Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I agree 100% with your rankings.

Don't think Chris will make it to the end but I loved the purple as well and am anxious to see what else he comes up with. Simone, oh Simone that was so bad. At the very least she should have made sure the workmanship of her dress was impeccable.

Elisa with the flowy poo dress has no business being there if she "creates" any more fashion like she did, but at least her construction of the top of the dress looked somewhat finished.

If you take a look at that dress, it was sewn with only one seam. I don't know about you but you have to be an expert seamstress to be able to do that.

Chris's dress was my absolute favorite.

Well, I took a break from cooking to watch Episode 2 last night. Is it just me, or does Christian remind anyone of a snarky mini-me version of Jeffrey from last season? He and Carmen were definitely channeling the 80s last night! I was having bad fashion flashbacks....

Pretty tough challenge to design 2 pieces for $15 total in one day. Elisa surprised me -- but how much was due to Sweet Pea coming to the rescue? IMHO, Viktoria deserved the win -- seemed like she got it right in terms of what would fit with the Bitten line, although not my personal favorite.

Not much to comment on in terms of cruise wear from this eppy!

Well, I took a break from cooking to watch Episode 2 last night. Is it just me, or does Christian remind anyone of a snarky mini-me version of Jeffrey from last season? He and Carmen were definitely channeling the 80s last night! I was having bad fashion flashbacks....

Pretty tough challenge to design 2 pieces for $15 total in one day. Elisa surprised me -- but how much was due to Sweet Pea coming to the rescue? IMHO, Viktoria deserved the win -- seemed like she got it right in terms of what would fit with the Bitten line, although not my personal favorite.

Not much to comment on in terms of cruise wear from this eppy!

Could you imagine Christian and Jeffrey on the same show? Confidence can be good, but when one is SO confident to say theirs is the best and they end up in the bottom, one looks rather foolish.

Elisa WAS a surprise and probably would have tanked without Sweet Pea.

Cruise wear, or even for any other wear? Certainly nothing for me. But then none of it fits my life style and I know I don't fit the Bitten line profile so I can't comment on who I thought should win. I'll take the expert's word on this one.

I definitely agreed with the bottom two and the top two. I really did like Elisa and Sweet Pea's dress. Hopefully Elisa will listen and quit with the spit marking (and other little quirks).

Christian's attitude is his biggest problem. Let's see. The line is for the everyday woman, so let's make a really tight, really short dress, with an extremely tight jacket. :rolleyes:

I was very pleased with how people worked together this time. They did it (at least according to the editing) without snarking and without hurting each other's feelings.

If you take a look at that dress, it was sewn with only one seam. I don't know about you but you have to be an expert seamstress to be able to do that.

Chris's dress was my absolute favorite.

Yes, I did know that and I do think it was an accomplishment in itself, to have the dress fit her body like that. Perhaps that is why she sewed it by hand right onto her own body, to get the curves into the fabric. I used to do that with polyester fabric on my Barbie doll. I do think she was "saved" by Sweet P this week and I also think she does have some design savvy, she's just so off the wall with her methods, I don't think it can last the season, but we may be surprised :) .

Thanks, Curt for posting the photos, it's great to see them still.

Looking closer at them, many of them look absolutely horrid in photos, especially Marions, the uneven hem going on does not look great in a still photo at all. The pants on Carmens outfit look too short, not cropped, just too short! Kit, Steven, Jillian are just lucky three others did so bad :rolleyes: I like Jacks dress as well as Chris's, the rest (except the top 3) are pretty forgettable.

There were a few things in episode 2 that I thought looked great. Elisa and Sweet P's dress I liked a lot, but I don't care for capes at all and did not share the opinion of the judges on that. The outfits that had leggings were a bit boring to me. I think the winner and loser of this episode were the correct choices.

In order, my comments I'll get to later...

Team challenge, designing for SJP's "Bitten" line which is sold at Steve and Barry's nationwide (note somewhere in previous posts I have mentioned that store for great inexpensive clothing for "younger" men and women - their target market is basically college age to late 30s...)

So understanding the line and store very well, this all makes sense...

Ideal for them is, classy, yet forward thinking...

Can fit several body types, yet be affordable...

#1 Victorya and Kevin

rate_runway_06_402.jpg

Made perfect sense for what the Bitten line looks for, I agreed 100% for this particular challenge...

#6 Christian and Carmen

rate_runway_02_402.jpg

Okay...

So last time I didn't say anything, because they were supposed to show their vision as a designer...

But I thoughts Christian's last week looked like 1980s Valley girl...

This week it's now 1980s Ziggy Stardust...

All fine and good, but for Bitten line? Something several body types could buy and wear?

So not! And the dress under the jacket, even made the super thin model look like she had a "pooch"!

Extremely disappointed, and I personally think that Christian's "good for TV" personality, edged him over the decision here...

#6 Marion and Steven

rate_runway_07_402.jpg

I knew this would be out, because neither one of these designers has a good TV persona (not exciting or good for TV compared to Christian)...

Also, not good for Bitten, but actually I think a better Bitten design than Christian's.

If maybe the fabric choice had been better...

Note that this has the same drapey, lots of women could wear this ideal that got the top two slots...

Just didn't end up well in the fabric choice or the execution...

So there you go...

I won't get to this week until later...

Some thoughts as I'm watching this...

Oh my goodness the models are HOT!!! But then some of these designers went and made them UGLY with their designs.

And I can't wait to hear what Curt has to say about this week! :P

#6 Marion and Steven

rate_runway_07_402.jpg

I knew this would be out, because neither one of these designers has a good TV persona (not exciting or good for TV compared to Christian)...

