Need thoughts on MSC Lirica vs Bellissima through Suez

ariellejesse

I see that Lirica and Bellissima are repositioning through the Suez and the prices are reasonable without the high port/gov.tax charged by US lines. I do not find any recent reviews on Lirica and wonder what members think about the overall experience, food, day activities, etc. Bellissima will be coming later so no info yet, except the proposed itinerary. I would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks

We've done Sinfonia (a Lirica class ship) through the Suez from Venice to Durban. We had a fantastic time onboard. One major factor was the fact that there was a wonderful husband & wife team who played every night in the Sinfonia lounge. A couple of the Entertainment team, plus the duo who did the dance classes also made a huge contribution to our overall enjoyment. The same may not apply on Lirica.

We've also sailed on Meraviglia - same class as Bellissima. If you're looking for variety and more choices of activities and entertainment onboard, I'd opt for Bellissima as it's a far bigger ship than Lirica.

You're welcome! :)

I didn't comment on food or make comparisons in my original reply because we were in YC on Meraviglia, where the food offerings are better than MDRs. Something else you might want to consider: on Bellissima, there will be 3 speciality restaurants whereas there are none on Lirica.

• 1 month later...
I see that Lirica and Bellissima are repositioning through the Suez and the prices are reasonable without the high port/gov.tax charged by US lines. I do not find any recent reviews on Lirica and wonder what members think about the overall experience, food, day activities, etc. Bellissima will be coming later so no info yet, except the proposed itinerary. I would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks

Hi,

I have sailed on the Lirica several times. She was the first MSC ship that I sailed in and reviewed as a travel writer. I would not continue to go back again and again on her if she was not one of the best. It is her size. Not to big and not to small. MSC crew often remarked to me, whilst on other MSC ships, that she was their preferable ship. Now retired I am booked on Lirica's Dubai to Venice repositioning cruise March/April 2019.

Thanks Moray,

I appreciate the responses. I have not booked yet--would be traveling solo since DH would not be coming. Any thoughts on the preferred cabin/service for this route? I am surely enjoying reading all the MSC reviews for the various ships and services available.

I am always very reluctant to recommend particular cabins “ariellejesse” as everyone who cruises have various and different requirements. For example, some may want to be in the heart of the action and near to bars, entertainment and dining rooms. Others on the other hand may want to be as near the upper decks to take advantage of the open leisure and pool areas. There again some, like me, prefer piece and quiet, so look far a cabin as high as possible. Within as small a group as possible or with a stern or bow facing cabin. However,with diesel electric power plants rear cabins can at times be exposed to soot specs.

On Lirica,my preference is to book cabins 12003 or 12004 on Rossoni Deck 12. They are forward facing cabins located abovethe ships bridge with very private balconies. They are in a very quiet part of the ship being part of a group of only28 cabins. Above is the exclusivesolarium. Being in this selection ofcabins also give us the benefit of breakfast in our cabin at no extra charge. On one of the longer repositioning cruises,this is just a delight and a great way to start a sea day.

As to food,well MSC is an Italian/Swiss family owned company so the food has a distinctiveItalian slant although they do try to match the menus to include delicaciesfrom the sailing areas and ports of call. To be honest, I have sailed on ships with many speciality restaurants,some good and some not so good, but have found that Lirica’s MDR’s equate to ahigh standard. Probably due to thenumber of passengers that the ship can accommodate. Easier to control chefs and waiters.

With regardsto entertainment, well if you are looking for big brash Broadway musicals, thenchoose the biggest ships. Having saidthat, Lirica does have one of the better theatres in the MSC fleet. Again, preferred by many of the performersthat I have spoken to. The lounges willoffer simple small performance areas suitable for combo bands, instrumentalistsand singers. Again, this is perfect formy style of cruising.

A word ofwarning. Remember that MSC cruise shipscater mainly for a European Market and must contend with many different languages. So, if you are expecting English speakingcomedians and so forth then you will be disappointed. MSC is not a Butlin’s at sea cruise line.

I hope thatthis helps but please do not hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I have enjoyed reading the reviews for the MSC various cruises and am sure I would be pleased with the ambiance, etc. I would enjoy the opera entertainment and hope the powers do not entirely omit this part of the cultural experience. I will keep you in mind for further questions--thanks so much.