Beach options when in port from 1-11pm

CJDepew

We're not cruising until 2019, but I'm one of those early organizers. Any suggestions for a beach visit with such a late arrival in port? It appears that we're the only ship in port that day, according to Cruise TT, but I'm not sure what our options are for an afternoon of sun, sand and water. I saw that one AI offers an afternoon pass from 1-9 p that included a dinner buffet but am wondering if there might be a better idea.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't spend a day in Aruba at an AI. Aruba has very nice beaches.

Baby beach is in San Nicholas, which is about 40 minutes away from the cruise terminal. It has very calm, shallow water where you can walk out pretty far. I have been there twice on an all day island excursion and I felt that it was pretty crowded later in the afternoon.

Palm beach is only about 10 minutes away by car from the cruise terminal. That's the beach on aruba where all the "high rise" hotels are located. I use high rise in quotes because in Aruba that means about 5 stories. There are a lot of amenities as far as food and rentals go, and it's a large stretch of beach that never felt crowded to me in two trips to Aruba. (We stayed at the Hyatt and Holiday Inn). The water is very calm along the entire stretch.

If you really want to avoid the crowds, you could go a little farther to Arashi beach which is about 20 minutes by car from the cruise terminal. There's some moderate surf at Arashi, and also some good snorkeling areas. We did some rock jumping there as well. There are some amenities present (they have showers and chair rentals now) and there is a bar, although I am unsure about food. This is more of a locals beach, but it was nice and I feel a decent choice if you don't want to do what ever other person is doing.

The only other beach I have been to is one of the north shore beaches in Arikok state park. I believe it was Boca Prins, but I'm not 100% sure. In any case, the north shore beaches will be fairly desolate aside from ATV and off road tours and the like passing through. There are no amenities and the surf is VERY rough with strong undertows. I would not really recommend these beaches unless you're into surfing or incredibly strong swimmers. When we stopped here, one of our tour guides had to go rescue some locals who were in really deep **** and couldn't make it back to shore. Those guys were lucky we arrived when we did.

There are a bunch of other beaches as well, but I haven't been to any of them to comment on.

I wouldn't spend a day in Aruba at an AI. Aruba has very nice beaches.

Baby beach is in San Nicholas, which is about 40 minutes away from the cruise terminal. It has very calm, shallow water where you can walk out pretty far. I have been there twice on an all day island excursion and I felt that it was pretty crowded later in the afternoon.

Palm beach is only about 10 minutes away by car from the cruise terminal. That's the beach on aruba where all the "high rise" hotels are located. I use high rise in quotes because in Aruba that means about 5 stories. There are a lot of amenities as far as food and rentals go, and it's a large stretch of beach that never felt crowded to me in two trips to Aruba. (We stayed at the Hyatt and Holiday Inn). The water is very calm along the entire stretch.

If you really want to avoid the crowds, you could go a little farther to Arashi beach which is about 20 minutes by car from the cruise terminal. There's some moderate surf at Arashi, and also some good snorkeling areas. We did some rock jumping there as well. There are some amenities present (they have showers and chair rentals now) and there is a bar, although I am unsure about food. This is more of a locals beach, but it was nice and I feel a decent choice if you don't want to do what ever other person is doing.

The only other beach I have been to is one of the north shore beaches in Arikok state park. I believe it was Boca Prins, but I'm not 100% sure. In any case, the north shore beaches will be fairly desolate aside from ATV and off road tours and the like passing through. There are no amenities and the surf is VERY rough with strong undertows. I would not really recommend these beaches unless you're into surfing or incredibly strong swimmers. When we stopped here, one of our tour guides had to go rescue some locals who were in really deep **** and couldn't make it back to shore. Those guys were lucky we arrived when we did.

There are a bunch of other beaches as well, but I haven't been to any of them to comment on.

Yes, the beaches around and in Arikok park are definitely too rough for swimming. Also, Portuguese Man of War have recently been sighted in that area. They are not on the beaches on the tourist side of the island, so no worries there.