Anyone ever book a last minute European Cruise less than a month out?

CarnivalCruiser32

My family already has one cruise scheduled for late this summer (on Carnival in case you couldn't tell haha because that's the line we've always sailed on together) and we're considering a European cruise this Fall. My mom went on the Epic with a few friends last spring and LOVED Europe as well as the Epic. We have to finish paying off our summer cruise and save up some more cash before booking one in Europe which is what is putting my family off to the idea - also, because they are balcony people and I probably can't convince them to cruise in an inside cabin - they'd rather shell out the extra $$.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has booked a European cruise from the States and gone on it less than a month later. We're looking in Mid-October since we figure we can have the money saved by Mid September and it should be cool weather but not cold. We know flights are more expensive that close to departure but we're willing to pay a bit more on that to be able to cruise Europe so soon after our last cruise. I'm kind of all for inside room rates and going last minute if there are still cabins available though, because I know I can easily save up enough to pay for an Inside Cabin in Full in September and super expensive airfare (or take a budget airline). So I will go without them if I have to hahaha

If you've gone on a European cruise after booking a month or even 3 weeks beforehand I'd really love to hear about your experience!! Tell me all the things!! I can't possibly be the only person crazy enough to try to attempt this

Thanks in advance!

In 2009 I was sort of browsing online, looking for a cruis, any cruise. I found the Gem leaving in 28 days from Barcelona for New York. “Let me call and see if they have an aft balcony available.”

They did, and at a very attractive price. We had a deal. Flew out about three weeks later, spent a couple of days in Barcelona and cruised back to New York. And what a cruise. It was one of our most exiting TAs with winds of 57 kn and 28 ft waves.

We booked a Mediterranean out of Rome 4 years ago 3 weeks out. We were just sitting at home a little before Christmas and I was just looking at some prices and found a great deal on a 9 day leaving on January 4th and we booked it. Had a great time.

My brother and I booked a Costa cruise in March of 2016 less than two weeks out. We flew to Milan, cruised out of Savona, and arranged to get off the ship in Civitavecchia (Rome), because we wanted to do Easter Mass at the Vatican. We had a blast and got an amazing last minute deal on an inside cabin. I'm a balcony person too, but we were never in our stateroom and the weather was really too cool to take advantage of a balcony. We fly standby, so I can't give you advice on the airfare.

My brother and I booked a Costa cruise in March of 2016 less than two weeks out. We flew to Milan, cruised out of Savona, and arranged to get off the ship in Civitavecchia (Rome), because we wanted to do Easter Mass at the Vatican. We had a blast and got an amazing last minute deal on an inside cabin. I'm a balcony person too, but we were never in our stateroom and the weather was really too cool to take advantage of a balcony. We fly standby, so I can't give you advice on the airfare.

That sounds like it was a fantastic trip. Standby, as in non-rev? If so, that had to be stressful .

That sounds like it was a fantastic trip. Standby, as in non-rev? If so, that had to be stressful .

Yes. Non-rev. We are pretty used to it, so we usually have multiple strategies to get where we want. Though it was a risk. The most stressful part of the trip was getting from the Milan airport to the port in Savona. We paid Costa for a transfer and they didn't send one. We made that boat with precious little time to spare.

I would push to book the inside. Europe is very expensive and excursions will be pricey. You will have early mornings and late evenings potentially so think of the inside as only a place to sleep.