More Explosives found on Ferry

chrpai

So we would need to take the ferry? We will be there on 3/29

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends which location you have booked at. I think one is in Cancun BUT most people on cruise ships to Cozumel go to the location near the main town on Cozumel, which you wouldn’t need a ferry for. You may need a taxi depending on which pier you are docking at. You would only need the ferry for Cancun, which I wouldn’t recommend doing on your own for a cruise ship day (unless it is a ship excursion, which at the moment wouldn’t be running anyway) which is why I asked in the first place where you were doing it because it would be unusual that you would need to take the ferry.

The other popular dolphin swim on Cozumel is at Chankanaab but that is a different company, Dolphin Discovery.

I haven’t been to any so you would need to google for exact location and details.

Edited by c-leg5

It depends which location you have booked at. I think one is in Cancun BUT most people on cruise ships to Cozumel go to the location near the main town on Cozumel, which you wouldn’t need a ferry for. You may need a taxi depending on which pier you are docking at. You would only need the ferry for Cancun, which I wouldn’t recommend doing on your own for a cruise ship day (unless it is a ship excursion, which at the moment wouldn’t be running anyway) which is why I asked in the first place where you were doing it because it would be unusual that you would need to take the ferry.

The other popular dolphin swim on Cozumel is at Chankanaab but that is a different company, Dolphin Discovery.

I haven’t been to any so you would need to google for exact location and details.

We booked it through Royal Caribbean. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Booked on Carnival in August.

I'm noticing all the Scuba excursions (with the exception of the "discovery" dive, which is a 2 minute taxi ride away) are no longer showing on the website.

Is this because of this incident, or is it because of something else?

(I know none of you have a 100% definitive answer, just wondering the general concensis)

Have you even been to Cozumel before? It is nowhere near Acapulco or Cabo. Crime in Cozumel is very very minor as tourism is the only industry. They really don't want to lose their only income on the island. I have been going to Cozumel at least once a year for the past 18 years for week-long land vacations. It is a safer place than most cities in Florida, that's for sure. If you don't want to go there, fine, don't go. We will continue to go there on land and cruise vacations.

have a nice day.

robin

Hi Robin - It doesn't matter what the people want, only what connected elites and cartels want. Did it matter in Acapulco that cartel violence has wrecked havoc on the tourism industry there? Did it matter when cartel violence spilled into a nightclub shoot out last year in Playa del Carmen? Most people keep their heads down and try to stay out of the limelight.

Not at all what I was implying. I am saying that regarding local crime, not cartels, most of the reports are based on gossip. I get this from my Mexican friends, who live there and have to deal with it on a daily basis. This bombing has nothing to do with any drug cartel, it has to do with the ferry company itself, whether the fact that it is owned by a corrupt politicians family or whether it is the other ferry companies taking out the competition who has been undercutting their business. We may never know who did it, due to all the rumors of "who said what" and "what was found".

How can you make this claim? Politics and the cartels are totally intertwined in Mexico whether via co-existence pacts or outright cooperation. In addition, cartels love to make very visible demonstrations of their power like hanging victims with attached signs from bridges overall popular roads.

Booked on Carnival in August.

I'm noticing all the Scuba excursions (with the exception of the "discovery" dive, which is a 2 minute taxi ride away) are no longer showing on the website.

Is this because of this incident, or is it because of something else?

(I know none of you have a 100% definitive answer, just wondering the general concensis)

Back at the end of January one the companies that contract with the cruise lines had a boat sink with cruise passengers. No one was hurt, but Carnival cancelled all scuba excursions. I guess they haven't found a replacement yet.

Back at the end of January one the companies that contract with the cruise lines had a boat sink with cruise passengers. No one was hurt, but Carnival cancelled all scuba excursions. I guess they haven't found a replacement yet.

It was the dive op, SandDollar, and their scuba boat started taking on water and the pump failed, from all reports. They radioed for help and other dive op boats immediately arrived and got the people off before the boat sunk.

Since SandDollar was the dive op contracted by all the cruise lines (they one of the few scuba dive shops with multiple boats so they can service multiple cruise ships on a day) all the cruise scuba excursions were cancelled. There are approx 80 different dive ops on the island, mostly small companies or just a DM that only own/lease 1-2 small boats each. It is possible to book scuba excursions on your own there, as long as you do it a few weeks ahead of time.

Cozumel is its own little world. Only place I WOULD go in Mexico (other than Maya Chan which I also have stopped at during a cruise). The rest of that country I wouldn't waste my time in. NASTY! And if you listen to the "locals" around the island, they don't think too highly of mainland themselves. So Cozumel shouldn't be placed in the same category as your high crime, drug cartel areas of Mexico.

Not to sound cynical, but one of the nice things about cruising is that a ship can skip a port if it gets destroyed by a hurricane or overrun by narco gangs.

No, they just get another port to go to or simply give you a day at sea with a refund of port fees which can help pay for the drinks by the pool on that sea day.