New policy for door decorations?

MaiTaiMary

I thought it'd be fun to put a small dry-erase board on the door and see if others would leave a message. But I've heard quite a few stories around here about door decorations being stolen. Has anyone had any experience with a dry-erase board?

On a previous cruise, someone a few doors away from us had put a small dry erase board on their door on Embarkation Day. Every time we walked by that day, I saw a lot of profanity written on there. The next day, the dry erase board had been taken down and was never put back up. So yes, you'll get messages, but not any you'd want to see. I strongly suggest that you don't do it.

On a previous cruise, someone a few doors away from us had put a small dry erase board on their door on Embarkation Day. Every time we walked by that day, I saw a lot of profanity written on there. The next day, the dry erase board had been taken down and was never put back up. So yes, you'll get messages, but not any you'd want to see. I strongly suggest that you don't do it.
When I told my wife about the idea the other day, the first thing she said was, "There's going to be a bunch of penises on it." :')
  • Haha 1

I use a banner we bought from Shindigz and nothing has ever been said to us. It is flame retardant and I have a copy of the proof of that with me, but have never been asked for it nor has anyone ever said anything.

I called Shindigz and they told me none of their banners are flame retardant. I found one I really liked too. I may just risk it and buy it.

That's odd they told you that since they clearly state it is on their website along with the testing certifications.

https://www.shindigz.com/flame-retardant-information

Thanks for the link, I looked on their website and didn't see anything on flame retardant mentioned, that's why I called them. The guy answered me quickly without doubt too. I'll order a banner from them. Thanks!:D

Thanks for the link, I looked on their website and didn't see anything on flame retardant mentioned, that's why I called them. The guy answered me quickly without doubt too. I'll order a banner from them. Thanks!:D

They're very good quality also. I just ordered a second one for our July cruise since it's our anniversary. Our normal one has all of our names on it, where we're from, etc. I ordered a different one with just stuff for my wife and I. The pictures are very clear, and of course the quality is great.

They're very good quality also. I just ordered a second one for our July cruise since it's our anniversary. Our normal one has all of our names on it, where we're from, etc. I ordered a different one with just stuff for my wife and I. The pictures are very clear, and of course the quality is great.

Awesome! Congratulations! this one if for our 20th anniversary. I'm surprising my husband with an upgraded balcony from our porthole and am having Carnival do the anniversary decorations inside. I called the fun shops today and they said they don't decorate the door. My plan is to pack the banner in my purse and sneak down to the 8th floor from Lido and put it on the door before our rooms are ready to surprise my husband! What size was yours? and did you use command hooks to hang it? I'm thinking of buying the 54*18 so it's easier for the flight and hiding it.

Awesome! Congratulations! this one if for our 20th anniversary. I'm surprising my husband with an upgraded balcony from our porthole and am having Carnival do the anniversary decorations inside. I called the fun shops today and they said they don't decorate the door. My plan is to pack the banner in my purse and sneak down to the 8th floor from Lido and put it on the door before our rooms are ready to surprise my husband! What size was yours? and did you use command hooks to hang it? I'm thinking of buying the 54*18 so it's easier for the flight and hiding it.

I want to say mine is 54x18 also? I'm not sure. I will say it won't fit in your purse. It's a pretty solid sign. We roll ours up and stick it in the suitcase. We use Command Strips and put them on the inside. Then run the string over/under the door to the sign. That way nobody can steal it.

We first booked an OV which we normally do but for our anniversary we went ahead and got a suite. (Went ahead and upgraded to a balcony for our other sailings as well)

Happy anniversary!

We had door decorations on NCL Epic over Christmas and New year's b2b cruise and had no issues with anyone bothering them. [ATTACH]417965[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I'm guessing that NCL's rules regarding door decorations are slightly different from Carnival's rules. On Carnival, you are NOT allowed to put lights on your door, or anywhere on the outside of your cabin, or on your balcony.

I want to say mine is 54x18 also? I'm not sure. I will say it won't fit in your purse. It's a pretty solid sign. We roll ours up and stick it in the suitcase. We use Command Strips and put them on the inside. Then run the string over/under the door to the sign. That way nobody can steal it.

We first booked an OV which we normally do but for our anniversary we went ahead and got a suite. (Went ahead and upgraded to a balcony for our other sailings as well)

Happy anniversary!

Thanks! Well I will see what I can try to do to sneak it away from my husband. Maybe my room Steward will help me with a tip to hang it. I'm a little on the short side anyway, lol. If not the room decorations and balcony will be a big enough surprise. Thanks for the advice!

• 1 year later...

I used wrapping paper and cut up gift bags to celebrate my Mom's Christmas birthday.  I saw another door with a similar decoration.  I used a combination of the blue puddy and Scotch tape.  The puddy left some residue that I had to rub off.

The room stewards gave me compliments.

IMG_20191223_161605.jpg

IMG_20191225_022044.jpg

• Like 1