Vancouver to Yokohama

FrankieSue

Greetings. Do you know about the Roll Call feature of Crusie Critic - you can meet fellow travelers on your own specific cruise and share a lot of those specific questions with them. I like using Accuweather to get an idea about upcoming cruise ports.

We were going to do a similar cruise on another ship but just canceled, so I know it is a concern since you are covering quite a temperature range. There are also information boards on CC for various port cities that can offer you help about Tokyo too. So good idea to poke around what this CC forum offers to seek out these additional information forums: Roll Calla and Ports.

Thank you for your suggestions... Unfortunately, so far none of these forums have been much help... The roll call for this particular itinerary seems to focus more on the extended cruise going to Shangai and Singapore... But I will keep poking. Thanks

It will be mostly cool. Maybe windy with rough seas. Of course it could be smooth as silk and warm, but not very likely.

1. Had 25 foot seas, hurricane force winds, a diversion to Unimak Straight (?) to get away from 4 days of that. About the only cruise ever where we had to hang on in the shower. Meals went on, with reduced attendance, but everything else continued as normal, lectures, events, entertainment. It was a great cruise (and onto China). Don't know if your cruise goes to Petropavlosk, but it was a treat and a hassle both.

2. Much smoother, but still cool and windy most of the way. Slightly less northerly route, which may have had something to do with the better seas, but....

Had a wonderful time on both these cruises (Volendam)!! Absolutely a cruise to sail if you like sea days and nothing but ocean to look at.

FrankieSue - I am on that cruise as well. The rollcall, in case you haven't found it yet, is under MS Amsterdam 89 Day Grand Asia. It's pretty slow for now, but will certainly pick up as it gets closer. I haven't done this trip before so can't counsel you on the weather and such, just wanted to point you to the rollcall.

I am on that cruise as well but Los Angeles - Los Angeles. I am not looking forward to the part you booked because I expect rough seas and will stock up on motion sickness medication. On the other hand, I have been on oceans that are notorious for rough weather and it was smooth sailing.

I don't know the ports so sorry, no information other than what I found online. The Japanese harbor of Kushiro has a fish market and a post office near the pier. We plan to get yen there.

What we know from a previous trip: In Japan, our credit cards worked in post offices and in 7 Eleven stores but not in other banks' ATMs. You will find plenty of 7 Eleven stores with ATMs all over Japan.

We are doing Yokohama to Vancouver NEXT MONTH. (Yay!) I am wildly curious as to how rough it will be.

~Robin

We did it last year on the Volendam, there was rough weather in the Gulf of Alaska, so the captain went on the northern side of the Aleutian Islands, which was a bonus (lots of whales).

We had very heavy fog for 2-3 days and they would sound the ships horn every 2.5 minutes for days on end, you actually got used to it.

Have a wonderful trip.

The odds are that you will encounter some rough seas which are typical for that route and that the weather can be very windy and rainy.

If rough seas bother you I would try to book a room that is mid ship and on a lower deck and just come prepared with one or more items to help prevent getting sea sick.

Keith

We did it last year on the Volendam, there was rough weather in the Gulf of Alaska, so the captain went on the northern side of the Aleutian Islands, which was a bonus (lots of whales).

We had very heavy fog for 2-3 days and they would sound the ships horn every 2.5 minutes for days on end, you actually got used to it.

Have a wonderful trip.

WHALES! That would be awesome. I can never see enough whales. We've also been on a ship that had to sound the horn A LOT. It didn't bother us. Thanks for the info.

Robin, please let us know how it was when you return. Have a grest trip. And yes, we will follow advice and brIng sea sickness stuff. Still looking forward to the adventure! Happy sailing!

I plan to do a review when we get back.

I don't get seasick except on small excursion boats, but I think I'm gonna throw some Bonine in the medicine bag just in case.

