Hotel near Cape Liberty Port

Planning on July 12. Sounds like I need to pick one of SOL or Ellis. Are there ferries reasonable walking distance from the hotel? I would buy tickets ahead of time if possible.

https://www.statuecruises.com/departure-schedule#/

http://libertylandingferry.com/

The SOL ferry stops at both Liberty Island and Ellis Island. The ferry from NJ tends to be much less crowded and much easier to just show up and buy tickets. We did that on a gorgeous Sunday in early Sep and had no problem. If you're not planning on doing the pedestal or crown, I would consider not pre purchasing tickets when going from NJ.

Here's my suggestion:

The Liberty Landing ferry is about 9 blocks from your hotel at the foot of Warren Street, runs every half hour, and costs $2, so plan to walk or cab it over to the ferry landing. Across tge little channel at Liberty Landing walk out to Audrey Zapp Drive and left towards the river to the ticket office. Be sure to leave enough time to go through security and walk out to the ferry pier itself (read the security requirements on the SOL website).

From the SOL or Ellis Island you can take the ferry back to Manhattan and walk to the 911 Memorial area and go to the Museum and/or the Freedom Tower. The World Trade Center PATH Station is right there. To get back to your hotel take the Newark Path train two stops to Grove St.

The SOL ferry stops at both Liberty Island and Ellis Island. The ferry from NJ tends to be much less crowded and much easier to just show up and buy tickets. We did that on a gorgeous Sunday in early Sep and had no problem. If you're not planning on doing the pedestal or crown, I would consider not pre purchasing tickets when going from NJ.

Here's my suggestion:

The Liberty Landing ferry is about 9 blocks from your hotel at the foot of Warren Street, runs every half hour, and costs $2, so plan to walk or cab it over to the ferry landing. Across tge little channel at Liberty Landing walk out to Audrey Zapp Drive and left towards the river to the ticket office. Be sure to leave enough time to go through security and walk out to the ferry pier itself (read the security requirements on the SOL website).

From the SOL or Ellis Island you can take the ferry back to Manhattan and walk to the 911 Memorial area and go to the Museum and/or the Freedom Tower. The World Trade Center PATH Station is right there. To get back to your hotel take the Newark Path train two stops to Grove St.

Carol, thank-you VERY much! This looks perfect. When are you opening your travel agency?

Carol, thank-you VERY much! This looks perfect. When are you opening your travel agency?

Ha! Ha! When pigs fly!

If you do this trip, could you write about your experiences and review the Residence Inn on the East Coast Board?

I actually did the Liberty State Park ferry to the Liberty Landing ferry across to the foot of Warren St when we stayed at the Courtyard (The others actually went to Ellis Island, but I needed a nap before the evening's wedding event). I walked to the Essex St light rail to get back to the Courtyard, so I know this trip is doable, but it does involve some walking.

Ha! Ha! When pigs fly!

If you do this trip, could you write about your experiences and review the Residence Inn on the East Coast Board?

I actually did the Liberty State Park ferry to the Liberty Landing ferry across to the foot of Warren St when we stayed at the Courtyard (The others actually went to Ellis Island, but I needed a nap before the evening's wedding event). I walked to the Essex St light rail to get back to the Courtyard, so I know this trip is doable, but it does involve some walking.

Sure, I can write about it.

Just for the heck of it, I looked on the map for Grant's Tomb and found it's way far away from the 9/11 memorial. Too far for this trip.

Here's my suggestion:

Just in case it was not clear, if you want to do the pedestal or the crown you should check availability NOW. Personally if you are tight on time I am not sure it is worth it. There are also additional security checks/lines that add additional time to the whole trip.

Also, while off season I have taken a drive to Liberty State park on the spur of the moment and had zero problems getting on a ferry to Ellis Island/Statute of Liberty it is likely different in July when there are more tourists. Tickets are around $20. There can also be some delay getting through security so plan on that.

Boat schedules vary by season.

Just in case it was not clear, if you want to do the pedestal or the crown you should check availability NOW. Personally if you are tight on time I am not sure it is worth it. There are also additional security checks/lines that add additional time to the whole trip.

Also, while off season I have taken a drive to Liberty State park on the spur of the moment and had zero problems getting on a ferry to Ellis Island/Statute of Liberty it is likely different in July when there are more tourists. Tickets are around $20. There can also be some delay getting through security so plan on that.

Boat schedules vary by season.

I appreciate the additional info. Since we are tight on time, I was thinking it would be good to skip the crown.

I appreciate the additional info. Since we are tight on time, I was thinking it would be good to skip the crown.

