First HAL Cruise

Shelley G

Hi!

My husband and I (mid 50s), are taking our first HAL cruise on the Westerdam on February 5, 2006. This will be our 6th cruise. We have our 7th cruise booked for July 15th on the Celebrity Constellation to the British Isles/Norwegian Fjiords. Aside from Celebrity (twice before), we have also sailed on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian.

Tell me what we will like on HAL and how it compares to the other cruise lines we have been on. What things shouldn't we miss on the Westerdam? Is there anything we should avoid (aside from debarkation)? I have been lurking on this message board for about a week now, and decided it was time to post.

Thanks,

Shelley

Welcome to the HAL world, Shelley. We have sailed Princess, and find HAL to be a cut above. While Princess has a fine product, we much prefer HAL. The ships are lovely, and filled with fresh flowers and fine artwork. The Indonesian and Fillipino crews are most anxious to please. The cabins are a touch larger than the industry standard, and the passenger space ratios are more favorable. Enjoy your cruise!

Please help us out. We have sailed on RCCL and Carnival. I have enjoyed every cruise I've ever been on, but would like to have a quieter experience than I have had in the past. We are looking at an April 8, 2006 cruise on the Zuiderdam. I realize it's spring break for the schools, but we both work for the schools, so it's our break too. As much as we love "our" kids, it would be nice to have a little break from them. Does HAL generally have fewer children than the other lines? That's what I've heard, but I'd love to have opinions from those who have had both experiences. No, I'm not kid bashing, so please don't flame me. We haven't had bad experiences on the other lines, usually a "teacher look" calms down a rowdy group on land or sea! We'd just like to have a more adult experience. Thanks so much for your help. Blessings to all for a healthy and happy 2006.

What a nice post cruiseobsessed, it deserves to be a new post, not just tacked on here. The answer is yes. HAL has fewer children on their cruise ships. I am not exactly certain why. The aft sky deck with waterfall stayed deserted the whole 15 day cruise on the Statendam Nov2, 2005. The area is intended for teenagers.

We are looking at an April 8, 2006 cruise on the Zuiderdam. ... Does HAL generally have fewer children than the other lines?

Yes, HAL generally has fewer children than a comparable ship on some other lines, but the Vista-class tends to have more children than other HAL ships. And the Zuiderdam tends to have the most of all.

The Vista class is marketed to families moreso than the other classes.

Since you want to vacation with fewer children, in a quieter setting than other lines, you might want to look at the S-class and R-class itineraries during your break. These are smaller ships, with fewer passengers, too. There will still be families---and children---but not as many of them.

What "class" of ship is the Volendam?

The Volendam would go under the R-class heading.

The S-class are the small ships, without a mid-ship staircase and elevator bank.

Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam.

The R-class are basicly the same deckplan, a titch larger, and have a mid-ship staircase/elevator bank.

Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam.

The Vista's are a different layout and the largest of the current group.

Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, (soon) Noordam.

The Prinsendam is the smallest of the fleet and in a class by herself.

Archived