best use of time in Rome

sueajp

We arrive in Rome on the day before our cruise around 10:00 AM. I have been looking at Rome Cabs VIP transfer and tour from the airport and then their transfer to the ship the next day. Has anyone done the VIP tour? Its a one or two hour visit around Rome to see the major sights. We could then go check into our hotel and begin wandering on our own for longer visits to the Parthenon and Piazza Navona near our hotel. Trying to see the most we can without killing ourselves walking before the cruise even starts! LOL thanks!:D

We arrive in Rome on the day before our cruise around 10:00 AM. I have been looking at Rome Cabs VIP transfer and tour from the airport and then their transfer to the ship the next day. Has anyone done the VIP tour? Its a one or two hour visit around Rome to see the major sights. We could then go check into our hotel and begin wandering on our own for longer visits to the Parthenon and Piazza Navona near our hotel. Trying to see the most we can without killing ourselves walking before the cruise even starts! LOL thanks!:D

If this is your first time in Rome, 'killing yourself' may not be a bad idea, if you know what I mean. so much to see, so little time to do it in. Take advantage of the time you have and relax on the ship.

Cheers

Len

Yes it is our first trip. We flew out of Rome on a previous Med cruise but went right from the port to the airport...determined this time! We have mobility issues and need to pace ourselves!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A lot would depend on whether or not you're taking a redeye flight into Rome and whether or not you'd get any sleep on the plane. Me, I cannot appreciate a tour from a car just after having been on a redeye. I'm just too tired and fuzzy-headed to process anything. I do much better after a quick nap at the hotel (an hour or so) followed by a walk in the fresh air and sunlight.

Some type of tour would be good.

If you do have a long flight I do like to get out as soon as I can and walk around and get daylight but if the tour is for an hour or two that would work.

With limited time some type of private tours by vehicle that allows for a few stops would be good.

Keith

Don't waste your time on Rome's ho-ho's.

I usually rate ho-ho's as excellent for an oversight of a city, but there are exceptions.

Rome is one of those exceptions (Florence is another).

An evening bus tour would work well.

Inexpensive, good for an overview if you follow your route on the map, no traffic congestion, and a "different" take on the city. Seeing the Trevi involves a walk (5 mins?) because of the narrow streets, but you could stay on the bus.

JB :)

How much walking can you do? And what are the main things on your wish list to see -- for example, do you want to actually see the Vatican museums and Sistine chapel (which will involve about 2 hours on your feet) or just see the exterior of St. Peters? There's a big difference, clearly, so it's hard to recommend without knowing more.

There are a number of options for seeing Rome, but I wouldn't recommend the HOHOs particularly -- you often cannot see the actual site without getting off the bus and then getting back on.

Some have recommended doing a golf cart tour if you have limited mobility -- I think a couple of companies offer them. But they aren't inexpensive and from some reviews it's clear that the golf carts are competing with the rest of the traffic in Rome which may or may not bother you.