70's rock and romance cruise on Summit

George C

We were on this cruise last week. This is a chartered cruise by StarVista they have 6 types of cruises, week before ours was 60's flower power, they also have country, oldies , disco and soul cruises. This costs more that most cruises but we thought it was worth the money. One of the main things we like about cruises is all the live music and this certainly had that. Michael McDonald, STXT, Air Supply, America , BJ Thomas , Poco , Guess Who and others. Lots of great cover bands were also there groups like War played at the pool. What we also found very interesting was the interviews , all the major artist had a interview that you could attend followed by a autograph session, I had some old albums signed, some people had there guitars signed. Interviews were extremely interesting telling how groups were formed stories about being produced by George Harrison or performing at concert for Bangladesh. These charters are very popular and many book it every year, we wanted to book flower power for 2019 and all the suites were sold out even though they just went on sale previous week. We did book sky suite for 2019 , this was 5 day cruise , I believe all the others were 7 days. Had not sailed on Summit before and liked ship and really liked the suite perks of private dinning room and suite lounge which had free drinks all day. These cruises are non cancelable so we booked insurance just in case.

Was impressed by buffet for lunch so much better than RCCL, we had sky suite which had great perks but a very small suite approx. 250 sq ft

Thanks for your review! I’d been wondering about this one ever since vtcruising posted her wonderful Flower Power 60s review. Great job covering all the essentials in your review:)

It seems there’s a bit of overlap between the two cruises, which makes sense because some musicians were active in both decades. I like musicians from both cruises, so I’d have a tough decision lol. Would you guess most passengers were in their teens in the 70s, or was there a broad age range?

Forgot to ask how Michael McDonald’s show was. I saw him many times when was with the Doobie Brothers, but that was long ago.

Vtcrusing review was great, gave me lots of great info, I like the sound of the flower power it is also 7 days which I prefer, wife loves the 70 music. Age range was mixed , liked that it was adults only , only band that was on both cruises was guess who, many of the cover bands were on both cruises

Great. Thanks. By overlap, I meant people like George Harrison, who was active in both decades (though I always associate him with the 60s) but appeared only on the 70s cruise. One person on these boards was booked for both cruises. That would be sweet:)

DH and I were talking about these cruises last night, and imagining our dream band roster. Too bad some of them are long gone, though both you and vtcruiser report that the cover bands did a great job.

We were on this same cruise and totally agree, the concerts, interviews, Q&A's, etc. were fantastic! Unfortunately, we were less than impressed with Celebrity all around. The majority of the crew members we encountered seemed less than enthusiastic about being there. We were able to get smiles and conversation from a handful of them, while the rest seemed over extended. Since we were in concierge class and did not have private dining, we chose to try the specialty dining areas. Again, we were underwhelmed by the food both in Qsine and Tuscan. The buffet was okay and the dining room was nothing special. We were on the Rock Legends Cruise last year on RCCL (I think it was Independence) and the crew seemed much happier and the food was better all around. This was our first experience with Celebrity and I must admit, we are in no hurry to book again. We will stick with RCCL and Oceania for future cruises. We did enjoy ourselves and the music and artists who performed... they were all gracious and very talented. Looking forward to seeing The Guess Who in May at EPCOT!

We love suite perks on all the lines, the service in suite restaurant was really great , menu was limited but you could order from mdr also and get served in suite restaurant, what we did was check menus daily if we did not like suite restaurant we booked specialty . Also had a chance to talk to and get picture taken with one of America leads in suite lounge michaels, which had free drinks all day till midnight, was hoping one of the many musicians would play the baby grand in suite lounge but that did not happen, maybe next year.

So glad you enjoyed your cruise, George! I was thinking about you last week. It sounds like a similar format as the FPC, but we had 7 days (first time it was 7 days this year).

People can book next year's FPC onboard and have first dibs on their current cabin until day 5 and then anyone onboard can book any cabin. Unfortunately we didn't decide to rebook until day 7 and all suites were gone. We booked AQ again and are happy since we made new friends in Blu onboard who are also AQ next year so it will be fine. I checked today and there are very few AQ left and it looked like about only 50 cabins left on the whole ship, so it may be sold out soon. We are so looking forward to doing it again!

