Freeport excursion question - Paradise Cove/Deadman's Reef

keycruiser5

I am cruising with my 18 yr old daughter for the 1st time during spring break. One port is Freeport. The excursions listed with Carnival aren't too thrilling or are expensive with poor reviews. I was thinking about going to Paradise Cove and snorkel Deadman's Reef. Doesn't anyone have advice regarding this? I am uncertain about doing something that isn't "Carnival approved." If we go should I book through Trip Advisor? There are lots of options including food, etc so any advice is appreciated!

Freeport is the worst port in the Caribbean, hands down. It is located in an industrial area and anywhere worth while to see will be a 20-30 minute taxi ride. Stay on board and enjoy the amenities of the ship while those not in the know go ashore.

We went here during our cruise in November and it was great! I booked directly through their website. When we got off in port we were directed to an area to wait and a man came along from there and directed us all to a bus. It was maybe a 20 minute ride to get there. Once there we checked in and were given snorkel gear and listened to a briefing on where you could snorkel. The snorkeling here was amazing! The best I have ever seen. I swam with several sea turtles for a long time. Food was decent at the little bar there. I was there with 3 young children and they enjoyed it as well. We never felt a bit unsafe. They do a great job of knowing when you need to be back to the boat and announce when you need to start getting ready to head back. They take you back and drop you off right where you get back on the boat. I would highly recommend this place. Don't be afraid to book an excursion that's not through the cruise line. I have never booked one through the cruise line and we have never had any issues. Have a great time!

Freeport is the worst port in the Caribbean, hands down. It is located in an industrial area and anywhere worth while to see will be a 20-30 minute taxi ride. Stay on board and enjoy the amenities of the ship while those not in the know go ashore.

The Bahamas are actually in the Atlantic, not the Caribbean, so water will be a little cooler depending on where you go.

Freeport was our favorite port on our recent Bahamas cruise, and we took the Kayak excursion. Our guide drove us to Lucayan National park where we kayaked in the mangroves, had a short nature walk, and then a nice amount of time on beautiful gold rock beach (including a basic picnic lunch). It seemed more like a 15-20 minute drive and Sam gave us interesting information about the area during the drive.

There is a small shopping area right in port and we saw several passengers with nice long-sleeved t-shirts that we might get if we have the chance to return.

You can always opt to stay on the ship, but we found the island much nicer than New Providence (Nassau).

The Bahamas are actually in the Atlantic, not the Caribbean, so water will be a little cooler depending on where you go.

You can always opt to stay on the ship, but we found the island much nicer than New Providence (Nassau).

The fact that the water will be a little cooler in the Bahamas really does not matter to me because I would be staying on board in either Freeport or Nassau. The ship is my primary reason for cruising these days and I enjoy the newer ones afloat that don't go to Freeport and unfortunately sometimes stop in Nassau.

I'm not the only person who feels this way about those two ports. Do a search on the boards and the only people that rave about Nassau and Freeport are those who have not yet visited other better islands in the area. Southern, Eastern, Western Caribbean as well as Bermuda are all better.

We LOVED Freeport. We did the Kayaking excursion through Carnival. Wow, what a blast. Here's my video and a few photos. Totally worth it and might be our favoritte ship excursion ever!

Gold Rock beach

2018Feb21_Freeport947-L.jpg

2018Feb21_Freeport924-L.jpg

2018_Breeze_FreeportKayaking3-L.jpg

Lunch included is just a picnic with stuff to make sandwiches, which was fine with us. When we got back to port we got another lunch on ship.

robin

The fact that the water will be a little cooler in the Bahamas really does not matter to me because I would be staying on board in either Freeport or Nassau. The ship is my primary reason for cruising these days and I enjoy the newer ones afloat that don't go to Freeport and unfortunately sometimes stop in Nassau.

I'm not the only person who feels this way about those two ports. Do a search on the boards and the only people that rave about Nassau and Freeport are those who have not yet visited other better islands in the area. Southern, Eastern, Western Caribbean as well as Bermuda are all better.

The water temperature information was more for the OP and anyone else who might read the post. You made it very clear that you don't like Freeport, and researching the boards for our trip I saw many posters agree with you. I also saw many who raved about Gold Rock Beach (not too many rave about Nassau though;)) . I have visited Western Caribbean and hope to visit Southern, Eastern, and Bermuda (even if it does sound cold). They all have unique things to offer but Lucayan park was much more beautiful to me than any Western ports we visited (and Gold Rock Beach is rated one of the top in the world.

I'm glad we didn't listen to the naysayers and took a chance on this excursion. It's good that you know what does and doesn't work for you and can enjoy an extra sea day and those of us who do want to explore the area have fewer cruisers to contend with on the excursions.

We LOVED Freeport. We did the Kayaking excursion through Carnival. Wow, what a blast. Here's my video and a few photos. Totally worth it and might be our favoritte ship excursion ever!

robin

Thanks for the video and pictures, Robin. We loved this excursion too - Sam was great! It was definitely one of my top 3 excursions ever. I think my husband and I might have done better if I let him do all the paddling too - I'm enough shorter that we couldn't get our strokes to match. It was a great time anyway (and that beach:hearteyes:).