T-Mobile Coverage

Wow, that's crazy. The three carriers I've been with in Canada don't charge for anything incoming, unless you answer the phone of course. Otherwise they'd be wasting a lot of time and resources refunding scam calls and spam texts.

Wow, that's crazy. The three carriers I've been with in Canada don't charge for anything incoming, unless you answer the phone of course. Otherwise they'd be wasting a lot of time and resources refunding scam calls and spam texts.

That's the case for us too on AT&T if we are in our home area. However, once on the ship's Cellular at Sea service, incoming calls that reach the phone are charged, whether they are answered, ignored, or go to voicemail.

Marie and I are recent transfers from Verizon to T-Mobile. We had T-Mobile's service on our recent 4 day Explorer cruise and I did not put Marie's phone in airplane mode. When we got our latest bill there were three charges totaling $23.96 (4 minutes at $5.99 per minute) that were all just voicemails as we never answered her phone. I called and had them remove the charges but rather than going through that hassle we will place hers in airplane mode in the future for at sea days. My phone I will just shut of data so I can stay connected to wifi.

What I found interesting is they list the charges as AT&T Maritime

I have T-Mobile and while sailing I keep my phone in airplane mode. At ports I turn it back to normal mode. One thing to note for those of you that have not used T-Mobile outside the US is that the speed can be slow. Super nice to have free connectivity so I am not complaining - just be prepared.

You can sign up for T-Mobile One Plus for $10/month and get 3G vs 2G speed in port if you need faster speed. Texting and checking email will be fine with 2G. By the way I have never had a signal in Labadee.

Another consideration of not putting your phone in airplane mode and just turning off your data roaming so you might get a text is that your phone will continually be searching for the T-Mobile network, so you could be charging your phone a couple of times a day.

At sea they do charge and DO NOT refund SPAM calls/Texts or wrong numbers.

So if you have airplane mode on and WiFi on, you do not get charged for any incoming calls or voicemails. This is correct.

But if you do not have airplane mode on, even when you have cellular off, you still can get charged. Not exactly sure what you mean by "cellular off". If you mean cellular data off, then you can still get charged for incoming calls.

Is that correct?

See comments in RED above.

See comments in RED above.

Thank you, Bob. Yes that was what I meant.

I plan to buy the unlimited internet package and I want to use WiFi calling on the ship but I do not want to be charged for incoming calls that I do not pick up. Is there a way to do that? If so what should I do?

Not sure if it’s relevant but I have AT&T (sorry I know this thread is supposed to be about t mobile) and iPhone.

Thank you, Bob. Yes that was what I meant.

I plan to buy the unlimited internet package and I want to use WiFi calling on the ship but I do not want to be charged for incoming calls that I do not pick up. Is there a way to do that? If so what should I do?

Not sure if it’s relevant but I have AT&T (sorry I know this thread is supposed to be about t mobile) and iPhone.

If your phone is in Airplane Mode, and you are using WiFi calling, you won't be charged for incoming calls, even if you answer them.

So if you have airplane mode on and WiFi on, you do not get charged for any incoming calls or voicemails.

But if you do not have airplane mode on, even when you have cellular off, you still can get charged.

Is that correct?

Turning on airplane mode is the only way to turn off cellular (calling).

If your phone is in Airplane Mode, and you are using WiFi calling, you won't be charged for incoming calls, even if you answer them.

Thank you.

Turning on airplane mode is the only way to turn off cellular (calling).

Yes I see what you mean now. I was confusing cellular calls and text with cellular data.

I spoke to a rep about using T-Mobile on our upcoming cruise, he suggested airplane mode on sea days, he said if you turn on phone then any voicemail including sales calls will be charged $5.99 per call. I’m mostly investigating best way to keep in touch with my kids back at home, seems like a text or two on sea days is what we will do, all ports are included in our plan so that’s good news.

If you porchase wifi plan, before you leave, turn on WiFi calling and set it up.

Then, on sea days, Airplane Mode ON, Wifi ON, log in, and you can call and text for no charge.

In port, Airplane Mode OFF, and enjoy.