Hop on /hop off Hong Kong

Ellaleah

we will be in Hong Kong next month and will probably buy a 2 day pass for the “Big Bus.” It’s just a small amount more for the Night Tour, but youncan’t get off the bus as you proceed. We do want to see the night markets, but would like to see the markets off the bus. Is it worth it to add the night tour just to see all the markets first?

No it is not worth it. I have used these buses and they are good. But the night markets is done as part of returning the buses to the depot. It only goes near the market on the Kowloon,side of Hong Kong, like Temple Street Night Market and Ladies Market. And only one chance to get off each market, then you find your own way between them.

A better plan in my opinion use the Bus to tour and go to Hong Kong Island, then after get off at the MTR and take the red line to Jordan / Nathan Road for the Temple Street Night Market, which is less than 150 meters away. And then get but on the MRT and go to Mong Kok/ Nathan Road for the Ladies Market. From Hong Kong Island to Jordan is 20 to 25 minutes, from Jordan to Mong Kok is 9 minutes on the MTR or 25 minutes to walk (1.7 km).

After the markets a taxi back to the ship is a good choice or the MRT. I am not sure which of the two cruise ship terminals you are docking at so my information back to ship is not complete. You may also want to check out the Goldfish Market, Flower Market, and Bird Market. All located within 1 km of the Ladies Market. Even if you are not into fish, it is a very interest place, hundreds of shops, fish, plants, also dogs and cats. I saw some of the nicest looking show cats I have ever seen my last trip to the Goldfish Market.

If you cannot tell already I really like Hong Kong it is a great place that I try to visit every few months. Hope this information helps your trip.

Good Location you are a five minute walk to the Tsim Sha Tsui Station. About the same to the harbor and the ferry to Hong Kong Island (must do great views). You also should spend one night at the harbor to watch the light show. What other things have you planned for Hong Kong? Are you going to Stanley or Ocean Park on Hong Kong Island? At Ocean Park you can see the Giant Pandas. Ocean is a MTR stop, Stanley is a Big Bus Stop.

So many things to do five days is not a lot of time. Also I do not know it you have been told, several companies offer hosted tours to mainland China which are one day, low cost, and the best part no visa needed, the tour guide signs you in and out of mainland China. The group tours have 2 to 30 people on them and start at your hotel and return end of day. You also have Hong Kong Disney, which again short MTR ride to Disney Station. I'm sure you will have a great trip.

Thank you again for all your useful information. We are planning on Hong Kong Island and Stanley, but hadn’t really considered Ocean Park until your suggestion. I guess I need to relook at that. We talked about mainland China, but it looked like we would need to leave at the crack of dawn. Is that true?

it has been a couple years since I did the China Mainland tour, as I remember the pickup at your hotel was between 7:30 am to 8:00 am or 8:00 am to 8:30 it depends upon your location. When you go to Hong Kong Island The Hop Bus Starts in Central, you can take the bus from near your hotel but it takes longer. Your bus fare includes a trip across the harbor on the ferry which docks at Central. Maybe three things to do on the Island: The Peak Tram, Ocean Park and Stanley. If you did The Peak Tram first you could then take the bus to Stanley, explore and return to the bus to Ocean Park. leaving Ocean Park you would have the option to take the bus back, or the MTR to your hotel. By doing Ocean Park last you could stay later if you want, because you have the MTR. Lots of options for you to pick from.

" hosted tours to mainland China"

We are very interested. After two visits to Hong Kong, we are looking for more places to see. What exactly would we see on such a tour?

Many different tours are offered. Most have some shopping on them. I cannot give you tour names here as not allowed to advertise tour business under the rules. But if you google "day tours to mainland china from hong kong" you will have many options.

Please note, you need to book ahead and give complete information as the group tour visa needs to be done. You also most stay with the tour, you cannot go off on your own. But the tour guides will give you time to explore and shop alone if you want. They just set meeting places, or they will take you everywhere. It is well worth checking out.

Trips to Guangzhou, Zhuhai, Shenzhen are all offered. The pricing is about $200 per person.