Also, not good for Bitten, but actually I think a better Bitten design than Christian's.

If maybe the fabric choice had been better...

Note that this has the same drapey, lots of women could wear this ideal that got the top two slots...

Just didn't end up well in the fabric choice or the execution...

I agree with you.

This dress and Christian's dress were the two worst. However, this dress, from Marion & Steven had a lot more customer appeal than Christian's. Truth is, Bitten is not going to reproduce any dress exactly, so this dress could easily be done in a fabric that doesn't "grow" and they'd tweak the fit a little. ALOT more salable than Christian's. But you're right, the choice was made because Christian makes for more interesting viewing than Steve or Marion and that's why he made it through to the next round.

So this week who I vote the worst and who should be off is...

The Producers!

Great challenge "concept", so much potential.

Then they go and ruin the entire "execution" by basically creatively tying the designer's hands behind their backs and constricted them with Tiki Barber!

Now nothing against Tiki Barber, but here is why this choice sucked apples all around.

#1 He is a somewhat stylish, but very conservative sports guy. American football players (and especially retired ones that now do commentary on TV) are among the most fashion conservative and restrictive.

#2 He is on one of the most conservative TV shows ever, The Today Show. There is a very fine accepted limit on what those guy can wear.

#3 It had to "read well" for video taped TV, which limits the choices even more.

Blah, and a big Blah, and you can see the results because of this were also pretty much a big blah.

I was so excited at the beginning of this challenge and the possibilities, and then I could see it just going all downhill really quickly.

What would have made this better, more creative, better TV and a better challenge? Ideas off the top of my head...

Get a more fashion forward sports guy...

David Beckham? Anyone more interesting.

Get someone with a better job for the designers to have fun with...

MTV or VH1 reporter perhaps? Actor for the red carpet? P. Diddy?

Get an event that actually requires "fashion"...

Grammy Awards? VH1's Fashion Rocks? Ugly Betty cameo for an actor?

So this ended up being, show us what a creative designer you are- but you can only use conservative colors, and make a conservative outfit!?!?!

I'm going to then give my comments on what was good for the challenge constrictions itself, and then also in general what was good regardless of the challenge.

But before that...

I'm not sure why they are calling this a Project Runway "first", and making a big deal out of it...

It was done on a much smaller scale, with much better results and more fun when they had to do makeovers for each other near the end of Season 2.

Each designer had to do a makeover for another designer. Well at the time 3 of the remaining designers were men, so it's been done before and better...

My favorite makeover that episode was Santino by Kara:

10_03_Kara.jpg

He was kind of rough and edgy before, and she made a casual but funky weekend look for his, that worked great.

Second favorite was Nick by Chloe:

10_01_Chloe.jpg

Unfortunately you can't see that when he turns around, that instead of using a matching pinstripes or dark material on the back of the vest, which is typical, she used a bright pink material that was a great "pop" when he turned around (darker than his shirt)...

It was totally like, with a jacket on, work conservative for day, take the jacket off to reveal the bright color for an evening party or event.

Finally Daniel by Nick:

10_04_Nick.jpg

This was really well made, the only problem was that the material was a little to lightweight for a suit. But, seriously, look at this and the design and construction compared to the upcoming messes and disasters from this week!

I just got caught up. What a tough challenge that men's wear was!!!!! Lots of catastrophes there.

You guys quit hating on Elise. She's getting with the game plan. I thought her outfit was the absolute best from episode 2 and I liked her men's wear interpretation as well. She's different, but she has a good feel for design. BTW, it was the dress from episode 2 that was polymorphic. I'm really into clothes like that -- but try to find them!!

I'm glad Sweet P didn't get sent home yet for her shirt catastrophe. I still think we'll see some great things from her. Could be wrong, but the work they showed she had done prior to this show looked good (unless I have her mixed up with Kit, which is entirely possible:rolleyes: )

Kit should have won the mens wear challenge IMHO. The fleece jacket was very nice. And she made everything she planned on.

CJW, don't know if I can go with your attitude about whoever makes good TV gets to stay. If so, Carmen would have stayed. She has a lot of personality and doesn't mind showing it. LOL

The winner...

Jack

rate_runway_11_403.jpg

And I cannot disagree or be underwhelmed more...

First of all he used his own pants for the pattern (fine it's in the rules, people have done things like that before) so all he did was copy those in another material.

Secondly that shirt is boring, and has been around for years.

I can buy several versions of this exact outfit right NOW on any online store. Literally there's hundreds out there just like it.

How is this a winning or innovative design?!?!

How is this creative at all?

Runner Up...

Kevin

rate_runway_09_403.jpg

This is David Beckham (in a good way), and should have won in general.

Why? There is an actual original thought and "concept" here.

Then also, Tiki kept saying that he was not afraid of color, and then he was...

This definitely needed some adjustments for Tiki, but it was too much for him. Again, get David Beckham, or P. Diddy, or Johnny Depp for God's sake in a challenge like this.

They might as well have taken a Wall Street Banker guy and made him the client for the amount of restrictions here.

Kit

rate_runway_04_403.jpg

Now in the context of this specific challenge, and this specific client (Tiki) this unquestionably should have won for these restrictions.

Great colors and tones for a conservative TV show. Plays on camera nicely. The details were very creative, but still keeping in Tiki's conservative bounds. Best creative, but keeping in the boundaries.

I think only if there had bit a "tiny" bit more color in the shirt, maybe he would have responded better.

She was robbed.