Amber Cove

April42749

Two years ago we did the "Secluded Villa All-inclusive" and were quite happy with it, even at $100 pp. I think it's higher now. It was held at Lifestyle Resort. Very nice villa, each couple got their own bedroom for changing and relaxing, there was a nice pool, a nice open bar with mostly top-shelf liquor (the other was mid-shelf), and an excellent barbecue for us including steak and shrimp, plus snacks and appetizers beforehand. The beach was nearby but frankly, we didn't want to leave. :)

We're returning this October and I noticed a few other all-inclusive choices this time. We haven't decided yet about which one to do.

I would suggest NOT doing La Casa En Playa, it isn't anything like it looks on the website. Mama was very sweet but the rest of the day was a waste. Not enough food, horribly watered down drinks, rusty nails holding the umbrellas on their stand. The wind picked up and they(both nails and umbrellas) started flying all around until the staff removed them all. Ants all over the shower stall and walls in the ladies room, and the lock was broken. Bad experience.

I would suggest NOT doing La Casa En Playa, it isn't anything like it looks on the website. Mama was very sweet but the rest of the day was a waste. Not enough food, horribly watered down drinks, rusty nails holding the umbrellas on their stand. The wind picked up and they(both nails and umbrellas) started flying all around until the staff removed them all. Ants all over the shower stall and walls in the ladies room, and the lock was broken. Bad experience.

Thanks, that's actually one of the ones I was looking at.

We might just make it a relaxa-day at the cruise terminal, with a side of zipline. :)

Two years ago we did the "Secluded Villa All-inclusive" and were quite happy with it, even at $100 pp. I think it's higher now. It was held at Lifestyle Resort. Very nice villa, each couple got their own bedroom for changing and relaxing, there was a nice pool, a nice open bar with mostly top-shelf liquor (the other was mid-shelf), and an excellent barbecue for us including steak and shrimp, plus snacks and appetizers beforehand. The beach was nearby but frankly, we didn't want to leave. :)

We're returning this October and I noticed a few other all-inclusive choices this time. We haven't decided yet about which one to do.

We decided on the Lifestyle Serenity VIP Resort Getaway, https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/amber-cove/lifestyle-serenity-vip-resort-getaway-445018

It has all great reviews and it looks like its closer to port than the others. We sail Sept 15th, I'll write up a review when we get back.

We decided on the Lifestyle Serenity VIP Resort Getaway, https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/amber-cove/lifestyle-serenity-vip-resort-getaway-445018

It has all great reviews and it looks like its closer to port than the others. We sail Sept 15th, I'll write up a review when we get back.

Yes, Lifestyle Resort is where our all-inclusive was also, under a different name.

Lifestyle is largely a timeshare operation and at one time, cruise excursion pax were being asked if they were interested in signing up, etc. There were complaints and that practice stopped pretty quickly. When one of our group asked at the villa about booking a vacation there, the lady in charge politely deflected the question. I think they were ordered to stop even mentioning timeshares.

Nice port if you want a "free day" with stuff to do. Big pool complex and shopping. There is no beach area here (this side of the island the water is dark and murky, not blue and clear).

However, there are many different excursions you can book that will take you to a different side of the island with the beautiful sandy beach/blue ocean. You can do beach days, or we like to book snorkeling here (was FABULOUS!). with lunch included.

As far as price. You can look into a tour on your own, or check out Carnivals' site for activity prices if you wish to book direct. You are usually looking at $79 - $149/pp depending on what you want to do.

Where did you go snorkeling?

I'll offer a different opinion on AC - I didn't even get off the Horizon when it docked there last month. I'm not fond of the "manufactured" cookie cutter ports that Carnival builds. I prefer to get away from the port area so I get a feel for the island and its culture and food. Since I can't tell where I am when in a chain store restaurant or jewelry store, a cruise ship's shopping mall just doesn't do it for me.

I stayed in Puerto Plata where the closest beaches to AC are situated and that beach reminded me of Coney Island - gray dark water, coarse yellow brown sand. All the hotels there including some mentioned already as RFAD are only 2 star affairs. You cannot get to Caribbean blue water and white sand beaches (like in Punta Cana) from AC.

The villages of Cabarete and Sosua are both nice, but they are even further from AC than Puerto Plata. I also visited Ocean World during my stay, and am ambivalent about it. I do hear that the waterfall excursion is fun for younger fit folk, but alas, I no longer am either.

There was a nice spit of sand opposite AC where some ATV tours stopped for a few brief moments, but I didn't see anyone enter the water there.

So if you want a Caribbean beach with island food like I usually do, AC isn't a good fit. If you like shopping, a pool, and chain stores contained inside the port area, AC will be fine for you. Different folk, different strokes.