Cheers. Jeers and Tears

Ships R Great

Well, I bring a mixed message here. I have been a most loyal X'er and still am but I have just had a bad enough experience on a Celeb ship to feel it.

First, the cheers. We got back last Thursday from a Zenith B2B (12/12&12/17). We had a most relaxing cruise. Only left the ship for 30 minutes in Key West to buy stamps. Enjoyed all the trivia type games and won some of the fairly new prizes (pillows, tote bags, visors, cards and luggage tags). Ate at the Captain's table both sails, had most or second most cruises both sails (which meant nice roses), were treated by some crew and staff to drinks (don't ask who), met wonderful people, had a good time and even got kissed by the lead singer in the Martini Bar!

Second, the jeers. We had our first experience with a really bad cabin attendant. We had to change cabins between cruises. Because we had booked so late we were assigned the "emergency inside cabin" (for the second leg)which is configured differently from all the others and seems very, very small although it actually isn't, except for storage. The first attendant was wonderful. Just a very competent sweet lady. Second cruise---not good at first. When we arrived in the new cabin-no robes, no washcloths, only one pillow. Oh well. We asked the attendant for the missing stuff and it did not come. Saw the first attendant in the corridor, told her and the stuff came eventually. We took showers early afternoon and the damp towels and floor mat were still draped as we had left them the next morning. We did not complain about that but we did complain about the cabin itself. They gave us an outside cabin the next day. After that all was rosy.

Now, the tears. When we changed from the bad cabin to the good one I left a diamond dinner ring in the first cabin. We did not discover it until yesterday when I opened the little jewelry pouch we keep my ring in. It was not there. The last time I wore it, and took it off was in that cabin. I suppose it fell on the floor and we did not see it. I have called Lost and Found but I suppose we will never see it again. Our only hope is that the cabin was unoccupied last sail and they will search for it and hopefully find it.

This will not sour me on X because it was my fault but it has sure put a damper on the "post-cruise euphoria" that usually lasts a few weeks.

Caveat to all---CHECK CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU LEAVE THAT CABIN FOR THE LAST TIME. Of course, we thought we had at the time.

Please, no slams. I feel bad enough already!

Even though you had some mishaps on your cruise it sounds like you made the best of the situation. There will be no slams from me as things do happen. Unfortunately the loss of the ring sure does put a damper on the memories that acquired on the cruise. I am very sorry you lost the ring. It still may show up but it sure does not look good right now.

Marilyn

Have you thought about offering a reward for your lost ring? I successfully recovered a ring with great sentimental value from a hotel by offering a reward. The hotel said they checked the laundry and the vacuum cleaner bags, however the maid said she found it between the mattress and box springs. I had taken the ring off to apply some hand lotion and left it on the table. I was told later that your homeowner's insurance may cover the reward if the item is found, though I am unsure of this and did not apply for reimbursement as I was so relieved to have the item returned. Best of luck.

Sorry about your ring. My sister lost a diamond necklace on the Voyager of Sea last May in the showroom and someone found it and returned it to the Pursers desk. What a shame. How did you find the ship itself, did people adhere for the most part to the dress code? Were your rooms redone with new soft goods? I'll keep a good thought about your ring.

Thanks for the hopeful wishes, folks.

mahdnc---Lost and Found said they would look in the LaF in Miami and have someone search on the ship if it was not there.

dmarch---I am afraid you are probably right but since they can't prove anything against anyone I doubt that will happen.

I called Captain's Club. A very nice person convinced his supervisor to call Camilla (CC Hostess) on the ship. He called me back to say she checked and reported that they had not found it. I am still hoping (ever the optimist!!!).

Hope they locate your ring. We never take any real jewelry with us on cruises...just do not want to worry about it. seems silly not wearing what you have but I now have nice costume stuff & then if it does get lost---not such a big deal, Also agree that a bad cabin attendant can really cour a trip- have only had that experience once but it made it unpleasant--one day he just didn't make up the room at all....We were suprised bedcause it was a higher priced room & I believe they give the better workers to those cabins--this one however was just lazy! Anyhow we will pray that tour ring turns up!

