Macallan Flight Experience

floralscent

Has anyone tried the Macallan flight experience? Do you think it was worth it?

My husband is a huge Macallan fan but has stuck to the same year bottle for years so I was thinking of surprising him by reserving this experience prior to sailing but I wondered how it worked.

Is this event scheduled and in a group setting with someone in charge that talks about the different flights or can he just walk up to a bar for the experience whenever he wants to? I would hate to purchase this 'surprise' for him and then it doesn't work out with our plans due to a pre-determined scheduled day/time.

Please share your experience if you've taken part in this before.

I, personally, wholeheartedly endorse this activity!

We did it on Millie last year and the staff member who hosted us was very very knowledgeable, informative and on top of his game in terms or scotch!!!!

We were a group of eight (8) several of whom were very knowledgeable about scotch as well.. we were able to taste aged Mcallan's from 10 years to 30 years.

Now, rather or not the person doing tasting on your sailing is as good as the person we had, no way to know... Yet I say go for it.

bon voyage

Has anyone tried the Macallan flight experience? Do you think it was worth it?

My husband is a huge Macallan fan but has stuck to the same year bottle for years so I was thinking of surprising him by reserving this experience prior to sailing but I wondered how it worked.

Is this event scheduled and in a group setting with someone in charge that talks about the different flights or can he just walk up to a bar for the experience whenever he wants to? I would hate to purchase this 'surprise' for him and then it doesn't work out with our plans due to a pre-determined scheduled day/time.

Please share your experience if you've taken part in this before.

Yes, do this tasting - I bought it for my husband who is also a fan of Macallan. There were two or three tasting seminars during our 9 night trip on Silhouette. I believe that they were all at 10:00 pm in Wine Cellars. It was very interesting (I don't drink scotch but was able to sit in). There were three different scotches to taste. Very informative. My husband even purchased a bottle on board that he doesn't have at home. Enjoy!!:)

Were there any other tastings offered? Can you only purchase onboard? Will be on the reflection in a few weeks so I'm hoping to take part in this

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure if there were any other than Macallen tastings. But I am sure that you can purchase on board (or before thru your cruise planner - I think about $5 cheaper to do in advance).

Never tried a flight tasting but Macallan 10yo is my malt of choice, I would hate to find out there was something better!!!

Then do yourself a favor and don’t try [DELETED] :)

Never tried a flight tasting but Macallan 10yo is my malt of choice, I would hate to find out there was something better!!!

LOL - you mean that to find out that the better cost a whole lot more than the 10 yo you are drinking now?

I know how it feels...

bon voyage

I would wait until getting on board to purchase it. Sometimes they have a discount. On some ships there is also a special scotch store/lounge on the upper deck that is open limited hours. They have sampling up there. I have also found that some of the employees/Manager in the duty free store on board are very passionate about liquor and if you get into a serious discussion with them about the finer stuff and purchasing they will let you know about some special events, discounts and a little sample on the side. They also have a free scotch siminar that requires a sign up and limited with many samples it is worth attending to get some knowledge about scotch. The one we attended was the Johnny Walker brand and very interesting about the differences and marketing.

I have also been able to get a couple of nice samples in the liquor stores on the islands. If they realize that you are very serious about buying a fine bottle and not just a free loader that is on a liquor store crawl stopping in for all the samples they may offer a sample if the bottle is already open. I would also wait until after the last port before purchasing any on board because you probably will find better prices and selections in ports. The store on board will price match but you have to provide proof and that is very hard to do because the stores watch the customer very close that you don’t take any photos.

Drink up 🍷🍸🍹🍺🥂