Port Everglades Fort Lauderdale - Uber, Taxi or Shuttle Transfer?

tonylew

We are sailing August 2018 out of Port Everglades, Florida with Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas on a Sunday. There will be 4 of us and I'm not sure what the best mode of transportation/transfer from the hotel to the port/terminal. The hotel is less than 5 miles to the port/terminal and has a private shuttle and charge $5 - 8/person.

The hotel shuttle is booked on a first come first served bases and starts @ 9:30 am. Every other pickups will be 45 minutes apart. I hear that the port/terminal is a very busy place and you need plenty of time to register. My goal was to check in as early as possible. Not sure but I see other blogs stating 11:00 am is the early check in time.

Should I go with Uber XL or larger, taxi of bus shuttle?

Thank you in advance for your feedback and suggestions!:D:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I first wanted to let you know that under the port of call section of Cruise Critic there is a board called the Florida Departures Board where this type of question is asked often. It is located at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Since I am familiar with this area I will provide you with feedback.

Best means different things to different people. For me it is convenience and I would recommend just getting Uber XL. The price would not be a whole lot different then a shuttle since there are four of you and it would be more convenient then having to go on the shuttle schedule. My second choice would be a taxi such as a taxi van.

Again I would go with Uber.

Keith

My first option would be Uber hands down, no questions asked. You 4 can get an UberXL for the least amount. You pay per car, not per person with Uber. You should all be able to fix in an UberXL with luggage no problem. My next option though I would cringe while doing it, would be a taxi. More expensive than an Uber and much nastier. Lastly I would go with the hotel shuttle. The reason I say that is because a lot of hotels use shared shuttles. Meaning your shuttle would pick you up then stop at 10 other hotels before getting to the port. If your shuttle is not a shared shuttle and is private for ONLY your party, then Uber would be my first choice then the hotel shuttle would be my second choice.

• 2 weeks later...

The advice to take Uber/Lyft or a taxi is spot on. You don't want to take a shuttle because those are priced per person (versus per vehicle for Uber/Lyft and taxis) plus they can take more time (you need to wait until the van fills up and then it may make multiple stops at the various ship terminals before dropping you off). With Uber/Lyft or a taxi you also depart when you want to, not a on a periodic shuttle schedule.

If you decide to go with a taxi, you can request a van taxi for the same price as a sedan. They are plentiful in Fort Lauderdale.