Bob - if you run tight on time, you can always take a cab or Uber from the hotel to the ferry in Liberty State Park. It's less than 3 miles. The Liberty Landing ferry, although very cute and a different experience, only runs every half hour. Your prime objective is to make the SOL ferry. This is the segment where you have a chance to make up lost time.

Having been in NYC this past weekend, it seemed like everything just takes more time. I basically knew where I wanted to go (and had been there before), but things like being on the wrong end of a subway train or just trying to find the correct downtown entrance in the complicated Columbus Circle station added minutes to the trip.

Bob - if you run tight on time, you can always take a cab or Uber from the hotel to the ferry in Liberty State Park. It's less than 3 miles. The Liberty Landing ferry, although very cute and a different experience, only runs every half hour. Your prime objective is to make the SOL ferry. This is the segment where you have a chance to make up lost time.

Having been in NYC this past weekend, it seemed like everything just takes more time. I basically knew where I wanted to go (and had been there before), but things like being on the wrong end of a subway train or just trying to find the correct downtown entrance in the complicated Columbus Circle station added minutes to the trip.

Good idea, thanks!

Could you provde more details? If you arrive at 2 pm, what had you planned to do or wanted to do that afternoon and evening? IMO Embassy Suites is one of the best hotel choices at EWR because of its location next to Jersey Gardens Mall, its cocktail hour and free breakfast, and its port shuttle option. However, it might not be your best choice if you want to run in and out of NYC for the evening without spending 1+ hour each way plus $13/pp each way. It's always comes down to a choice between time, money, and stress.

We had not planned on doing anything major that afternoon and evening, but if something is fairly easy to get to we might venture out. Stress is the biggest consideration... I am a little worried that we will reach the hotel around 3 pm and the three teenage boys will be bored. Thanks for the feedback on the hotel. It makes me feel better about my choice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruised out of Cape Liberty last year and stayed at the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson. It was perfect as the PATH station is 50 feet away, right next to the hotel. The ferry across to the memorial is also very close. There are a number of eateries close by and for lunch a sandwich bar just past the PATH station. The hotel arranged a pick up for me and my better half from JFK to the hotel (I think it was $150) and a cab to the port which was inexpensive.

As we had a flight leaving at around 6pm on the return we headed back to the hotel where they accommodated our luggage (we also had another group we met on the cruise with us who were on the same flight which gave us a chance to walk around the area as we had many hours to wait till the flight). The hotel was brilliant and organised a large van for all of us (8 I think).

We had a room overlooking the Hudson and it was fab.

All in all it was spot on

We had not planned on doing anything major that afternoon and evening, but if something is fairly easy to get to we might venture out. Stress is the biggest consideration... I am a little worried that we will reach the hotel around 3 pm and the three teenage boys will be bored. Thanks for the feedback on the hotel. It makes me feel better about my choice!

Embassy Suites has a pool. In addition to a zillion outlet stores Jersey Gardens has a movie complex - https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/elizabeth/amc-loews-jersey-gardens-20

Going in and out of NYC on the train would be expensive for 5 people - about $130 round trip. However there is bus service from Jersey Gardens Mall to Port Authority Bs Terminal which we could research for you.

Carol, while you have nothing to do except help us plan our trips (kidding), I have another question.

The website for the Residence Inn in Jersey City under transportation mentions using the AirTrain from EWR for $5.50. From what I can tell, we cannot stay on the AirTrain the entire trip, we would have to switch to some other train at the Newark Liberty International Airport Station, but the website does not mention which train. I'm pretty sure because of our time contraints that we will do Dial7 from EWR to the hotel, but I'm curious about the train logistics, especially with bags.

Carol, while you have nothing to do except help us plan our trips (kidding), I have another question.

The website for the Residence Inn in Jersey City under transportation mentions using the AirTrain from EWR for $5.50. From what I can tell, we cannot stay on the AirTrain the entire trip, we would have to switch to some other train at the Newark Liberty International Airport Station, but the website does not mention which train. I'm pretty sure because of our time contraints that we will do Dial7 from EWR to the hotel, but I'm curious about the train logistics, especially with bags.

I actually learn a lot from helping others plan their trips plus by keeping up with all the posts by cc'ers who share their particular travel experiences or local expertise.

IMO the Marriott website does not provide clear information about how to get to Residence Inn by public transit from EWR. Here's the deal:

Within Newark airport Airtrain is free to go between all stops except the Newark Airport train station (this station has no vehicle access). You can ride Airtrain to the Station, but there is a $5.50 access fee to actually get into the station.

