Laundry Question

gjkov

If you wash the clothes and the shirts, for instance, need ironing, send them it for "ironing only" (much less expensive). My DH won't wear no iron dress shirts and they come out of the suitcase wrinkled. I send his dress shirts in to be ironed as soon as we get onboard. Not expensive at all.

Now that is a service I would probably use. Is there a price list somewhere?

If you wash the clothes and the shirts, for instance, need ironing, send them it for "ironing only" (much less expensive). My DH won't wear no iron dress shirts and they come out of the suitcase wrinkled. I send his dress shirts in to be ironed as soon as we get onboard. Not expensive at all.

Refusal to wear no iron shirts would cause serious problems in our household 😀

Refusal to wear no iron shirts would cause serious problems in our household 😀

The polo shirts that he wears at home don't require ironing and he doesn't wear dress shirts in our "real life" (thank goodness!):evilsmile:.

I am on the Explorer. Here are a few of the "Pressing Only" prices:

Men's Dress shirt: $2.95

Men's Slacks: $4.95

Men's 2 Piece Suit: $6.95

Women's Blouse: $3.95

Women's Skirt: $4.95

Women's Evening Dress: $5.95

Well, I do agree--however the last place I want to be on the ship is in the laundry room while on vacation, I prefer the open deck looking at the ocean. That said if we get up early we'll throw in socks, underwear and maybe some polo shirts. Set the alarm on the phone and come back to our deck for coffee. But nothing more. Rick

Well, I do agree--however the last place I want to be on the ship is in the laundry room while on vacation, I prefer the open deck looking at the ocean. That said if we get up early we'll throw in socks, underwear and maybe some polo shirts. Set the alarm on the phone and come back to our deck for coffee. But nothing more. Rick

So agree the last thing we want to do is spend time in a laundry room after paying big bucks for a cruise. Penny wise and pound foolish. Is that right?

Well no need to visit the laundry room at all - just book one of the 29 "special offer" 2018 cruises and its all taken care of. As Regent says:

"Experience the joy of unpacking just once and arriving home with no laundry. On select sailings in the Mediterranean, enjoy complimentary laundry and garment pressing* in all suite categories so you can experience true luxury, where everything is taken care of."

Got to say, its a new one on me, but a really excellent move towards making Regent truly "all inclusive" for all its passengers. I for one will be voting with my wallet.

Well no need to visit the laundry room at all - just book one of the 29 "special offer" 2018 cruises and its all taken care of. As Regent says:

"Experience the joy of unpacking just once and arriving home with no laundry. On select sailings in the Mediterranean, enjoy complimentary laundry and garment pressing* in all suite categories so you can experience true luxury, where everything is taken care of."

Got to say, its a new one on me, but a really excellent move towards making Regent truly "all inclusive" for all its passengers. I for one will be voting with my wallet.

Every time a new "inclusive" item is added, we pay for it in our fares. Based on the included laundry that we get based on the Seven Seas Society loyalty program, I would estimate that $500 (minimum) would need to be added to the fare to include laundry.

Regent is already the most inclusive luxury cruise line out there yet passengers want more........ go figure!

Every time a new "inclusive" item is added, we pay for it in our fares. Based on the included laundry that we get based on the Seven Seas Society loyalty program, I would estimate that $500 (minimum) would need to be added to the fare to include laundry.

Regent is already the most inclusive luxury cruise line out there yet passengers want more........ go figure!

Well there are lots of people who might argue about whether or not Regent are "the most inclusive luxury cruise line out there" given the real life restrictions on excursion availability and at times limited availability of access to the speciality restaurants - but that's for another "thread".

In relation to your estimate of $500 being added to the fare. Well I cannot speak for all 29 of the "special offer cruises", but the one I have booked has not had its fare increased since the recent introduction of this offer. As such, it is a real offer and Regent should be given the credit for it.

In relation to your comment that "passengers want more ... go figure!". Of course passengers want more, that is their nature and that is why cruise lines keep offering more? Indeed, I really cannot understand why a fellow customer would moan about Regent improving their "all inclusive" offer?