Thanks, patiotgirl. Hcat---I have never worried because when I am not wearing it it is in the safe. Somehow, by some quirk, it did not get back in the safe. My DH is always very reliable in that way. I don't know what happened, but I guess I have learned a very expensive lesson. No word yet. No news is not good news in this instance I am afraid.

Now, the tears. When we changed from the bad cabin to the good one I left a diamond dinner ring in the first cabin. We did not discover it until yesterday when I opened the little jewelry pouch we keep my ring in. It was not there. The last time I wore it, and took it off was in that cabin. I suppose it fell on the floor and we did not see it. I have called Lost and Found but I suppose we will never see it again. Our only hope is that the cabin was unoccupied last sail and they will search for it and hopefully find it.

Did you happen to purchase travel insurance? If so, it's very possible that you can claim this as a loss.

TSSCOTT--we had TravelGuard. I looked at the policy and it doesn't look like it will be ciovered but I will give them a call since you sugested it. I have not called our house insurance people as yet. Waiting for the "two weeks" X said to give them. I think the ring was probable hocked in Grand Cayman last week, tho. My DH has been so good about it. He has taken it very well. Hasn't fussed about it, thank goodness! Probably because he is the one who always puts my stuff back in the safe and somehow he didn't notice it was missing then.

On my last cruise we found a brand new very nice gold necklace left in the safe, after convining my DW that I did not purchase it a surprise for her, turned in to the Purser's desk, they seemed not to know what to do about it, hopefully it got to the owner.

Hopefully your ring was found and on its way back to you.

Do cruise lines still use the term Purser or is it all customer service representative now?

• 4 weeks later...

Update---Travel Guard, if they approve it, will reimburse $500. That is better than I thought. Home Owners will do nothing because it was unscheduled and a "mysterious disappearance", not proveable theft. I recognize we are at fault but my complaint with X is that the person I called to report the missing ring did not follow through. I called to find out what was happening two weeks later as they told me to and discovered they had no record of my original call. So searching for the ring was delayed by two weeks!!!! I wrote Dan Hanrahan to let him know that while I realize we are at fault, partly, the search was delayed due to their mistake. I got a call today from corporate office. Basically they said what I know. They have not found the ring. They are sorry. So am I but what can I do? Nada---execpt to lock the door after the horse is gone and be more careful next time. Oh well, I still love X.

Thanks for the update! So sorry it was not located.

Next time be sure you have a "scheduled" disappearance so that Home Owners will cover it. WHAT??

On one of my cruises on Century, I found a pair of antique earrings in a velvet bag left in my safe (you know that "lip" at the front?--where things can hide). I took it to Guest Relations where they said they would attach the cabin number and send it back to Miami.

It would be a nice surprise if your ring would show up in the future though!!

Ships, you need new Home Owners, mine covers loss (drop the ring down a drain, the dog ate, etc.) up to $1000, I can even purchase more if needed, but the Wifesters Mood ring isn’t worth it! Sorry to hear about your loss, good luck!

Deb---"scheduled" means extra insurance coverage with it listed and appraised, etc. We had talked about it but never got around to it. (Our bad, for sure.) Thanks for the kind words.

Newtocc---thanks, too. We'ver never had to put in a claim for anything in 47years! Did not have concerns about coverage but we may rethink that.

I know you have exhaustively looked everywhere you can think of looking, but by chance could DH have put it in with his tux studs or other such container when putting it away?

I know that when we can't find stuff and I make suggestions to my wife, she usually says she's sure it can't be there, and my response is that if you don't know where it is, how do you know were it isn't;) :D

Anyway, sometimes these things have a happy ending-here's our story to give you some hope. When we first boarded the Horizon a couple years ago, we were walking near the tables around the pool, and my wife spotted a ring under one of them. It was an obviously expensive heirloom diamond. We took it to guest relations, and the frantic owner was eventually reunited with the ring. Here's hoping that whoever found (or will find) your ring will turn it in to the proper office. Maybe the delay in inquiring will work in your favor as there has been more time to have found it.

Good luck

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Archived