Getting from Leith to EDI

We will be on the Azamara Journey in July and will dock in Leith on the 24th of July and then disembark on the 25th after an overnight onboard ship. Can anyone with experience tell me what is the best way to get to Edinburgh airport (and approximate costs) and what would be the earliest flight you would book to LHR from EDI. TIA for your advice. CC folks are always so helpful.

There's also the train option - fast trains take just under 4 1/2 hours, and you arrive in central London. Considering the transfer time to/from EDI and LHR, it's probably comparable time-wise.
If going to central London, consider flying to London City rather than Heathrow.

We will be on the Azamara Journey in July and will dock in Leith on the 24th of July and then disembark on the 25th after an overnight onboard ship. Can anyone with experience tell me what is the best way to get to Edinburgh airport (and approximate costs) and what would be the earliest flight you would book to LHR from EDI. TIA for your advice. CC folks are always so helpful.
Hi,

The tram system takes direct from York Place to the airport. Plenty room for luggage. Its £6pp from basically the town. They also have Airport buses that run very frequently.

If you disembark the ship at Ocean Terminal I would get a taxi to York Place if tourist decide on the tram or St Andrews Square bus station if you decide on the bus. I would say at that time in the morning the tram might be a bit quicker.

No need to buy tickets in advance.

If you disembark at say 8am and get a taxi to one of the above and then onto the Airport. I would allow about an hour and a half.

Any other questions, fire away

Sent from my G8141 using Forums mobile app

I would only consider three options.

1. Taxi which you don’t have to book and will be waiting outside the terminal.
  2. Pre-bookable private hire from one of the reputable companies in the city. Cheaper than a taxi. Details available if you want them
  3. Take the Airlink 200 bus from Ocean Terminal direct to the airport. One of the local volunteers in a purple uniform will direct you to the bus stop. https://lothianbuses.co.uk/airport

You will probably have to arrive an hour before your flight to London. Because you are overnighting in Edinburgh you will be able to get off the ship as early as you like. From 7:00 traffic will start to get busy peaking from 8:00 onwards. After about 9:30 it will be a bit calmer.

Thank you to everyone for this information.

Tartanexile81 - Is the Skylink a tram type system where you can just roll your luggage onto the tram? Or is it like a train where you have to hoist your luggage up a couple of steps to get on the train. We are four seniors carrying 50 pound suitcases so if access is difficult we would probably be better off hiring a car. If it is just a matter of rolling onto the tram though, we would certainly be game for that.

Thank you to everyone for this information.

Tartanexile81 - Is the Skylink a tram type system where you can just roll your luggage onto the tram? Or is it like a train where you have to hoist your luggage up a couple of steps to get on the train. We are four seniors carrying 50 pound suitcases so if access is difficult we would probably be better off hiring a car. If it is just a matter of rolling onto the tram though, we would certainly be game for that.

It’s a bus with internal luggage space, so may not be suitable for your needs.

http://www.edinburghspotlight.com/2017/04/200airport/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It’s a bus with internal luggage space, so may not be suitable for your needs.

http://www.edinburghspotlight.com/2017/04/200airport/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK. I see that now after re-reading your post. I think maybe a private transfer may be the best way to go for us. Would you mind posting the recommended transport companies that you mentioned earlier. Thank you so much.

Where are you going after you arrive at LHR?

As I said above, don't forget that if you're going to central London, then flying to LHR may not be the most convenient thing to do. Flying to London City may well be better for you.

We are flying home from LHR. This is the end of our trip.

Hello again 2pbears, I posted earlier today but don’t know where my post has gone! I had a look at the airport buses this afternoon and saw people boarding easily with luggage. However I also said with 4 adults, it would be far better and not too much more expensive to book a car to take you direct from the ship to the airport. These are quite large companies, cheaper than a regular taxi and easily booked.

www.capitalcarsscotland.co.uk

Www.ecph.cab

We are flying home from LHR. This is the end of our trip.
I suppose the next logical follow-up question is whether you have already booked your ticket from LHR. This has a bearing on the timing of your EDI-LHR flight because (as you probably already know) if you're on two separate tickets then BA will not through-check your bags onto your onward flight from LHR and you have to allow enough time to do the complete circuit.

However, if you're booking a through ticket from EDI all the way home, and you just want a feel for when to start from EDI, then fortunately that warning can be ignored as everything will happen automatically.

Hello again 2pbears, I posted earlier today but don’t know where my post has gone! I had a look at the airport buses this afternoon and saw people boarding easily with luggage. However I also said with 4 adults, it would be far better and not too much more expensive to book a car to take you direct from the ship to the airport. These are quite large companies, cheaper than a regular taxi and easily booked.

www.capitalcarsscotland.co.uk

Www.ecph.cab

Thank you so much for this info. I think we will most likely go with the private transport and will contact these companies for a price quote. I really appreciate all of your help on this.

I suppose the next logical follow-up question is whether you have already booked your ticket from LHR. This has a bearing on the timing of your EDI-LHR flight because (as you probably already know) if you're on two separate tickets then BA will not through-check your bags onto your onward flight from LHR and you have to allow enough time to do the complete circuit.

However, if you're booking a through ticket from EDI all the way home, and you just want a feel for when to start from EDI, then fortunately that warning can be ignored as everything will happen automatically.

Thanks for your follow up. We are actually spending the night at the Heathrow Sofitel so transferring luggage is not going to be an issue. It didn't make sense to try to squeeze the two flights into one day so we will spend one last night in the UK.