Photos From Greenland

Our hike covered Tele Island. It got its name because there were telecommunication cables running through the island providing all forms of telecommunication including television and telephone. Even though it was an ancient site they still chose the island for its telecommunications.

This was a three hour hike and vast majority of the hike was over uneven stones and from time to time some muddy areas and involved walking up some steep areas. Everyone was troopers and there were times we helped out one another.

We learned about the people who inhabited this area many years ago.

The original inhabitants walked over the ice from Canada to Greenland. We saw a cemetery that dates back 4,000 years to the Inuit people of the Saqqaq culture. The area has also been inhabited by the Dorset cutler and then the Thule people.

We saw two different villages. There was one that was the older of the two. They actually cooked the meat indoors and because of the soot they didn’t wear clothes indoors. The second village had an area where they cooked outside rather than inside.

After hiking up to the one of the highest points of the island we saw an area off the water where they would process the whales. There were two major benefits from the whales; oil and food. The area helped preserve the whale meat as it was cool day and night.

We also saw two structures that were used as food storage facilities.

Great pictures!

I am glad you liked the photos.

When in 2016 did you take this trip and was it an Iceland/Greenland cruise? Or just Greenland?

That trip included the Northwest Passage.

We started in Vancouver and ended in New York City.

Keith

That trip included the Northwest Passage.

We started in Vancouver and ended in New York City.

Keith

Nice. That's next on our list, since we did Antarctica this year.

What ship was that? How long was the trip? The ones I'm seeing are 3-4 weeks which we can't do until retirement

Nice. That's next on our list, since we did Antarctica this year.

What ship was that? How long was the trip? The ones I'm seeing are 3-4 weeks which we can't do until retirement

This was on Crystal Serenity which did this in 2016 and 2017.

They are coming out with a new explorer type of ship in a few year and hoping they will off it on that one.

We started in Seward (I might have mistakenly said Vancouver) and I believe it was 32 days.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. 32 days really has to wait for retirement or the lottery! We looked (briefly) at Montreal to Seward but NY would be much easier and more interesting going up past Newfoundland and Labrador.

Antarctica was incredible. And can be done in 2 weeks. Have you done it yet?

Thanks, Keith. 32 days really has to wait for retirement or the lottery! We looked (briefly) at Montreal to Seward but NY would be much easier and more interesting going up past Newfoundland and Labrador.

Antarctica was incredible. And can be done in 2 weeks. Have you done it yet?

Nitemare, you are very welcome.

One time we sailed off Antarctica on a South America cruise but sometime I hope we can go on some type of expedition ship so we could do a landing there.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Keith

Thank you so much for posting these wonderful photos. Kathy and I will be cruising Greenland’s West

Coast and Disko Bay on Poseidon’s Sea Spirit June 6. We fly from Reykjavik to Kangerlussuq and cruise the West Coast back to Reykjavik. It is a bucket list cruise. Your photos really provided great background. We are doing as much reading as we can.

We also did Antarctica on Hurtigruten’s Midnatsol last year and it was fantastic and we highly recommend them as an expedition ship. Even the hurricane on the Drake Passage coming home was an adventure.

Appreciate your expertise as always.

Keith

Thank you so much for posting these wonderful photos. Kathy and I will be cruising Greenland’s West

Coast and Disko Bay on Poseidon’s Sea Spirit June 6. We fly from Reykjavik to Kangerlussuq and cruise the West Coast back to Reykjavik. It is a bucket list cruise. Your photos really provided great background. We are doing as much reading as we can.

We also did Antarctica on Hurtigruten’s Midnatsol last year and it was fantastic and we highly recommend them as an expedition ship. Even the hurricane on the Drake Passage coming home was an adventure.

Appreciate your expertise as always.

You are very welcome.

Wishing you both a wonderful cruise in July.

I will be sure to check out Hurtigruten’s Midnatsol. Best to you both.

Keith

Thank you so much. Do check out the Midnatsol. We had the Owner’s Suite which had a balcony across half the stern of the ship and walls of windows and sliding doors. It included, free wifi, all drinks, full minbar with snacks, tips, served breakfast in a separate dining room, butler and gifts of a robe and slippers. So it was basically all inclusive. Fabulous food and service and amazing zodiac landings. An excellent value.

Will post a review of Sea Spirit in Greenland when we return.

• 4 months later...
p1110376_orig.jpg

When we lived in the Alaskan Arctic, they built a hotel out of prefab chunks that looked very similar to those blue conexes with windows. When it came together, it looked pretty good. But all of the other newer construction lacked any character--very middle American, do it as cheaply as possible with muted colors or no color at all. Thanks again for posting these photos.

p1110361_orig.jpg

This picture is really intriguing to me because the outfits are a mix of Inuit and Scandinavian (as would be expected). We had some student teachers from Denmark two years ago and for dress occasions they wore hand-knit sweaters with the fancy patterns around the neck. In Alaska, the traditional dress is more commonly mixed with American settler styles with a lot of calico prints. Sometimes at festivals there would be visitors from the Canadian Arctic or Greenland and it was enjoyable to see the spectrum of their regalia.