The reality is that no one is going to pay to get into this station unless they're taking a train somewhere. All the train fares from Newark airport station are quoted with the $5.50 included, so the fare on NJ Transit from Newark Airport is $8.50 for adults and $6.85 for seniors. The $8.50 is the $5.50 Airtrain fee plus $3.00 train fare and the $6.85 is the $5.50 Airtrain fee plus a $1.35 train fare.

At Newark Penn Station you usually can transfer right across the platform to PATH to take any train to Grove St Station in Jersey City for $2.75. So the trip from Newark Airport to Residence Inn ends up costing $11.25.

The PATH train starts at Newark Penn Station so you can usually get a seat in the middle of the day.

This is a mostly an accessible trip with bags, but there is some sort of hokey way at Grove St to get to the mezzanine level via an ADA lift. Haven't seen that so I can't speak to it. When I go in January I will probably just carry my bags up the one flight of stairs.

Since you're pressed for time, Dial7 would probably be faster for you overall.

I actually learn a lot from helping others plan their trips plus by keeping up with all the posts by cc'ers who share their particular travel experiences or local expertise.

IMO the Marriott website does not provide clear information about how to get to Residence Inn by public transit from EWR. Here's the deal:

Within Newark airport Airtrain is free to go between all stops except the Newark Airport train station (this station has no vehicle access). You can ride Airtrain to the Station, but there is a $5.50 access fee to actually get into the station.

The reality is that no one is going to pay to get into this station unless they're taking a train somewhere. All the train fares from Newark airport station are quoted with the $5.50 included, so the fare on NJ Transit from Newark Airport is $8.50 for adults and $6.85 for seniors. The $8.50 is the $5.50 Airtrain fee plus $3.00 train fare and the $6.85 is the $5.50 Airtrain fee plus a $1.35 train fare.

At Newark Penn Station you usually can transfer right across the platform to PATH to take any train to Grove St Station in Jersey City for $2.75. So the trip from Newark Airport to Residence Inn ends up costing $11.25.

The PATH train starts at Newark Penn Station so you can usually get a seat in the middle of the day.

This is a mostly an accessible trip with bags, but there is some sort of hokey way at Grove St to get to the mezzanine level via an ADA lift. Haven't seen that so I can't speak to it. When I go in January I will probably just carry my bags up the one flight of stairs.

Since you're pressed for time, Dial7 would probably be faster for you overall.

Really interesting, I can now see why I was so confused when I read the fare was $5.50 on the Marriott website.

Jumping in on this thread...we are sailing out of Bayonne on 5/31, and booked the Embassy in Elizabeth. We arrive at EWR around 2 pm on 5/30. I’m beginning to think I may need to switch hotels. What are the drawbacks of staying where we are booked? Thanks!

We stayed at the Embassy in Elizabeth end of Jan. It was great. They have a free airport shuttle. We paid around$20 pp for the shuttle to the port. The mall is a short walk. There is a Johnny Rockets in the mall, there is also a Ruby Tuesdays right across the street, and an IHOP. We were tired after our flight , so just went to the mall and ate at Johnny Rockets and back to the hotel.:D

For our trip in May I booked through Priceline's Name Your Own Price. IMO it worked out great. We got the W Hotel Hoboken for a base rate of 163CAD or ~128USD (201CAD/157USD after taxes & fees which is much better than the $453CAD they were asking for in the regular search engine section of Priceline.)

When searching in Jersey City, Priceline only offers four 4 star hotel options in the area they define as "Jersey City - Hoboken - Weehawken." This minimizes the risk and makes it pretty easy to figure out which hotel you're bidding on.

For our trip in May I booked through Priceline's Name Your Own Price. IMO it worked out great. We got the W Hotel Hoboken for a base rate of 163CAD or ~128USD (201CAD/157USD after taxes & fees which is much better than the $453CAD they were asking for in the regular search engine section of Priceline.)

When searching in Jersey City, Priceline only offers four 4 star hotel options in the area they define as "Jersey City - Hoboken - Weehawken." This minimizes the risk and makes it pretty easy to figure out which hotel you're bidding on.

You got a great deal. Congratulations! Any 3.5*+ hotel in this area is going to be good. These are relatively new business travel hotels and often have great rates on a weekend night plus good transportation options for going into NYC and accessible public transit/cab options for Cape Liberty. Hotwire defines the area a bit differently with Jersey City as one area and Hoboken-Union City as another option. Lastminutetravel also can offer named hotels at excellent rates. I got a great refundable deal through them at the Residence Inn in Jersey City (new hotel) for next January. There are more and more options in this area which is keeping prices competitive.