Did you have a celebrity host for the cruise? Who was your favorite performer?

Maybe you can provide that list to Royal Caribbean (well, maybe you can leave off Air Supply...) to remind them that there was actual MUSIC in the '70's and not just the five letter begins with "d" ends with "o" crap they continue to use for their '70's parties...

A constant "discussion" point with the DW. As a teenage male in the '70's, I can't abide by a decade that produced "Dark Side of the Moon", "Hotel California", and, of course, "Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ", "The Wild, the Innocent, and the E-Street Shuffle", "Born to Run", and "Darkness on the Edge of Town", being remembered for the two year abomination represented by "Disco Inferno"...

It does sound like an interesting cruise.

Just saw the great 2019 lineup for the Rock and Romance:

Foreigner

Boz Scaggs Special Appearance 3/27

Little River Band

THE ORCHESTRA Starring Former Members Of ELO

Orleans

Leo Sayer

Gino Vannelli

Firefall

Exile

and more to come!

I can see why you booked. Very tempting!

Maybe you can provide that list to Royal Caribbean (well, maybe you can leave off Air Supply...) to remind them that there was actual MUSIC in the '70's and not just the five letter begins with "d" ends with "o" crap they continue to use for their '70's parties...

A constant "discussion" point with the DW. As a teenage male in the '70's, I can't abide by a decade that produced "Dark Side of the Moon", "Hotel California", and, of course, "Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ", "The Wild, the Innocent, and the E-Street Shuffle", "Born to Run", and "Darkness on the Edge of Town", being remembered for the two year abomination represented by "Disco Inferno"...

It does sound like an interesting cruise.

Gross. No RC for me if that’s all they play at 70s parties. This female agrees with you!

We were on the 70's Rock n Romance last week also with a group of 8. Loved the music and all the activities. First time on the Summit but not the first time on Celebrity. We were a bit disappointed in the service and the ship is looking a bit worn. We ate in the MDR and had good meals, Q-Sine one night where service was good but not sure it was worth the upcharge. Buffet at lunch had the same offerings all 5 days. Buffets are not our favorite place to eat but it was ok. We booked the Flower Power cruise for 2019. Our group liked the Flower Power lineup better. Not many rooms left, only OV and AQ left. Looking forward to another fun cruise.

So glad you enjoyed your cruise, George! I was thinking about you last week. It sounds like a similar format as the FPC, but we had 7 days (first time it was 7 days this year).

People can book next year's FPC onboard and have first dibs on their current cabin until day 5 and then anyone onboard can book any cabin. Unfortunately we didn't decide to rebook until day 7 and all suites were gone. We booked AQ again and are happy since we made new friends in Blu onboard who are also AQ next year so it will be fine. I checked today and there are very few AQ left and it looked like about only 50 cabins left on the whole ship, so it may be sold out soon. We are so looking forward to doing it again!

Did you have a celebrity host for the cruise? Who was your favorite performer?

We loved so many of the acts Micheal McDonald was amazing, his interview with his wife was very entertaining , America was the main reason we booked cruise and the fact we got to talk to one of them and had picture taken with him in suite lounge was icing on the the cake. Really disappointed that flower power for. 2019 had no suites available we are totally spoiled with suites and really do not want to book any other way. Many on ourcruise rebooked 70’s and also booked flower power.

We loved so many of the acts Micheal McDonald was amazing, his interview with his wife was very entertaining , America was the main reason we booked cruise and the fact we got to talk to one of them and had picture taken with him in suite lounge was icing on the the cake. Really disappointed that flower power for. 2019 had no suites available we are totally spoiled with suites and really do not want to book any other way. Many on ourcruise rebooked 70’s and also booked flower power.

Sounds like a good time!

The FPC does have a waiting list - you can be placed on it and they will regularly send a list of available cabins/suites. I was on it last year and there were few cancellations, but you never know. :D

we are on waiting list for a larger suite, another thing we liked and I am sure yours was the same is TV showed some great 70's TV like laugh in and movies like Godfather and Blazing saddles and animal house, there is a 4 day cruise before our cruise next year and may book it today