Well there are lots of people who might argue about whether or not Regent are "the most inclusive luxury cruise line out there" given the real life restrictions on excursion availability and at times limited availability of access to the speciality restaurants - but that's for another "thread".

In relation to your estimate of $500 being added to the fare. Well I cannot speak for all 29 of the "special offer cruises", but the one I have booked has not had its fare increased since the recent introduction of this offer. As such, it is a real offer and Regent should be given the credit for it.

In relation to your comment that "passengers want more ... go figure!". Of course passengers want more, that is their nature and that is why cruise lines keep offering more? Indeed, I really cannot understand why a fellow customer would moan about Regent improving their "all inclusive" offer?

The "special offer cruises" are just that - special offers that were probably implemented due to lack of sales in the Mediterranean - not something implemented permanently (thank goodness).

Just finished reading the Oceania board (Regent's sister company) and posters indicate that cruise lines are offering less - not more. In fact, there has been some downgrading in their loyalty program (again - subject for another thread).

Speaking for myself, I do not want to add anything that will increase the fares on Regent. In fact, I have been a proponent of giving credits for people that do not want included excursions (another issue but one that speaks to adding inclusions). Most importantly, after 30 cruises and 400 nights, I would be extremely disappointed if all passengers were given our loyalty benefit (included laundry and dry cleaning) PLUS we would have an increase in the fares.

P.S. Another off topic thought ..... if Regent stopped offering included internet to everyone, the connectivity would improve (and I wouldn't care if the fares didn't go down). On the other hand, having a more reasonable package for internet would be acceptable. In the past, you had to be a Silver Seven Seas Loyalty program member to receive included internet. This was changed to having to be Gold and then it became free.

The "special offer cruises" are just that - special offers that were probably implemented due to lack of sales in the Mediterranean - not something implemented permanently (thank goodness).

Just finished reading the Oceania board (Regent's sister company) and posters indicate that cruise lines are offering less - not more. In fact, there has been some downgrading in their loyalty program (again - subject for another thread).

Speaking for myself, I do not want to add anything that will increase the fares on Regent. In fact, I have been a proponent of giving credits for people that do not want included excursions (another issue but one that speaks to adding inclusions). Most importantly, after 30 cruises and 400 nights, I would be extremely disappointed if all passengers were given our loyalty benefit (included laundry and dry cleaning) PLUS we would have an increase in the fares.

P.S. Another off topic thought ..... if Regent stopped offering included internet to everyone, the connectivity would improve (and I wouldn't care if the fares didn't go down). On the other hand, having a more reasonable package for internet would be acceptable. In the past, you had to be a Silver Seven Seas Loyalty program member to receive included internet. This was changed to having to be Gold and then it became free.

Oh now I understand the ".... go figure." You do not like something being given to everyone that you feel should only be given to you due to your "loyalty" status - well as with all cruise line loyalty schemes, they have to change to meet evolving market requirements and are rarely set in stone. That is, you have paid for 30 cruises and got 30 cruises, anything after that is a bonus. For most people the offer of free laundry is a real benefit and supports Regents claim of being the "most inclusive line". In fact, in this case you are not losing anything, you like everyone else has free laundry. Indeed, if it makes you feel better do remember that you still have free dry cleaning due to your loyalty status.

Well with regard to cost, as I have already said, there has been no price increase on the cruise I booked and do not believe the price of any of the others have increased, but as I said I have not analysed all 29.

In relation to your "off topic" comment, I really cannot believe that you are arguing for Regent to become less inclusive without a price decrease. Indeed, your comment about the internet reads very elitist and seems to suggest that only those who are willing to pay crazy internet charges or gets it free due their loyalty status should have access to it. Is it a case that you believe that Regent should only be the "most inclusive line" for those with Gold+ status?

