Holland America vs. Royal Caribbean

Seahawkie

I've cruised a few times on Royal Caribbean but have never been on Holland America cruise line. From your experiences with both cruise lines, which one would you prefer? We'll be travelling with 3 kids (pre-teen and teens). Any input would help me decide which one to book. Thank you!!

I sailed HAL with my son when he was 15 or so. There wasn't a whole lot for him to do--he did find a group of friends and played video games in some sort of teen lounge. At one time I saw him with a platter full of cheeseburgers piled high headed there. It looked pretty comical since he had a hollow leg at the time, but he swears they weren't all for him. But mostly, he felt like Royal Caribbean would have been more fun (just more young activities, like the rock wall). We have not actually ever been on Royal Caribbean, but just from what I know of them, they seem more kid friendly.

There will be a major difference between the two lines.

To me RCI is more oriented to the young with lots of activities for them particularly on the last several types of ships. That is not the case wit Holland America.

I would read up about what is offered on the Holland America ship so you can see the difference.

Keith

They are different in the overall atmosphere. Royal Caribbean is more fun with lots of activities onboard. They want to WOW you every single minute with the latest technology (super fast wifi), coolest shipboard experience. Holland America is the complete opposite from an onboard experience perspective. Very laid back, traditional ... almost feel like they want to unWOW you, but at the same time everything is a bit more refined, more subtle, more relaxed. Their strength is their itinerary.

Yet they are similar in a sense that both have good food good service and I like the value I get from both of them.

My DW and I will be doing Veendam in a couple of weeks and then with our teenage kids the Oasis of the Seas in the summer.

Edit: my kids have have HAL twice and they enjoyed both of them. While they won't hesitate to do another cruise on HAL again, but they admit that if they could have a choice, they'll much prefer a ship with more activities onboard ... for a typical 7 days Caribbean itinerary (note: HAL 7 day Eastern Caribbean itinerary still have 4 ports including Half Moon Cay, whereas most other mass market line now only have 3 port days)

However if you doing something that's more itinerary-focused such as Alaska or Europe, then whichever is fine IMO.

Edited by Friend100

I would definitely choose Royal Caribbean. I would also choose a Voyageur class or larger ship for activities to suit all age groups.

My neighbors cruised HA and they have cruised most major lines. They are not young (mid sixties) and not big drinkers or party people, but said they were very disappointed in the entertainment and nothing to do at night. Said everyone was in bed around 9 or 9:30 and also so many scooters and truly "old" people. Nothing against getting old, I am getting there myself, but some older cruisers still enjoy bars/music, etc.

Agree with the consensus that HAL tends to an "older" crowd. I've never been personally, but my sister, mom, and grandma did a cruise on HAL. My sister was in her 30s, mom in mid 50s, and grandma almost 80. According to my mom and sister it felt like they were the two youngest on board by a wide margin. They ended up making friends with the workers and spent most of their free time hanging out with the crew.

Thank you ALL for your input and feedback. I will go with the consensus and go with RC then. I like the itenerary offered by HAL, but the one offered by RC isn't too bad either. We will go anywhere just to get away from Seattle weather in November/December. :)

Agree with the consensus that HAL tends to an "older" crowd. I've never been personally, but my sister, mom, and grandma did a cruise on HAL. My sister was in her 30s, mom in mid 50s, and grandma almost 80. According to my mom and sister it felt like they were the two youngest on board by a wide margin. They ended up making friends with the workers and spent most of their free time hanging out with the crew.

Agreed! Ventured into a HAL disco around 11:00 PM and the only people present were a couple of passenger's, and a group of off-duty staff....

We've done about 35 cruises, mostly on Princess and Celebrity, but have cruised most other major lines.

Only one cruise on Holland America, and even though we were 70 at the time it was not for us. We felt young! on board and there wasn't much going on. It wold take a great deal/itinerary to get us back.

Although I am of the opinion that kids should be able to find fun on any cruise--come on, they are getting a great vacation--they will be much more for them to do on almost any other line.