Snorkeling West Bay

Guest 2000

8 hours ago, Bob514450 said:

Thank you for all this information. Just want to be sure I understand... If I arrive on the beach by Bananamara Drive between paradise and Bananamara resorts, I will be able to walk on the beach and get to THE spot (shown on the map) between paradise and grand Roatan? Or their "properties" go up to the shore line and I'll get stopped?

Thank you in advance!

Yes, public access to the West Bay Beach is a small gravel road between Bananarama and Paradise Beach Hotel. 

I am sorry, I do not understand the question about "the spot" between Paradise and Grand Roatan. 

The concern is how much of the sand is public, and if it is covered with people walking up and down the beach. You are certainly welcome to arrive on the beach via public access and play in the water anywhere along the sand. And you may be able to find a spot to sit on the beach out of everyone's way on public space. 

Please do be aware the sand fleas can be relentless and you may not notice until much later. 

I reread your post, I believe you are asking of you can access the snorkeling  between Infinity and Grand Roatan via public access between Bananarama and Paradise.  Yes!  There is enough public beach to be able to walk the whole of West Bay which would include your route. 

If I have misunderstood your question please do ask again. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am so thrilled to have found this thread . Thank you OP .

On 8/21/2018 at 1:11 PM, karena1 said:

We do the West Bay Beach Break with Island Marketing. $33 pp and that includes our ride to/from, entrance into Bananarama, 2 drinks and our lounge chairs. Driver stays with you the entire time. Last time there were only 6 of us and we had a mini van. Snorkeling was really good, we are doing it again this time.

Hubby had lunch and if I remember right it was pretty reasonable. We really liked it there, that is why we are going back again with the same tour.

I believe it is drink . Maybe you got a freebie . 😉 

We have booked with Shore Excursioneer . Very similar to Island Marketing .

https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/roatan/west-bay-beach-day.html

https://roatancruiseexcursions.com/excursion/roatan-west-bay-beach-break-day-pass-excursion/

On 11/12/2018 at 1:17 PM, karena1 said:

If you are looking at the water, then left down towards the rocks

thanks 

On 11/13/2018 at 9:31 PM, Guest 2000 said:

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed yourself.  I have been out there many times by my self but I have also been out snorkeling with guides... there are pros to both options. 

Another great suggestion . Thanks

On 12/10/2018 at 8:30 PM, endoellen said:

We will be in Roatan in January.  This will be our 2nd time there aboard a cruise ship. Last time we did zip lines, monkeys, etc. , then short time on beach at Bananarama with Bodden tours.  This time I really just want to spend time at the beach and of course hoping it's not a rainy day, but I hear that is a good chance in January.  I'm leaning towards Paradise Beach Resort & would like transportation included.  I found it on Island Marketing but you have to pay in full when booking.  If it is storming that day I would hate to waste our money.  Any ideas on booking that doesn't require full payment or that will refund if the day is a wash out!  Thanks in advance!

I'm sure it has been said on this thread but the Victor Boddin Fun in the Sun Tour to the Monkeys and then snorkeling on West Bay Beach at the Bananarama Resort does not require a deposit. You pay them when you meet them at their booth at the cruise port. We love that option. 

3 hours ago, lake show cruiser said:

I'm sure it has been said on this thread but the Victor Boddin Fun in the Sun Tour to the Monkeys and then snorkeling on West Bay Beach at the Bananarama Resort does not require a deposit. You pay them when you meet them at their booth at the cruise port. We love that option. 

We used Victor Boddin Tour a few years ago and did the zip lines, monkeys and beach time at the Bananarama Resort.  It was a fun day!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2018 at 7:26 AM, Guest 2000 said:

Yes, public access to the West Bay Beach is a small gravel road between Bananarama and Paradise Beach Hotel. 

I am sorry, I do not understand the question about "the spot" between Paradise and Grand Roatan. 

The concern is how much of the sand is public, and if it is covered with people walking up and down the beach. You are certainly welcome to arrive on the beach via public access and play in the water anywhere along the sand. And you may be able to find a spot to sit on the beach out of everyone's way on public space. 