Oh now I understand the ".... go figure." You do not like something being given to everyone that you feel should only be given to you due to your "loyalty" status - well as with all cruise line loyalty schemes, they have to change to meet evolving market requirements and are rarely set in stone. That is, you have paid for 30 cruises and got 30 cruises, anything after that is a bonus. For most people the offer of free laundry is a real benefit and supports Regents claim of being the "most inclusive line". In fact, in this case you are not losing anything, you like everyone else has free laundry. Indeed, if it makes you feel better do remember that you still have free dry cleaning due to your loyalty status.

Well with regard to cost, as I have already said, there has been no price increase on the cruise I booked and do not believe the price of any of the others have increased, but as I said I have not analysed all 29.

In relation to your "off topic" comment, I really cannot believe that you are arguing for Regent to become less inclusive without a price decrease. Indeed, your comment about the internet reads very elitist and seems to suggest that only those who are willing to pay crazy internet charges or gets it free due their loyalty status should have access to it. Is it a case that you believe that Regent should only be the "most inclusive line" for those with Gold+ status?

As a Platinum level cruiser, I am close to TC2's statement BUT a have (I believe) a slightly different slant on "laundry for all". I could care less if Regent included laundry for all passengers IF they made adequate provisions to NOT degrade the service they have previously promised and DELIVERED to its elite Seven Seas Society level members. BUT 1) I remember the results of included excursions (packed buses and interminable potty breaks) and included WiFI (insufficient additional broadband) and 2) the recent posting about the laundry crew/operations (on Mariner from Lima to BsAs) doesn't paint a picture of much excess laundry capacity to handle such an increased load as "included laundry". Hope Regent proves us "doubters" wrong as we are on an October Med cruise.

As a Platinum level cruiser, I am close to TC2's statement BUT a have (I believe) a slightly different slant on "laundry for all". I could care less if Regent included laundry for all passengers IF they made adequate provisions to NOT degrade the service they have previously promised and DELIVERED to its elite Seven Seas Society level members. BUT 1) I remember the results of included excursions (packed buses and interminable potty breaks) and included WiFI (insufficient additional broadband) and 2) the recent posting about the laundry crew/operations (on Mariner from Lima to BsAs) doesn't paint a picture of much excess laundry capacity to handle such an increased load as "included laundry". Hope Regent proves us "doubters" wrong as we are on an October Med cruise.

Now the quality of the service they provide is a completely different argument. Whether you are an "Elite Seven Seas Society level member", or simply a new cruiser paying 6 star prices for a cruise that includes free laundry, the standard of service should reflect the quality promised. If they cant do this, then you are right, they should not offer it.

nigelc: DeepFreeze63 brings up some excellent points.

I think that you misunderstood my statement about why the 29 cruises did not have an increase in price. It is basically a "sale" that is giving a benefit in lieu of a price decrease. In my opinion, it would make no sense to raise the price on cruises that were not selling well. Sales have picked up due to the laundry benefit. BTW, the laundry benefit has been discussed on another thread. People that don't have included laundry want it, most people that have it don't want it given away and some people don't care if it is given away as long as we still receive the same service - in the same timeframe that we currently receive. The bottom line on loyalty benefits is when you take them away, the reason to be loyal goes away.

Yes - I am arguing for some things to be less inclusive as they are not working as well as when Regent prior to their inclusion. as DeepFreeze pointed out so well, since excursions have been inclusive, the quality of the "experience" has gone down and, although Regent did some major upgrades to their wi-fi, there are too many passengers using it at the same time which has deteriorated the benefit.

If/when Regent can handle these inclusions as well as they did previously, I may feel differently (as long as new loyalty benefits are added to keep their most loyal customers loyal. As mentioned, lowering of loyalty benefits is currently being discussed on the Oceania board and, since they are part of the "NCLH", it is interesting to read the responses from their loyal customers.

I do not think that loyalty benefits should play into whether or not Regent is the most inclusive line. My "take" on Regent being the most inclusive luxury cruise line (looking only at Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea) is that they are the only cruise line that has multiple included excursions in each port and international Business Class air (for people in North America) as well as having a pre-cruise night at a hotel for most guests. Note: If Regent wanted to offer Business Class international air to everyone I would have no problem with it (nor would I have a problem with going back to have a pre-cruise night at a hotel for all guests) since these are not earned benefits.

