Children's car seats - to take or not to take???

champagne lover

We are going on a 7 day cruise at the end of April with 2 children age 4 & 2. We were hoping to leave car seats at home but what are the rules in Rome, Florence, Sardinia etc with children in taxis/buses? If necessary we will take them but so much easier not to have to. TIA for any help.

Just don’t do what my daughters friend did. She was in a car with no baby car seat so she strapped her 11 mo old in her seat belt with the baby in front of her On her lapThey were in a crash and the mother’s body weight crushed the baby to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just don’t do what my daughters friend did. She was in a car with no baby car seat so she strapped her 11 mo old in her seat belt with the baby in front of her On her lapThey were in a crash and the mother’s body weight crushed the baby to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is tragic. But yes, it's what most people would try to do even though it is the most unsafe. The safest thing is to have the child in the seat beside you, restrained as best you can. A toddler might fit the various portable harnesses available such as this one (I've not used that model, but I did use a similar one years ago) that could fit in a backpack.

We are going on a 7 day cruise at the end of April with 2 children age 4 & 2. We were hoping to leave car seats at home but what are the rules in Rome, Florence, Sardinia etc with children in taxis/buses? If necessary we will take them but so much easier not to have to. TIA for any help.

I would ask this question on the family cruises forum. I don't think that the answer should relate to the legal issues surrounding the use of car seats - it should be about whether or not your children are safe when travelling.

This is tragic. But yes, it's what most people would try to do even though it is the most unsafe. The safest thing is to have the child in the seat beside you, restrained as best you can. A toddler might fit the various portable harnesses available such as this one (I've not used that model, but I did use a similar one years ago) that could fit in a backpack.

we use the safe rider - and like it. what is does is reposition the seat belt straps so that they fit the child to keep him/her safe. Seatbelts are made for adults so if children use them - they can actually hurt/not protect the child in an accident.

btw- i've been asking tour companies if they have car seats and many did.

Just my own view.

I would take the car seats if you plan to ride in cars.

To me it is irrelevant if they are not required in Italy?

We know they are required in the USA and in selected countries to prevent injuries and fatalities.

We took a family trip last year with grandchildren and our children took the car sets and I think it was wise.

Keith

Child car seats are not required by law in Italy in taxis. But if people are thinking of renting a car, or taking a private tour in a car with a driver, they should be aware that an age and size-appropriate car seat IS required.

Edited by lisiamc