Please do be aware the sand fleas can be relentless and you may not notice until much later. 

I reread your post, I believe you are asking of you can access the snorkeling  between Infinity and Grand Roatan via public access between Bananarama and Paradise.  Yes!  There is enough public beach to be able to walk the whole of West Bay which would include your route. 

If I have misunderstood your question please do ask again. 

Thank you very much for the advice. We came back from our cruise last weekend (NCL getaway). 

It was rainy when we arrived in roatan, but stopped when we get out the taxi. It started back when we when out of the water. So not too bad. We took a private taxi to Bananamara Road. Thank you for the tip because the driver wanted us to go to a resort. We didn't need a chair or lunch. It costed us 50 USD total for 2 including tip, parking and taxi. He waited a bit more than 2 hours.

The fish were impressive but we wish we knew a path to pass the other side of the shallowest reefs. We saw a map on one of the booth when we came back to the port. They show the clear path in front of infinity bay. We could have reached the other side near the big drop.

I didn't thought it would be that shallow. Some time I was afraid of touching the sharp reef. Some time also I was kinda caught between reef and the waves was pushing me towards them.

I thought the reef themselves would be more alive but I think there's too much pollution/activity. Also we got very small jellyfish burns but nothing to bother much.

We enjoyed it anyway.

Thank you again guest2000 for your great help!

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2019 at 8:38 PM, Bob514450 said:

Thank you very much for the advice. We came back from our cruise last weekend (NCL getaway). 

It was rainy when we arrived in roatan, but stopped when we get out the taxi. It started back when we when out of the water. So not too bad. We took a private taxi to Bananamara Road. Thank you for the tip because the driver wanted us to go to a resort. We didn't need a chair or lunch. It costed us 50 USD total for 2 including tip, parking and taxi. He waited a bit more than 2 hours.

The fish were impressive but we wish we knew a path to pass the other side of the shallowest reefs. We saw a map on one of the booth when we came back to the port. They show the clear path in front of infinity bay. We could have reached the other side near the big drop.

I didn't thought it would be that shallow. Some time I was afraid of touching the sharp reef. Some time also I was kinda caught between reef and the waves was pushing me towards them.

I thought the reef themselves would be more alive but I think there's too much pollution/activity. Also we got very small jellyfish burns but nothing to bother much.

We enjoyed it anyway.

Thank you again guest2000 for your great help!

I only just found this post. 

I am sorry to hear you were not able to find the way thur the reef farther out. There is a kidney-shaped spot in front of Infinity which leads out to proper reef. Unless there is a storm of some sort West Bay is generally bathtub calm. If you were fighting waves, you may have had poor visibility as well... perhaps you were out of a less than great day. 

A good reason to go back and give it another try, perhaps arrange a local guide

• 2 months later...

Guest 2000,

Thank you for all your Great information. We have been to Roatan several times and always go to West Bay Beach. We have used your map showing entrance to Best Reef!

We have gone to Grand Bay Resort before it was completed and was able to snorkel right off their beach, Fantastic! Last time we went to Paradise Beach and walked down to beach in front of Grand Bay. The person we booked our transportation with last time was not to bad $20 or $25 pp and this included entrance to Paradise Beach Club and we paid $10 pp for chair. We got to use bathroom and showers after. Now this same person is charging $30pp and then we have to pay additional fee of $20 pp to enter Paradise Beach. This is higher than what I saw on TA. I just sent and email to Paradise Beach Resort. Hope to hear before our 5/25/29 cruise.

You are most welcome for the information. 

Just to clarify for other people.. were you speaking of Grand Roatan Resort.  :0)  Indeed all of the beaches on Roatan are public so stepping onto the water from anywhere along West Bay Beach is easy done. I prefer the access in front of Infinity Bay Resort than that near Grand Roatan, I find the coral far to shallow for me along the wall.  I swim from Infinity to the wall and back. 

I agree the prices slide around a bit and one need to check several sources to find fair numbers. I believe those which offer transport included with a day pass are a superior value.