We had 12-15 foot seas crossing the Tasman on the Volendam, and I never got sick. The show lounge was EMPTY. They canceled the singers/dancers and had the juggler/comedian do a second show instead. Our dining room steward said he'd never been in such rough seas. My husband LOVED it and hopes for a repeat. He's crazy.

~Robin

WHALES! That would be awesome. I can never see enough whales. We've also been on a ship that had to sound the horn A LOT. It didn't bother us. Thanks for the info.

I plan to do a review when we get back.

I don't get seasick except on small excursion boats, but I think I'm gonna throw some Bonine in the medicine bag just in case.

We had 12-15 foot seas crossing the Tasman on the Volendam, and I never got sick. The show lounge was EMPTY. They canceled the singers/dancers and had the juggler/comedian do a second show instead. Our dining room steward said he'd never been in such rough seas. My husband LOVED it and hopes for a repeat. He's crazy.

~Robin

I find the Tasman Sea to have a different motion than the North Pacific. Lots of crew have trouble with that area, but with no other.

Considering what you have written, even with 25 foot waves in the North Pacific you should be OK!

Have a great trip and please do write a review. This crossing is a fav of ours, so would love to read about your take on it.

I find the Tasman Sea to have a different motion than the North Pacific. Lots of crew have trouble with that area, but with no other.

Considering what you have written, even with 25 foot waves in the North Pacific you should be OK!

Have a great trip and please do write a review. This crossing is a fav of ours, so would love to read about your take on it.

That's interesting about the motion being different. It was certainly rocky suddenly. We were on the Voldendam and in the main dining room for dinner, and trays were being dropped all over the place. (No kidding. I'd never seen that on a HAL ship.) The dining room cleared out suddenly, including my inlaws and brother-in-law and his wife. We were left alone at the table. After we finished, we went out and found a free-standing rack in the liquor-shop had tipped over, and there was alcohol everywhere nearby on the floor. :eek::eek::eek::eek: I think the captain had been caught unaware.

It was an adventure!

~Robin

Looks like we should prepare for rough seas... But we don't get seasick, so fingers crossed that we won't get sick.... We just booked and got ourselves a great deal on a signature suite... We are off to a good start... Can't wait for your review Robin.

The one concern that I have is that because we will stop in Juneau and Kodiak so late in the Season, many shops and venues may have closed for the Season already.... On the other hand I once was in Alaska with the last cruise of the Season and there were great bargains to be had... We shall see

The one concern that I have is that because we will stop in Juneau and Kodiak so late in the Season, many shops and venues may have closed for the Season already.... On the other hand I once was in Alaska with the last cruise of the Season and there were great bargains to be had... We shall see

My son was a bus driver for land tours for HAL a couple of summers up there (out of Fairbanks). I went up and drove back with him one year in September. (We camped IN A TENT. A cruise it was not. Heh.) In Skagway, most of the shops were closed already even though there was still a ship in town. I wonder if Juneau and Kodiak will be that same way? I suspect Kodiak might, but I'd think Juneau would still have things open as it is a larger town.

~Robin

A few stray comments. Juneau has a state museum and a community art center which are worth the visit.

I've done Japan to Vancouver twice. Once with the "Ralph" bags out at the elevators and really rough seas and then with much less motion of the ocean. In Kushiro there is a small art museum. We ate lunch at the restaurant on top of the ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel. Local sake and decent food. You don't need a tour there to have a good time.

A few stray comments. Juneau has a state museum and a community art center which are worth the visit.

I've done Japan to Vancouver twice. Once with the "Ralph" bags out at the elevators and really rough seas and then with much less motion of the ocean. In Kushiro there is a small art museum. We ate lunch at the restaurant on top of the ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel. Local sake and decent food. You don't need a tour there to have a good time.

We've been to the museum in Juneau. We liked it a lot!

Also, thanks for the tip about Kushiro. We are going to do it on our own, and I read that there is a trolley system. I will look at that restaurant too. Thanks!

~Robin