Skagway White Pass Railroad Tour

carlsbadguy

I was encouraged to ask this question here on CC as someone who has taken the excursion may know. The excursion includes lunch on your own, I believe at Lake Bennett. Does anyone know what vegetarian options there are to be had there? Alternatively, we'll "cheat" and have seafood or shellfish if there is no vegetarian choice. What about seafood or shellfish choices?

I was encouraged to ask this question here on CC as someone who has taken the excursion may know. The excursion includes lunch on your own, I believe at Lake Bennett. Does anyone know what vegetarian options there are to be had there? Alternatively, we'll "cheat" and have seafood or shellfish if there is no vegetarian choice. What about seafood or shellfish choices?

There are no eating facilities at Lake Bennett. Lunch is always included (unless it's changed from last year) and is a box lunch served on the train. I assume there is a vegetarian option, but I don't know if you have to let them know beforehand. There are places to get food and snacks (ice cream!) in Carcross, but you would not be there long enough for a full, sit-down meal.

If you are on the Lake Bennett tour, the train leaves at 7:30am. It is always the first train of the day. The train is much slower than the bus and makes the minute stop at Lake Bennett, so the bus leaves later.

Thanks Budget Queen. DD and I decided on the train which includes Lake Bennett. It is train first, then bus so thinking best views would be on the left. Am I correct?

You're correct.

To cover some of the questions others have asked earlier, we hit a heavy bank of fog on the way down in the afternoon, but most of the rest of the train ride was clear. The morning drive up had light rain and mist. We had some extra time after the trip for Skagway, but really didn't feel like spending much more than 20 minutes.

The wildlife (taxidermy) museum at lunch was more interesting than the description initially led me to expect.

Keep your eyes out for wildlife while on the bus. We saw a moose and a lynx (and got great pictures of both). Many other people on our cruise who took similar tours saw bears.

I don't remember much about the lunch. I believe it was "enough" food, but not so much that I felt full. It struck me as average quality (or slightly above) for what you might expect out in the middle of nowhere.

This is the 7.5 hour train/bus combo day. There is no audio on the outside platforms, probably by design so people don't hog the space for long periods and everyone who wants to can have some time out there. Chilkoot don't guarantee having the end car but usually do. If you do it I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. All the best, Tony

3WSaRzt5N0Q aFpz4AHOcUs

There are no eating facilities at Lake Bennett. Lunch is always included (unless it's changed from last year) and is a box lunch served on the train. I assume there is a vegetarian option, but I don't know if you have to let them know beforehand. There are places to get food and snacks (ice cream!) in Carcross, but you would not be there long enough for a full, sit-down meal.

If you are on the Lake Bennett tour, the train leaves at 7:30am. It is always the first train of the day. The train is much slower than the bus and makes the minute stop at Lake Bennett, so the bus leaves later.

There is a vegetarian option for the box lunch. You need to indicate you want it when you make your reservation.

Depending on the day, you may have the choice of train first or bus first or there may be only one option. On Fridays, this train only goes from Skagway to Carcross. On Saturdays, it only goes from Carcross to Skagway. On Monday, this train doesn't run, only the shorter train trip to the Summit is available.