Do Men Need Jacket & Tie in MDR on Formal Nights?

It is RCLs idea to make it suggested attire, not required. Calling it a formal night is simply a holdover term from the “old days”. No more captains party where you shake hands with the officers, etc. not much feels special or different about those nights.

When specialty dining came around is about the time this really seemed to change. If I recall it used to be recommended that men wear at least a blazer to chops when it first came out so every night a smaller group was “dressed up”. Now all week certain people are dressed up on certain nights if doing a special dinner at 150 CP, wonderland, chefs table, etc.

You do realize you’re being entirely subjective, right? It may not feel different for you, but it does for me. Just because formal night has no meaning in your mind, doesn’t mean the same is true for other people. Everything is about your own perspective. Sure other people may not dress up, and that’s fine, I couldn’t care less what other people choose to do. However, for me and my family, it is still a special, and formal experience where we go all out, and enjoy and feel great doing so. Guess it’s all about your own intention and mindset. But please don’t tell other people that formal night is meaningless and nothing, because again, that’s your own opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Due respect, I don’t know who or what is stopping you from wearing a tux or gown? Why charge you if you want to wear a tux/gown?

Perhaps you should reread my comments I was advocating having a formal affair not merely dressing formally.

Perhaps you should reread my comments I was advocating having a formal affair not merely dressing formally.

Whatever “formal dress and/or experience” you want to have, go for it. Not sure what you want the cruise line to do. But again, no one is stopping you from planning your own formal night. Dress and act however you want. No one will stop you.

So, I consider Carnival to be the Walmart of cruise lines. Is RCL now the Target of cruise lines? No one cares what one wears? Just sad that people cannot even dress for dinner

Was on a Princess cruise in February, formal night wear was a shirt with buttons and long pants with no holes.

You do realize you’re being entirely subjective, right? It may not feel different for you, but it does for me. Just because formal night has no meaning in your mind, doesn’t mean the same is true for other people. Everything is about your own perspective. Sure other people may not dress up, and that’s fine, I couldn’t care less what other people choose to do. However, for me and my family, it is still a special, and formal experience where we go all out, and enjoy and feel great doing so. Guess it’s all about your own intention and mindset. But please don’t tell other people that formal night is meaningless and nothing, because again, that’s your own opinion.

Formal night used to be an event. They cut out all the special touches so they can save money. It’s certainly not the same as it was

Well, some people enjoy getting dressed up and taking beautiful, professional photos with their family.

In my office credenza I have five family cruise portraits, MSC, Carnival, NCL, Royal, and Princess. Not dressed formal in any of them. your money, your choice!

In my office credenza I have five family cruise portraits, MSC, Carnival, NCL, Royal, and Princess. Not dressed formal in any of them. your money, your choice!

Um... good for you? Not really sure what the point of your comment was. I was explaining MY feelings about formal night, not yours. Did I say anywhere in my post that you needed to get dressed up on formal night? No. I said MY family does because we enjoy it. I also pointed out the fact that EVERYONE has their own perspective and standards, that’s all.

Um... good for you? Not really sure what the point of your comment was. I was explaining MY feelings about formal night, not yours. Did I say anywhere in my post that you needed to get dressed up on formal night? No. I said MY family does because we enjoy it. I also pointed out the fact that EVERYONE has their own perspective and standards, that’s all.

You insinuated that anyone that didn't dress up wasn't having a special evening. No need to be so nasty. Get over yourself lady

You insinuated that anyone that didn't dress up wasn't having a special evening. No need to be so nasty. Get over yourself lady

Oh wow! The crazy thoughts people will formulate in their heads when they get offended. No where did I say or insinuate what you think I did.. that is literally your own internal feelings being projected. I very very clearly state that each and every human being has their own little brains and perspective, and what one may enjoy another may not. If that’s nasty to you, than the real world is going to a tough place for you.

Oh wow! The crazy thoughts people will formulate in their heads when they get offended. No where did I say or insinuate what you think I did.. that is literally your own internal feelings being projected. I very very clearly state that each and every human being has their own little brains and perspective, and what one may enjoy another may not. If that’s nasty to you, than the real world is going to a tough place for you.

Yes, you clearly are not an offensive individual at all. I must have misread

Enjoy your Easter.

well said 100% correct

Do men need to wear a jacket and tie into the MDR on formal night? No. If not, would dress pants and a long-sleeve button polo shirt or dress shirt without tie suffice? Yes
As many have said, as it is a 'suggested' dress code, wear what you are comfortable and happy with.

For our upcoming Oasis sailing we are bringing the tuxes all the way from the U.K. complete with alternative jackets for the tuxes and blazers. Despite limited baggage allowances we will have enough t shirts, shorts, casual shirts and pants for our pre and post cruise stays in Florida, and for the non formal nights on the ship too and for changing into after dinner on the formal evenings. We have a 60lbs checked baggage allowance and only a 15lbs carry on limit, but we'll manage fine.

We will not be eating in the MDR as we have the Ultimate dining package and the experience on Allure in the MDR was the only thing we did not enjoy on that class of ship.

We are just off the Allure of the Seas.

First, there are NO requirements. There are "suggested" dress for men and women.

On Formal Nights on the Allure, you saw everything from Shorts and T-Shirts to Tuxes in the MDR. You can dress anywhere between the two and be perfectly fine.

BTW: There are fewer and fewer and fewer tuxes.

The fact that people are permitted to wear shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on formal nights is ridiculous

Sent from my iPad using Forums