P.S. If free laundry is important to anyone, sail on Silversea in a Silver Suite or above. That will solve the problem (although you pay more money).

Yes TC, I understand the logistics/issues of offering Wi-Fi, laundry, excursions to all passenger's, but is this not what supports Regents claim to be the "most inclusive line" - something that you have argued on their behalf many times on CC. Indeed, Regent claims to be a 6 star line but it would seem that you are arguing that they cannot deliver a 6 star level of service to all its passengers.

In relation to your comments arguing for some things to be "less inclusive", you appear to be arguing for some kind of class system to be introduced - something which you have argued against on another thread when separate check-in for the upper suits was introduced. While loyalty programmes are introduced to encourage repeat business, new customers are needed if the cruise line is to survive long term. Indeed, as I said before, you have paid for 30 cruises and got 30 cruises - anything else is extra and not set in stone. New customers pay the same fare (in some cases more due to the discounts available to Seven Seas Society members) and should not be treated as second class customers when on-board.

Yes - I am saying that Regent does not deliver 6 star service when it comes to excursions or internet. Regent also claims that "internet", "excursions" and airfare - whether Business Class or Coach - are free when this is clearly not the case. While I have the highest respect for Regent and their management team, I think that they need another advertising agency as their ads are pretty misleading.

Yes - am definitely against the class system but, I do not consider loyalty benefits part of a "class system" as it is based on nights sailed - not who you are - what suite category you are in - how much you paid, etc. Loyalty benefits are also invisible to most passengers. When we are on the ship, no one knows if I have free laundry, 25% off excursions, have private transfers to and from the ship, etc.

On the other hand, a special line for people in upper categories is clearly a class system and is not invisible. A class system would also be a lounge/restaurant where lower category guests cannot enter. Most cruise lines do have a class system and, for the most part, luxury cruise lines do not. It is something that some of us will argue against for as long as we can. If we lose the battle, it will be disappointing but not as bad as losing something that you have worked towards for years.

I do appreciate the fact that we can strongly disagree and debate with each in a respectful way - this is how things should always be on CC.

DeepFreeze,

Adding to your comment. I am currently on the Explorer....and just off of the Mariner. The internet on both ships is WAY below standard.

The average internet speed is between 0.5 and 1.0 Mbps. If you want to add streaming, they charge $34.98 per day. I have asked both Internet Managers "If we pay for the streaming and you open up the ports, do we also get faster internet?" The answer from both ships is "No...it is the SAME speed." We don't see the value of adding streaming as the speed is sometimes not fast enough even to get Facebook without the video streaming.

Sorry TC, but you have not "worked at" gaining the SS membership level, you have just chosen to cruise with Regent (hardly work). I have no issues with loyalty programmes, but they should not restrict what services other paying passengers receive on what is the "most inclusive line". As I keep saying, you have paid for 30 cruises and have had 30 cruises - anything else is extra. While a private car to and from the airport/home seems a nice way to reward loyal passengers, restricting new passengers access to the internet is definitely not. Indeed, this sort of restriction would clearly create a class system on-board.

DeepFreeze,

Adding to your comment. I am currently on the Explorer....and just off of the Mariner. The internet on both ships is WAY below standard.

The average internet speed is between 0.5 and 1.0 Mbps. If you want to add streaming, they charge $34.98 per day. I have asked both Internet Managers "If we pay for the streaming and you open up the ports, do we also get faster internet?" The answer from both ships is "No...it is the SAME speed." We don't see the value of adding streaming as the speed is sometimes not fast enough even to get Facebook without the video streaming.

Hardly supporting the 6 star experience promised. However, to be fair, having been on both the Navigator and Mariner I have found the internet service to be good, but there again I do not use Facebook.

S"........restricting new passengers access to the internet is definitely not. Indeed, this sort of restriction would clearly create a class system on-board."

New passengers did not get included internet for most of the years that we have been cruising. This is a relatively new perk (guessing about 2 years). No one complained that people received included internet when they sailed enough days with Regent. Even now, people Gold and above receive two sign ons per suite while people that have not reached that level only receive one sign on per suite. No class system - simply a great loyalty program.

