Air Plus - How far in advance can I book

CDNPolar

We have used Viking Air Plus twice now and had good result in flights. We actually researched the flights we wanted and called and both times got the flights we wanted.

My question is - how far in advance can you call Viking Air Plus? Is it 310 days before departure? A different number of days?

We have used Viking Air Plus twice now and had good result in flights. We actually researched the flights we wanted and called and both times got the flights we wanted.

My question is - how far in advance can you call Viking Air Plus? Is it 310 days before departure? A different number of days?

We booked our flights with Viking Air plus earlier this month for a cruise 9 months out in December 2018. Paid an extra $50 pp for early booking but even received seat assignments and confirmations.

It was difficult booking times that we requested but they came through. The difficulty was getting good connecting flights out of Pensacola, Fl. to Rome and back from Barcelona.

We even upgraded our seats through Viking for half of what we spent last year booking on our own.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

We booked our flights with Viking Air plus earlier this month for a cruise 9 months out in December 2018. Paid an extra $50 pp for early booking but even received seat assignments and confirmations.

It was difficult booking times that we requested but they came through. The difficulty was getting good connecting flights out of Pensacola, Fl. to Rome and back from Barcelona.

We even upgraded our seats through Viking for half of what we spent last year booking on our own.

Gulfgreek, sounds like we may be on a similar cruise next year, Iconic Mediterranean. We signed up for the Air Plus as well. Glad it wasn't too difficult an experience. What Airlines were offered to you? We will be flying out of Denver and I know we will need connecting flights. Thanks!

Gulfgreek, sounds like we may be on a similar cruise next year, Iconic Mediterranean. We signed up for the Air Plus as well. Glad it wasn't too difficult an experience. What Airlines were offered to you? We will be flying out of Denver and I know we will need connecting flights. Thanks!
We're on the Southern Mediterranean Discovery cruise December 16. Flights are British Airways from Pensacola to Miami to London then Rome and American Airlines from Barcelona to Miami then to Pensacola. Both ways have connecting flights. We're spending several days in Barcelona after the cruise is completed and Viking air made all the arrangements and did a great job.

Did you pay a deviation fee for your air tickets since you are staying a few days after the cruise?
Hello. This is gulfgreek updating deviation fees.

Yes, I find we were charged $100 pp. extra for our later flight from Barcelona to USA due to our staying over 3 extra days after our cruise ended.

Sorry for the incorrect answer.

It isn't a question of when Viking will let you book but rather a question of when the airlines have opened your departure dates for booking.

Last year, I booked too early and the flights really wanted weren't yet available for booking; I thought that the airline had given up the route only to learn that if I had been patient, I could have had the exact flights I wanted. I ended up with longer flight plans because I was impatient. However, I did end up booking on my own instead of Viking because I did not like the flight plans they were offering and because it was cheaper than what Viking was offering.

• 3 years later...

I am very disappointed with Viking for this trip.  Made reservations 7 months ago to celebrate our 55th Anniversary,  Paid for custom air and even for the upgrade in seating on United.  United cancelled the flight two months  so Viking moved us to Delta.  Delta has changed the flight times  but we can live with that.  They were to book our ticket with Delta and Swiss International Air on Friday but they did I nor my travel agent can upgrade our class of seats for more leg room.   I've been checking available seats and each time I do, more and more of that class are now unavailable/occupied.  Grrr.   Delta will not allow us to upgrade and pay for it before the tickets are issued.   And I am still waiting for the refund of my money from United.  

I am not looking forward to 8 to 10 hrs. in main cabin's 'sardine can'. 

VIKING.....   You have disappointed me this time.  Our other trips have been much better handled.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 5:29 AM, CDNPolar said:

The key is waiting until all of the airlines you are looking at have actually opened flights for booking but there is no industry norm. The number that is thrown around is 300 prior to your return (not your departure) but not all airlines use that number and some are even later than that.

While Viking may take your call at 310 days out, they might not have all the flight information need. I usually aim for around 275 days.

I booked our river cruise flight last month, but cannot ticket yet.  Today I got e-mail from Viking stating will ticket only 60 days out, and also the air department is working overtime and try not to call them right now.  Glad I called in June (air plus).

For the time being, Viking Air Plus is a waste and an abomination.  Not entirely their fault (since the airlines hold all the cards) - but beware, until things get more back to normal, you might be better off doing your own air, getting ticketed, getting the seats you want rather than wait all the way until Viking tickets 60 days out and those options are gone and you're stuck in middle seats in the back.

Just my observation -- and we will be not using Viking Air again until quite awhile.

I too am quite disappointed.

• Like 1