...I like smaller :) .

Archived