In the U.S., we are used to extra perks for loyalty. It it were not for the loyalty program, we would sail Silversea more or might try Seabourn. We stay with Regent because it meets most of our requirements and because of the loyalty program.

New passengers did not get included internet for most of the years that we have been cruising. This is a relatively new perk (guessing about 2 years). No one complained that people received included internet when they sailed enough days with Regent. Even now, people Gold and above receive two sign ons per suite while people that have not reached that level only receive one sign on per suite. No class system - simply a great loyalty program.

In the U.S., we are used to extra perks for loyalty. It it were not for the loyalty program, we would sail Silversea more or might try Seabourn. We stay with Regent because it meets most of our requirements and because of the loyalty program.

Not complaining that loyal Regent customers receive benefits - it makes perfect sense to me (after all, I am in the programme too). Indeed, with respect, it was you who stated that you wanted to restrict such "all inclusive" elements as laundry and Wi-Fi because it affects your use. I do not believe Regent wants to introduce a class system, I am just pointing out that your comments would lead to one. In fact, my original post was simply praising Regent for including in the price a very useful new element in their 2018 Mediterranean sailings.

In relation to not trying Seabourn because of Regents loyalty programme, well I am sorry but that is just sad. Considering the cost of luxury cruises, the perks (even at your level) do not beat the experience of trying something new - especially, such an experience as they provide.

nigelc: When posters told me several years ago that I should be trying other cruise lines, we tried Silversea (3 times) and Oceania twice. While they both are lovely cruise lines, they do not beat Regent. So, for that reason, we no longer have a interest in trying Seabourn (and certainly not Crystal).

In terms of laundry - it is already restricted - except for the 29 cruises that you referenced. As stated, when Wi-Fi was not included it was not a big deal. And the fact that laundry is not included (except for very long voyages and the silly "promotion") is also not a big deal. In fact, in all of the years that we have been cruising on Regent (since 2004), it was not until the darn special in the Mediterranean was offered that anyone even "moaned" about the fact that they didn't qualify for that benefit. So, in my opinion, Regent made a gross misstep by offering this benefit for the 29 cruises!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Just discussed this issue with my British DH and he agreed that not having included Wi-Fi or laundry does not create a class system. He brought up airlines, credit cards, hotels, etc. (which I tend to not want to compare with cruise lines) - all of which have loyalty programs. The fact that we just booked first class flights using points from our credit card and maybe someone else cannot does not define our credit card company as a having a class system.

nigelc: When posters told me several years ago that I should be trying other cruise lines, we tried Silversea (3 times) and Oceania twice. While they both are lovely cruise lines, they do not beat Regent. So, for that reason, we no longer have a interest in trying Seabourn (and certainly not Crystal).

In terms of laundry - it is already restricted - except for the 29 cruises that you referenced. As stated, when Wi-Fi was not included it was not a big deal. And the fact that laundry is not included (except for very long voyages and the silly "promotion") is also not a big deal. In fact, in all of the years that we have been cruising on Regent (since 2004), it was not until the darn special in the Mediterranean was offered that anyone even "moaned" about the fact that they didn't qualify for that benefit. So, in my opinion, Regent made a gross misstep by offering this benefit for the 29 cruises!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Just discussed this issue with my British DH and he agreed that not having included Wi-Fi or laundry does not create a class system. He brought up airlines, credit cards, hotels, etc. (which I tend to not want to compare with cruise lines) - all of which have loyalty programs. The fact that we just booked first class flights using points from our credit card and maybe someone else cannot does not define our credit card company as a having a class system.

Oceania is not a luxury line as it is considered premium. Seabourn is wonderful and Crystal is up there as well and Regent too. Variety is good in the luxury market and we have enjoyed all of them. We are not loyal to one line or another all of them are excellent in their own way.

I wonder why you have not tried Seabourn which are beautiful and also Crystal does offer suites. We love the Master Suite on the Voyager.

We think they are all great!